Honda Goldwing Forum banner

761 - 780 of 828 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ok this time my wife suggested “we should go for a ride”. I said “where to?”. She said “I don’t care but we need to get off and walk some.” By that time I was headed to the garage to check tire pressure and oil.

We took Saturday morning headed East on I-40 out of Nashville. There had been a strong tornado that followed along the interstate back in early March. It stayed on the ground for over 50 miles after touching down in northwestern part of Nashville, ripping just north of downtown, then rolling East tracking close to the interstate thru Mt. Juliet and hit Cookeville,TN area hard. The death toll I think was 22 people. Point being we could still see the detestation and plethora of blue tarps on damaged roofs.

We were headed to Rock Island State Park as we heard of hiking trails that ran along the CAndy Fork River. The weather was nice and less crowded with the social distancing going on. Took Hwy 70S to Smithville, TN then turned south on Hwy 56 before turning off to Rock Island State Park. State employees were off because of the virus but the park was open. We stopped and had snack we had packed and talked with a couple from Murfreesboro, TN that were riding a brand new Indian Chief with about 500 miles. Still show room new. They told us about some nice trails to hike.

We started looking for them but the River was high due to all the rains and the trails closer to the falls were closed. We decided to find some lunch instead. We found a restaurant that was take out orders only ( due to virus). They had a bench under covered porch so we just had a “picnic” instead.

we decided to go 30 minutes away to Burgess Falls State Park. We headed East on 70 S to Sparta, TN. We thought we were lost on some county roads but finally saw a sign to the park and had trouble finding a parking space there were so many people there.

Hikes to the falls, the river was again really high and impressive amount of water flowing. We got back on the Wing found the nearest exit to Interstate and headed west back to Nashville. A nice 210 mile day.

93B54344-5982-489F-8CC4-ECE80D322784.jpeg
E8F3AFC5-0E98-40D1-993D-0AD2F0DC551A.jpeg
22C671CC-0C83-4051-92EE-B116D35D3F54.jpeg
157D7885-56D1-4CD5-AA07-94B8730DF81D.jpeg
8ACF2999-0ED7-4E81-85D0-102C1B6638B8.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
11,335 Posts
Beautiful pictures, thanks for taking us along.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Took a ride in the mountains today, wife and I are suffering from cabin fever, it has been cloudy with rain here for the last week, today we just could not take it anymore so we got the bike out and just rode was overcast and 47 but we had a great time didn't want it to end. Tomorrow is supposed to be cloudy but in the sixties so the wing will get to eat again.?

·
Super Moderator
14,126 Posts
Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Another mountain ride today just taking our time on twisty back roads letting the big girl dance, not many miles but plenty of smiles. The bikes were out in force today and tomorrow promises to be even better. Hope to start early after the mandatory dogs walk if we leave without their daily meet and greet then they won't talk to us for the rest of the day. Okay maybe that would not be so bad??

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Well here in Michigan with our shut down, we are not suppose to be out riding just for fun. So I do what I can riding for "essential" things. Yesterday my 86 year old mother in law needed a few things from the store, she lives 17 miles from me. So rode the 'wing to the store, picked up needed items and delivered to her house. Then I took the long way home, wound up with about an 80 mile ride for "essential" needs. I didn't mean to have any fun but somethings just can't be helped.?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I could not help it, I dreamt had become a piece of furniture I had sat around so much. I needed to go for a ride. I decided to head to Historic Rugby, Tennessee then since I was so close I decided to ride the “ Devil’s Triangle near Petros, TN. Temps were getting up into mid -60’s and sunny. I packed some snacks, lunch and cold drinks and was out the door at 7:15 am.

i plotted course on Goldwing Navigation to Rugby, TN. I did about 82 mi on I-40 E and got off at Monterey exit. I stopped for gas and snack. i took the heated jacket liner off as it had warmed up and changed to my fav lightweight gloves. Rode thru beautiful area of TN up on the Cumberland Plateau where the dogwood were week are so behind the lower elevation I came from. Not a lot of traffic especially on I-40.

i had heard of Rugby all my adult life but first time visiting (historicrugby.org). it was closed due to the Covid Pandemic and I prey much had the place to myself. It was developed in 1880’s by group from England who wanted to start a utopia type community.

i took off towards Petros, TN which is start of Devils Triangle. Wanted interject that if you use the Goldwing Navigation it will put your life in peril. It was telling me to turn on roads the were not there and once to turn on this unpaved steep hill that would have been difficult for 4 wheel drive vehicle. I had google maps running on my phone so it was telling me the correct path.

Got to Petros and wanted to stop and have lunch at Brushy Mountain Prison. It is formidable structure in very difficult terrain that was once maximum security prison for Tennessee. It is a tourist attraction now but just driving up to it made me depressed. Just foreboding place. It was closed due to virus as well. I parked the Wing at the security gate and sat against the fence to have lunch.

Took off on Triangle. There is a lot of steep elevation changes with switch backs almost immediately past the prison. I had the entire ride to myself without seeing another motorcycle and maybe 5-8 cars/trucks.
i was glad because I would not want to be on that rode with bunch riders testing their skills. i thought to myself you best be real careful because no will see you go flying into woods are off side of hill. I really thought this ride was extremely technical plus it had rained the night before and debris was in turns. Mud, gravel and these hackberry seeds about the size of large marble were everywhere. There were places the white line was there and big drop offs you did not see till you were up on it. I had read that they recommended going clockwise around it but there were switchbacks going up and coming down. So I am not sure why the difference.

got back around to Oliver Springs and then headed back to I-40 W for 100 mi cruise home. Felt good to get out, I made sure to social distance, did not touch anything without gloves to paper towel.

1. Map of route ( the satellite did not track about hour of route because of up in hollow)
2. Gassing up in Monterey, TN
3. Wing in Rugby, TN
4. Welcome to Historic Rugby
5. Small Lake with picnic area and Bed n Breakfast

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
1. Historic Building
2. spring time in Tennessee
3. another Historic Site
4. Resturant and Lodging
5. first time seen crosswalk with elderly folks on sign

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
1. Historic Rugby, TN
2. Main (only) Entrance to Brushy Mtn. Prison
3. There is tour (I think) and resturant inside the prison
4. I took this photo thru chain link/razor wire fence
5. The Big Girl has taken to some different places.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,126 Posts
Thanks for taking us along Mike. A few of us rode that Devils Triangle back in 2013.

·
Super Moderator
14,126 Posts
Mark I remember that ride posting several years ago. Ever since then I have had it on my bucket list.
That Devils Triangle is a fun road isn't it? Especially the section going north and east past the prison. I loved that stretch and need to work on a return visit.

·
Registered
468 Posts
That Devils Triangle is a fun road isn't it? Especially the section going north and east past the prison. I loved that stretch and need to work on a return visit.
[/

Mark, yes The Devil’s Triangle will get your heart pumping. The section just past the prison in photo above made me think “...if this 44 mile loop is all like this it’s gonna take longer to get around...”. When you get to Fork Mountain area you start breathing normally?

·
Super Moderator
28,042 Posts
Took a ride through the Coconino and Prescott Forests. Nice way to spend several hours on the trike.

By the way boys, let's keep politics off the GWOF. This isn't the place for it.

·
Super Moderator
14,126 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi Brian. Looks great. Your first post and you share a picture, thanks for letting us live vicariously through you!

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Finally a nice day here. Got up to 70*F today, had to go for a ride. Went up to Hardy dam just for a look see. Was a very nice ride, first real ride this season. Logged just under 130 miles.
Hardy dam ride map.jpg Hardy_Dam_Muskegon_River.jpg Hardy dam and splill way.jpg

761 - 780 of 828 Posts