Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Always a clouded area. Motorcycle Superstore on the web has good prices, so does Wingstuff. Then you need to have it mounted so the dealer basically either won't do it for you or they will charge you more to do it. A lot has to do with where you are located which you didn't indicate.

I'm fortunate to have a great dealer who charges decent pricing & they just get it done. $285 seems a bit high but is that for the mounting and all? If so it may be worth it in the end.

Now the C/T guys will start to chime in I'm sure to help in that way & they will fill you in on that process.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion & Welcome to the GWOF.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
it cost me about $285 to have my tires mounted, balanced, and new valve stems installed last year

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
First thing is what are you riding, second where are you, and tthird welcome. Most dealers will do an install for you for a nominal to moderate fee if you call ahead, depending on whether you need to have the wheels removed or if you remove them yourself and take them in. I got my front 709 from Wingstuff, and then due to timing ordered my rear 704 here at the shop. Wingstuff is well below my dealer price even with cross border shipping, but takes quite a bit longer. Rear tire ended up being a bit of a hasty decision (long story) so I bit the bullet and went through my Honda channels. If you're in the States, you have a definite price advantage, and shipping is way lower too, Wingstuff often has free shipping to the lower 48.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The best prices I've found on tires is Dennis Kirk or Jake Wilson--but shop against Wingstuff. Learn to lay your bike down and take the rear wheel off yourself and take it in for the new mount.

Still gonna be $240 or so--the cost of owning a bike.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have seen several posts about the dark side. My concern with that is the handling characteristics of a car tire on a bike. Since a car is designed to only use the flat of the tire, and a bike is supposed to lean, thereby using the sidewall, the tires are not designed for handling on a bike. Has anyone had any issues with that?

I own a 96 Honda Shadow VT1100 and spend time on the Shadow forum. There everyone talks about how a certain tire handles better (for them) than another. Obviously those bikes are made for handling curves differently than the Goldwing, but I would think that handling would still be an issue. Am I wrong?

BTW... I just got my 83 GL1100A Aspencade yesterday, and have things to do to it before it hits the road for any length of time. One thing I am looking at is replacing the rear tire.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
I have seen several posts about the dark side. My concern with that is the handling characteristics of a car tire on a bike. Since a car is designed to only use the flat of the tire, and a bike is supposed to lean, thereby using the sidewall, the tires are not designed for handling on a bike. Has anyone had any issues with that?

I own a 96 Honda Shadow VT1100 and spend time on the Shadow forum. There everyone talks about how a certain tire handles better (for them) than another. Obviously those bikes are made for handling curves differently than the Goldwing, but I would think that handling would still be an issue. Am I wrong?

BTW... I just got my 83 GL1100A Aspencade yesterday, and have things to do to it before it hits the road for any length of time. One thing I am looking at is replacing the rear tire.
It just works for us under any road condition and riding style for the type of bike we have.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am simply trying to get opinions so I can make a somewhat intelligent decision when it comes time to buy a tire. I have to do everything according to budget and safety factors, so I don't like to make mistakes.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
441 Posts

I don't think anyone is going to convince the DS Boys from using CT on their Wings. I've never been even curious about using one nor will I ever consider it. As long as I can afford standard Gold Wing tires that’s all I’m interested in.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
I am simply trying to get opinions so I can make a somewhat intelligent decision when it comes time to buy a tire. I have to do everything according to budget and safety factors, so I don't like to make mistakes.

Aaron
I don't know of any Darkside Riders on an 1100. None here. Not ever sure your rim is Darkside enabled.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Have seriously thought about it. Am told nobody wants to mount them. Obviously, somebody will. Am in Sacramento.
My local Honda Powersport dealer will mount mine. They have seen enough of them go through there that they decided to switch rather than fight it.

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
I don't think anyone is going to convince the DS Boys from using CT on their Wings. I've never been even curious about using one nor will I ever consider it. As long as I can afford standard Gold Wing tires that’s all I’m interested in.
You are right a car tire is not for everyone but the safety and the way the tire will stick to a wet road and will run with no air in it (yes that is zero pressure) It is for me and Lee and others, with just 17K on it this past year and the 8K trip I did this past July I will not need to go back to a bike tire. If you do every think of trying you could always maybe try a ride on a bick with 1 that way you wont crash and burn your own bike.:eek:

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
My local Honda Powersport dealer will mount mine. They have seen enough of them go through there that they decided to switch rather than fight it.
It does take some time and others just don't care.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
You are right a car tire is not for everyone but the safety and the way the tire will stick to a wet road and will run with no air in it (yes that is zero pressure) It is for me and Lee and others, with just 17K on it this past year and the 8K trip I did this past July I will not need to go back to a bike tire. If you do every think of trying you could always maybe try a ride on a bick with 1 that way you wont crash and burn your own bike.:eek:
May I quote you on that. Too late, I just did. For safety's sake people, get a car tire.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.