Honda Goldwing Forum banner

821 - 840 of 866 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,250 Posts
RayJ called asking if I wanted to ride with he and Judy to Port Gibson. Since I hadn't been down that way in a while (and the warden granted me a reprieve from painting for the day) I was happy to go along. They live an hour northeast of me, so we met up at the Ross Barnett Reservoir overlook on the Natchez Trace.
2020 05 29 Port Gibson run 01 (2).jpg
We had a nice run down the Trace to Raymond where we got on the Old Port Gibson Road. Ray suggested it as Judy had never traveled it before and I always try to take visitors along it. It's an old road that follows the ridges and was the route Grant and his army took to end up at Vicksburg in 1863. (A history interest enters into many of my rides.) My normal route is to turn north at Fisher Ferry Road and head to Vicksburg for lunch. But we kept going west to US 61 and then south to Port Gibson. Lunch was at the local Sonic.
2020 05 29 Port Gibson run 02 (2).jpg
As you can see Judy has a very nice looking bike, even if it is a Harley. After lunch we headed down the Rodney Road to the old Windsor Plantation ruins. This is the plantation just off the River where Grant and his army crossed into Mississippi. There were many battles between here and where they finally arrived at Vicksburg for the siege. No, the home survived was not damaged then (well, maybe any loose chickens gave it up for the cause) but burned in 1890 and the only thing left are the columns.
2020 05 29 Port Gibson run 03 Ray & Judy (2).jpg
We continued down toward Alcorn and then back to the Natchez Trace. Then at Ridgeland and US 51 I cut off and we each traveled home. It was a good 195 miles for me and the trusty bike. A good day. I even made it up to Martena by painting all the crown molding after getting home.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
I took a very nice 180 mile ride this afternoon along the Northern Neck of Virginia. I planned on scouting out a new boat ramp to launch closer to the bay but stay in the Potomac River. I checked out Coles Point and will fish there in the morning. No pictures because the two places I stopped were all sand and I was worried the bike was going to tip over. 73 degrees and sunny, great day for a ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Thunderstorms were predicted for the afternoon so this morning I hopped on the bike and headed for a longish local ride. Breezy, but quite warm. 20 minutes out I got nailed in the neck by a bee or wasp - that's the 3rd time. Little buggers must come in stinger first. A few minutes later I got hit in the face, and shortly after that saw (blurrily) what I figured was a bee crawling on my glasses, heading up to my forehead. Couldn't tell if he was inside or outside! Pulled off real quick and took my glasses off and there was the front half of a bee crawling around on them. Anyone remember Eric the half-a-bee? LOL

After heading west for a while I turned south towards one of the coal power plants, and took a coffee break on the side of the road:

Even remembered to bring a stool along this time. All in all, 275km (170mi) by the time I got home. Not a long trip, but the longest ride I've had so far this year. Definitely good to get out.

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
Don't get me started about bee stings. 😬

Reactions: Luv2fish and NREMTP

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Yesterday afternoon rode to Norton Shores, MI, which is about 60 miles from home for a couple of chili dogs at one of my favorite places (G&L Greek Chili Dogs). Than rode back into Grand Rapids to meet up with the Christian Motorcycle Association (CMA) for their Tuesday night ice cream ride. Put on just over 250 miles for the day.

·
Registered
486 Posts
We decided to ride to Cumberland Cavern for cool cave tour, cool in temperature and cool to see.
left Nashville after calling to make sure place was open. They have various tours from 90 min stroll to tours you actually crawl in tight places and come out muddy. We selected easy 90 min tour. We packed some lunch, snacks and plenty of fluids as it was 90 degrees today.

Jumped on I 440 over to I 24 E for hour run to Manchester, TN. Took Hwy 55 E which is mostly 4 lane over to McMinnville, TN. This area is big plant nursery business area because slightly higher elevation with cooler temperatures which apparently good for growing all kinds plants. Took Hwy 8 out of McMinnville as good signage directing you to Caverns.

we got there about lunch time and not very crowed at all. We ate lunch at some shaded picnic tables and there appeared to be camping area close by. After lunch we meet tour guide for short 1/3 mile hike on paved path to cave entrance. The cools air was welcome, I wore shorts under riding pants and felt great like nature’s a/c.

It was after 3:30 when we got back on Wing and took fast track back up I 24 W to get home. About 180 mi R/T.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Few more pictures of inside the cave....it is privately owned cave and they have music venue and over night camping available inside the cave. The former owner apparently got this chandler from NYC and installed it in cave....

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
We took a ride up to Fossil's old stomping grounds it was green and cool and beautiful as always. People say they wear the center of their tires out on a wing we are trying to wear the sides out first. All I can say is what a ride. We don't do cross country trips anymore. But we found day trips sticking to back roads are just as if not more enjoyable. I have to get thank Fossil for an old thread called favorite rides in northeast . We are trying to ride each one. Thanks buddy your rides really are great.😁👍

·
Super Moderator
28,146 Posts
We took a ride up to Fossil's old stomping grounds it was green and cool and beautiful as always. People say they wear the center of their tires out on a wing we are trying to wear the sides out first. All I can say is what a ride. We don't do cross country trips anymore. But we found day trips sticking to back roads are just as if not more enjoyable. I have to get thank Fossil for an old thread called favorite rides in northeast . We are trying to ride each one. Thanks buddy your rides really are great.😁👍

Wow, you did dig up an old thread. Glad they are working out for you. If you end up in Frackville on any of your rides, be sure to stop in to the Dutch Kitchen (shameless plug), tell Tom and/or Jennifer that Bill said Hello. They always get a kick out of our GWOF friends stopping in for eats.

Hmmm now to start another list of Southwest Rides.:whistle:

·
Registered
262 Posts
With a name like Dutch kitchen hope they have filling and shop fly pie cause I would ride all day for good wet bottom shoo fly pie and I will eat filling with soup. Wife says I'm addicted along with ham or steak and I am a happy man.😂👍

·
Super Moderator
14,250 Posts
With a name like Dutch kitchen hope they have filling and shop fly pie cause I would ride all day for good wet bottom shoo fly pie and I will eat filling with soup. Wife says I'm addicted along with ham or steak and I am a happy man.😂👍
Here you go.
Been there a couple times myself. Very good eats, but can't say if they have what you are looking for.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Super Moderator
28,146 Posts
Yes, oh and Yes.......

Both, Shoo Fly, and Filling.....amongst other dishes.

Good Eats for sure

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
Glad to see the Wing out and about. How's the foot holding up?

·
Super Moderator
15,141 Posts
Glad to see the Wing out and about. How's the foot holding up?
not very good and it has been spazing a lot lately, I kept my ride under 10 miles, the wing weighs too much and i'm uncomfortable riding it because of my foot

·
Super Moderator
11,507 Posts
Sorry to hear that. :(

821 - 840 of 866 Posts