Honda Goldwing Forum banner

721 - 739 of 739 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Today Judy, Billy, and I rode Hwy 91 from elibethton to shady valley. Store was closed for fall break. Rode 133 to Damascus and then 91 to mountain city for lunch. Then got one 5he Snake to Hwy 44 back to johnson city. I don’t hav any pics. Ian Eastwood to get them rounded up. Will post some later. This is Judy’s favorite ride in all the world. Will do it again most likely before we go home next week.
Ian Eastwood??? Give me a break. I will get the pics rounded up. Dang AI will take over the world.

·
Super Moderator
27,566 Posts
Ian Eastwood??? Give me a break. I will get the pics rounded up. Dang AI will take over the world.

Glad you had a good ride Ian Eastwood......Great folks you were with.

Just wanted to help where I can.....>:)

·
Registered
506 Posts
Glad you had a good ride Ian Eastwood......Great folks you were with.

Just wanted to help where I can.....>:)
I need all the help I can get. Thanks. Yea, they are good folks. Glad I can call them my friends.

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #724 (Edited)
Rode to Wilson, NC, today, to see ‘Whirligig Park’, a local folk artist’s creation of windmills, galore and interesting to see. Worth a ride to visit, about 80 miles, round trip, for me & the wife. Fun day and gorgeous riding weather!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,826 Posts
I know many of y'all are experiencing snow right now. So to help you out a bit I took a nice loop ride. It started a little refreshingly brisk this morning on ride to work at 34 degrees. But by the time I had to head toward my Ethics Training (as Lee says, it keeps encouraging me to be better than my normal nature) in the afternoon it was pretty nice sunny and 65 degrees. I first had to drop off some radios at our Training Center in Pearl which let me ride a bit of Hwy 467 into Florence. West from Florence I made a quick stop at the Swinging Bridge over the Pearl River at Byram. This old bridge was open and still in use when I moved to Mississippi in 1982. You could stop in the middle and the bridge would rock up and down on the cables. From there I used back roads to Raymond. Arriving a good bit early for the class I took some time to visit the nearby Raymond Battlefield. This May, 1862 battle was one in a series that Grant's Union forces fought after they crossed the Mississippi River and on their way to Vicksburg. The class was a lot more interesting than normal as the instructor shook things up and had an interesting presentation. Afterwards, as the sun was getting low I headed north to Bolton and Brownsville. The old Brownsville Road didn't look familiar to me at all, until I got to a place where both sides of the road were lined with live oaks. As these aren't native to the area, I know someone back before WW II planted them to shade the road. I had passed this way before, but it was a few years ago. This took me up to Hwy 22 and a turn east to Canton and then south to Meltonville and home. It was a nice 120 mile loop around Jackson.

Pictures:
1. View from the top of the parking garage where I work, that building in the trees is the Governor's House and behind it is the State Capitol.
2. That skinny bridge over the Pearl River is the Byram Swinging Bridge.
3. Raymond Battlefield Artillery Ridge - no Bill, I didn't almost dump the bike here today.
4. Raymond Battlefield - the high mark of the Confederacy on this site. This is where they held off the Yankees most of the day before being pushed back and they retreated to Jackson.
5. Brownsville Road

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,826 Posts
Rubbing it in is totally unethical. You failed the class ?

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk
No sir! I left with a certificate so I can't possibly be unethical.....>:)

·
Super Moderator
13,826 Posts
Is this a CAT ride (Certified and Trained)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Or maybe CET; Certified Ethical Training. It may not be up to a Lee CAT ride standards as I didn't stop enough. But I would judge it to be a good CAT ride; Candy Arse Tour.

·
Premium Member
23,464 Posts
Or maybe CET; Certified Ethical Training. It may not be up to a Lee CAT ride standards as I didn't stop enough. But I would judge it to be a good CAT ride; Candy Arse Tour.
It's not that I stopped a lot, it's that my ride routes have so many destination points.

·
Super Moderator
13,826 Posts
Just for all you weather bound people, I took a nice ride today. They were having a demonstration of naval life aboard the USS Cairo at Vicksburg National Military Park today. It was pretty nice, mid 50's and the sun peaking out between the clouds from time to time. I usually take the Natchez Trace to head part of the way there, but a section just above Jackson is closed due to the road washing out. So I jumped on the go-fast roads to get there. They had a few people in period dress and they described life aboard a naval vessel during the war. The Cairo was sunk in the Yazoo River just northeast of Vicksburg by a mine in 1862. The Park historian located it in the 1950's and it was preserved and moved to this museum in the Park in the late 1970's. Lunch time was spent at the Cottonwood Public House which houses Key City Brewery. I had a couple pints of their IPA's and a pizza. Afterwards I took the scenic way home. Heading north from downtown up US 61 to Hwy 3 up to Satartia. Then east on Hwy 433 (nice sweepers) to Bentonia, south on US 49 to Flora, and Hwy 22 to Canton and home. It was a nice 150 mile day on the bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
512 Posts
Dang, now we have to do a Bike by the ship???????

·
Super Moderator
27,566 Posts
:WellDone:

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,826 Posts
It was a nice brisk day, so I took a short CAT ride. Sometimes I help people locate ancestors through Find-A-Grave. They list what cemetery and you go look and see if you can find and take a photo of a headstone. It leads you down roads you probably wouldn't ride. Today I picked three cemeteries about 20 miles east of the house. The first one had a funeral going on so I kept riding. The second was a the Old Truelight Missionary Baptist Church and I found the three that were requested and took pictures of five more related to those three. Oldest was William Griffin born in 1871 and died in 1946. Second was Hayes Cemetery, an overgrown one, judging from the overgrowth, had not been cleaned up for about 5 years. I think this one was a family cemetery on their property. I found H.W. (1812 - 1873) and Evaline Hayes (1816 - 1876) among the small trees. Johnie Cheek was the only request and his time on earth was from 1860 to 1884. That one was hard to locate and will be really hard in a few more years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,464 Posts
It was a nice brisk day, so I took a short CAT ride. Sometimes I help people locate ancestors through Find-A-Grave. They list what cemetery and you go look and see if you can find and take a photo of a headstone. It leads you down roads you probably wouldn't ride. Today I picked three cemeteries about 20 miles east of the house. The first one had a funeral going on so I kept riding. The second was a the Old Truelight Missionary Baptist Church and I found the three that were requested and took pictures of five more related to those three. Oldest was William Griffin born in 1871 and died in 1946. Second was Hayes Cemetery, an overgrown one, judging from the overgrowth, had not been cleaned up for about 5 years. I think this one was a family cemetery on their property. I found H.W. (1812 - 1873) and Evaline Hayes (1816 - 1876) among the small trees. Johnie Cheek was the only request and his time on earth was from 1860 to 1884. That one was hard to locate and will be really hard in a few more years.
Yes sir. I ( like ???? ) walking through graveyards . Even time and weather erases inscriptions . My local favorite in an inscription on an 1890ish tombstone inscription,
" Do not stand by this grave and cry
I am not here, I
Did not die ".
The best I've ever read.

721 - 739 of 739 Posts