Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years ago my wife and I rented a 'wing in Portland, OR and spent a wonderful week touring the area. We are looking to do it again somewhere else in the country. We have traveled the eastern US (FL to ME) pretty extensively so are ruling that out. Anyone have suggestions on other locations where 'wings are available to rent?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have looked at Eagle Riders in the past and have been discouraged because of reviews indicating no guarantee of the bike you end up with. I would hate to commit to a week of long distance two-up riding only to end up on a bike that doesn't provide comparable comfort or space.

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
I have looked at Eagle Riders in the past and have been discouraged because of reviews indicating no guarantee of the bike you end up with. I would hate to commit to a week of long distance two-up riding only to end up on a bike that doesn't provide comparable comfort or space.
I would still call them and see before you say no. There are not many other places to choose from.

Mark

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Several years ago I "rented" a motorhome from CruiseAmerica. Since it doesn't really belong on this forum, PM me and I'll explain why I put rented in quotes and how to get one really cheap. I bring them up here because at the time, they also rented Harleys and 'Wings. They have franchises all over the country.

If you find one in the northwest, ask about renting there and dropping off in southern California. The coast ride is spectacular!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had success with Eagle Rider

I've rented twice - once in Vegas and once in the DC area. Both times got the exact bike I was expecting.

I have the feeling each is an individual franchise. You might call the exact location and rent over the phone rather than via the web site.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
P, if you're considering a one-way trip such as Portland to LA, look for a rental shop that has franchises or partners in the drop-off city. Before committing, ask about returning a bike that was previously used for a one-way trip.

I rented a midsize sedan from Avis in Portland for a trip to Long Beach. They offered to upgrade me to a Buick Rendevous that neede to be returned to the Long Beach franchise. I said I would but it would double my gas costs. They said keep all gas receipts and Long Beach would reimburse me in full, paying for all gas used in the trip.

Free upgrade (higher seat level so Pam could see over the guardrail on the ocean side) and free gas. Guess what I did.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
This is strange. I was going to suggest Coyote Honda in Phoenix, AZ. Their web site has no " Rentals " department listed. I was going to rent last year but they were all booked out . Either way, a phone call will answer the question : http://www.coyotehonda.com/

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I ran into the same thing a few years ago in the Keys. Eaglerider advertised Wings, but all they had was Roadkings at teh Key Largo location. Would have had to head farther up past Miami to rent a wing at one of their other locations.:(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you find one in the northwest, ask about renting there and dropping off in southern California. The coast ride is spectacular!!!
My wife and I did Portland to Northern California via Crater Lake then up the Oregon coast on a 'wing. It was spectacular. Our final day was spent riding through the Columbia River gorge. My wife still gets the tremors when she thinks about our trip over the river on the Bridge of the Gods. Anyone who has ridden it knows what I'm talking about. 1854' of steel grate surface 140' above the water with a cross wind so strong that you have to lean into it. It's a toll bridge too so you get to pay for the thrill.

The California coast and Napa valley are on our travel list but that won't be on a bike, at least not Napa valley. We want to do some wine tasting!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would still call them and see before you say no. There are not many other places to choose from.

I spent some time on their website last night and was intrigued by the fact that most of the locations where they have Goldwings are locations that my wife have spent time in. We rarely go back to the same area. There are too many unseen place to see. An Electra Glide would work for us so I will probably pick a destination then call the rental dealer directly and see if I can get a sense of assurance about bike availability.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts