Honda Goldwing Forum banner

821 - 828 of 828 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,126 Posts
RayJ called asking if I wanted to ride with he and Judy to Port Gibson. Since I hadn't been down that way in a while (and the warden granted me a reprieve from painting for the day) I was happy to go along. They live an hour northeast of me, so we met up at the Ross Barnett Reservoir overlook on the Natchez Trace.
2020 05 29 Port Gibson run 01 (2).jpg
We had a nice run down the Trace to Raymond where we got on the Old Port Gibson Road. Ray suggested it as Judy had never traveled it before and I always try to take visitors along it. It's an old road that follows the ridges and was the route Grant and his army took to end up at Vicksburg in 1863. (A history interest enters into many of my rides.) My normal route is to turn north at Fisher Ferry Road and head to Vicksburg for lunch. But we kept going west to US 61 and then south to Port Gibson. Lunch was at the local Sonic.
2020 05 29 Port Gibson run 02 (2).jpg
As you can see Judy has a very nice looking bike, even if it is a Harley. After lunch we headed down the Rodney Road to the old Windsor Plantation ruins. This is the plantation just off the River where Grant and his army crossed into Mississippi. There were many battles between here and where they finally arrived at Vicksburg for the siege. No, the home survived was not damaged then (well, maybe any loose chickens gave it up for the cause) but burned in 1890 and the only thing left are the columns.
2020 05 29 Port Gibson run 03 Ray & Judy (2).jpg
We continued down toward Alcorn and then back to the Natchez Trace. Then at Ridgeland and US 51 I cut off and we each traveled home. It was a good 195 miles for me and the trusty bike. A good day. I even made it up to Martena by painting all the crown molding after getting home.

·
Premium Member
3,493 Posts
I took a very nice 180 mile ride this afternoon along the Northern Neck of Virginia. I planned on scouting out a new boat ramp to launch closer to the bay but stay in the Potomac River. I checked out Coles Point and will fish there in the morning. No pictures because the two places I stopped were all sand and I was worried the bike was going to tip over. 73 degrees and sunny, great day for a ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Thunderstorms were predicted for the afternoon so this morning I hopped on the bike and headed for a longish local ride. Breezy, but quite warm. 20 minutes out I got nailed in the neck by a bee or wasp - that's the 3rd time. Little buggers must come in stinger first. A few minutes later I got hit in the face, and shortly after that saw (blurrily) what I figured was a bee crawling on my glasses, heading up to my forehead. Couldn't tell if he was inside or outside! Pulled off real quick and took my glasses off and there was the front half of a bee crawling around on them. Anyone remember Eric the half-a-bee? LOL

After heading west for a while I turned south towards one of the coal power plants, and took a coffee break on the side of the road:

Even remembered to bring a stool along this time. All in all, 275km (170mi) by the time I got home. Not a long trip, but the longest ride I've had so far this year. Definitely good to get out.

·
Super Moderator
11,335 Posts
Don't get me started about bee stings. 😬

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Yesterday afternoon rode to Norton Shores, MI, which is about 60 miles from home for a couple of chili dogs at one of my favorite places (G&L Greek Chili Dogs). Than rode back into Grand Rapids to meet up with the Christian Motorcycle Association (CMA) for their Tuesday night ice cream ride. Put on just over 250 miles for the day.

821 - 828 of 828 Posts