Honda Goldwing Forum banner

841 - 860 of 866 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Rode to Maggie Valley on Saturday morning, camped there overnight, rode the Cherokee - Newfound Gap - Gatlinburg run and back with the wife on the bike (our first real ride together), then camped again, and back to Charlotte yesterday.

Used the return ride to try out the "action camera" video, and wasn't a real fan of the distraction and process (or the post processing). Probably not something I'll do very often.

·
Super Moderator
14,215 Posts
Rode to Maggie Valley on Saturday morning, camped there overnight, rode the Cherokee - Newfound Gap - Gatlinburg run and back with the wife on the bike (our first real ride together), then camped again, and back to Charlotte yesterday.
Thanks for sharing. An awesome area to ride. RayJ and I rode through there last year on our way back from Virginia. I added an extra day of leave from work due to eye trouble. Eye couldn't see stopping the ride to go back to work. We crossed the Tennessee/North Carolina state line in 10 or more places and ended up in north Georgia on the last night.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Heck we passed that restaurant at least three times crownfire posted a picture, we will definitely stop in there next time we get through there. When we went past this year it seemed they were closed. They started to open up the state to outside dining so maybe they will be open next time. I will ride all day for a good meal.😁

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Rode again with the Christian Motorcycle Association (CMA) last night. They meet at the Marathon station on East Beltline Rd. in Grand Rapids, MI. That is about 26 miles from my home. We rode by way of every windy road in area, to the Curly Cone in Gun Lake, MI. Gun Lake ice cream.jpg CMA @Curly Cone in Gun Lake, MI.jpg CMA ride to Curly Cone.jpg
After my ice cream and a visit with the group I rode home. Curly Cone to home is 51 miles. So I got a total of 132 miles and a blueberry milkshake in last night. Pretty nice evening.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Rode again with the Christian Motorcycle Association (CMA) last night. They meet at the Marathon station on East Beltline Rd. in Grand Rapids, MI. That is about 26 miles from my home. We rode by way of every windy road in area, to the Curly Cone in Gun Lake, MI. View attachment 272411 View attachment 272412 View attachment 272413
After my ice cream and a visit with the group I rode home. Curly Cone to home is 51 miles. So I got a total of 132 miles and a blueberry milkshake in last night. Pretty nice evening.
When i used to fly we would go get a $100 hamburger. That is fly to an airport an hour away. Eat a burger and fly back. You did the same thing. A $25 shake. All in good fun.

·
Registered
88 Posts
When i used to fly we would go get a $100 hamburger. That is fly to an airport an hour away. Eat a burger and fly back. You did the same thing. A $25 shake. All in good fun.
It's funny you mention the $100 burger. Some good friends of mine used to live in Texas and flew. They've told us several times about getting together with other folks and flying in for a Hundred dollar burger. They described it almost word for word as you did. Small world.

·
Registered
603 Posts
It's funny you mention the $100 burger. Some good friends of mine used to live in Texas and flew. They've told us several times about getting together with other folks and flying in for a Hundred dollar burger. They described it almost word for word as you did. Small world.
It is a pilot thing. I don’t do that anymore but now I have eaten a bunch of $25 burgers in the past 15 years.

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Had a few errands to run this afternoon and my Wing has been sitting for several weeks. Fired right up and I headed out with dark clouds in every direction but blue skies over my head. A quick check of the wind and figured the clouds would be heading from the SE. Hit my first stop and ran in for 10 minutes. Came out and the clouds were approaching. A quick 15 mile run to my second stop and the clouds had switched directions. Took care of business and when I came out clouds were approaching from the opposite direction. I decided to head straight home and skip my last stop. As I was pulling down my road the rain began but I was able to get in the garage before the downpour. It only lasted a few minutes but it was a very cold rain. I kept getting the XM radio alert saying rain and thunderstorms in the area so I knew I was in trouble.

Total mileage was only 35 miles but the bike ran great and it felt good to get back on the Wing.

·
Registered
479 Posts
With a name like Dutch kitchen hope they have filling and shop fly pie cause I would ride all day for good wet bottom shoo fly pie and I will eat filling with soup. Wife says I'm addicted along with ham or steak and I am a happy man.😂👍
Barry, it’s a day‘s ride for you to Patti’s in Grand Rivers, KY where they have “Bills Boat Sinker” pie, it’s just off I-24 @ the northern end of Land Between the Lakes. The pork chop there is legendary in these parts. I have not had “Shoo Fly“ pie.... but maybe GWOF ought to have a ride (Greet n Meet) at the 2 places and vote on which is best😇?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Thanks for sharing. An awesome area to ride. RayJ and I rode through there last year on our way back from Virginia. I added an extra day of leave from work due to eye trouble. Eye couldn't see stopping the ride to go back to work. We crossed the Tennessee/North Carolina state line in 10 or more places and ended up in north Georgia on the last night.
Ummmm, “Eye Trouble”..... need to remember that one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rode again with the Christian Motorcycle Association (CMA) last night. They meet at the Marathon station on East Beltline Rd. in Grand Rapids, MI. That is about 26 miles from my home. We rode by way of every windy road in area, to the Curly Cone in Gun Lake, MI. View attachment 272411 View attachment 272412 View attachment 272413
Fantastic turner out!!!

·
Super Moderator
14,215 Posts
After spending the morning cutting grass and getting the yard into proper shape I took a short but brisk ride. Went north on Old Canton Road and then US 51 past Canton to MS 16. West bound took me to Benton to the road I was looking for. I hadn't ridden the curves on MS 433 for a while and that took me west to Bentonia. I almost stopped at the Blue Front Cafe (an old blues joint) but decided to keep moving. South on US 49 took me to Flora and then east on MS 22 back towards Canton. I turned south on US 51 and almost hit a home run. The throw in from center field had me hold up on third. This is third base;
2020 06 21.jpg
You know, last stop before home. My favorite beer store, had a pint and then headed to the house and grilled some steaks. A nice little 80 mile loop. Puts me in the mood to ride farther.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
My wife had today off work, so we got up early and headed for Mackinaw City for lunch. My brother went with us as well. Took off a 6:00am, at about 6:20 while riding a county road with woods right to the ditch, had a deer run out of woods, jump the ditch and jump over my front fender, well close. As soon as I seen it I was hard on brakes, Cindy splatted against my back and deer leaped across road no more than 2' from the nose of our fairing, That will get your heart going first thing in the morning.
The rest of the trip went well. We made it to Mackinaw bought some fudge, a hoody for Cindy and had lunch (pulled pork bbq sandwich) at the Dixie Saloon. Downtown Mackinaw City (2).JPG After wandering around town a while,only about half the shops were open and not a lot of people. Seemed to be a pretty good crowd at the ferry docks to go to island. IMG_1642.JPG
Rode back down thru Petoskey and stopped in Mancelona for ice cream then headed for home. Round trip was 476 miles. Big Mac.JPG Downtown Mackinaw City.JPG IMG_1654.JPG Dave and Cindy.JPG Mackinaw trip 2020.JPG

·
Super Moderator
11,476 Posts
Glad you missed the deer. Sounds like a good day otherwise.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
I drive ( sometimes Wing ride) 48 mi one way to work. In fall of year I counted 5 dead deer on side of road in 15 mi stretch of interstate. That was just on one side, I could not see what may have been dead on other direction of highway. They appear so fast there is little time to react.

sounds like great day of riding w better half

·
Registered
249 Posts
Rode up to class's old stomping grounds and stopped at the Dutch Kitchen and it was 👍👍👍👍. Talked to Jennifer and told her Bill said hello. The Dutch Kitchen is everything Bill said great Dutch food and a lot of it. Jennifer did say she took your picture off the banned board since you moved.LMAO.

841 - 860 of 866 Posts