Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of us will look down at guys or gals that traler their bikes. We of course know if a bike is broke down it needs to be trailered and if it is being shipped. I think I have also come up with another reason to trailer a bike.
I am thinking of getting my wing rigged with a hitch for a bike tralier. I am thinking of towing my second bike to Taos next year while riding my Wing there.
So my questioin has anyone ever seen a bike towing a bike traler with a bike on it? I think it is feasible and if the bike is not huge or weighty..it should be fine.
Opinions please...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yeah I thought I would be funny but it is true. To the real question though, I have no experience in this and have nothing to back it up but I would think the bike and trailer should be under around 800 lbs or so.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

G

·
Many of us will look down at guys or gals that traler their bikes. We of course know if a bike is broke down it needs to be trailered and if it is being shipped. I think I have also come up with another reason to trailer a bike.
I am thinking of getting my wing rigged with a hitch for a bike tralier. I am thinking of towing my second bike to Taos next year while riding my Wing there.
So my questioin has anyone ever seen a bike towing a bike traler with a bike on it? I think it is feasible and if the bike is not huge or weighty..it should be fine.
Opinions please...
Cannot help you with your question but I have one myself,Why look down on anyone trailering his bike. I do it for my convienence and that should be ok with everyone.But again, I dont really care.

·
Super Moderator
7,612 Posts
If you're coming from the 'Frozen' north to 'Sunny' Florida for the winter.
Who wants to slip and slide with a 900lb motorcycle? :eek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I didn't know it wasn't OK to trailer a bike with a bike. I don't see a problem unless the trailer and bike weight combined is no more than 1/2 the weight of the towing bike, remember it is the stopping ability you need to worry about, not the ability of your bike to pull the weight, especially braking in turns when the load is pushing the towing bike. VERY IMPORTANT!

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am on another bike site as well and perhaps not here but there it is a very negative topic about trailering. I did not mean to cast a negative cloud on those who tralier. Back on topic though, I remember seeing a recent U tube showing a wing towing a small car. If a wing can tow a car then surely a small tralier and mid range bike should not be a be a problem..

Personally I have never trailered a bike, but I have not had a need to.
Has anyone ever seen a bike towing a tralier with a bike on it ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I didn't know it wasn't OK to trailer a bike with a bike. I don't see a problem unless the trailer and bike weight combined is no more than 1/2 the weight of the towing bike, remember it is the stopping ability you need to worry about, not the ability of your bike to pull the weight, especially braking in turns when the load is pushing the towing bike. VERY IMPORTANT!
I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
I am on another bike site as well and perhaps not here but there it is a very negative topic about trailering. I did not mean to cast a negative cloud on those who tralier. Back on topic though, I remember seeing a recent U tube showing a wing towing a small car. If a wing can tow a car then surely a small tralier and mid range bike should not be a be a problem..

Personally I have never trailered a bike, but I have not had a need to.
Has anyone ever seen a bike towing a tralier with a bike on it ?
Larry had posted a pic previously where he trailered a motocross motorcycle on a Harbor Freight flat bed trailer with wheel chock. Pulled like a champ. Like Santini said, it isn't the pulling power that might be an issue, but your stopping power. With that said, I use downshifting allot for braking which could aid you also in braking with a heavy load.

I recently assembled my HF Tagalong trailer and spent a day pulling it around town. It was so easy to pull and I felt no resistance or drag and forgot it was there. As for braking, there was no negative affect and quite frankly, it did not affect my braking. Of course I was pulling an empty 150 pound trailer. My point though is that the Goldwing makes an excellent pulling machine. Look at some of those bunkhouse trailers that some pull as trailer and gear must exceed 500 pounds.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Super wing???

I've seen that you-tube video of the "specially equipped" Goldwings as tow vehicles.
Have a closer look, I think there were 5 of them built, they are modified heavily & have special equipment to handle the extra weight of a SMALL car.
As mentioned, I see no problem getting rolling...stopping safely is a whole other problem!:eek:
I feel having brakes on the trailer is necessary... but it would not be practical in M.H.O. on a small trailer like what you want to use.

The wing will have enough power...just not a good idea to me...but! I was wrong before, I remember back in '48..or was '49..I thought I was wrong once..but I was mistaken...;) Ahhh..never mind..:D Good luck with your plan, let us know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Tatanka has a hitch, and I hope to pull my boat with him for photo ops, but not on the road. The boat/motor/trailer weigh about 1,900 lbs. Not too smart, for me or anyone else on the road!:eek::(:D

+1 on electro-magnetic brakes.

·
Administrator
29,026 Posts
Lee, my opinion is do what you think is right. Maybe hook it up & run around a bit local to get a feel. As far as what others do, anybody can find a picture on the internet to show you it being done. I always get a kick out of people that post other peoples pictures & try to pull it off that they took them.:rolleyes:

Case in point below

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
other than pic's i've never seen anyone tow a bike on a trailer with a bike

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fossil I knew you woudl come through and what you said is exactly what I was thinking. I want to get a trailer for the truck in case I have a break down, I wiant to be able to use it for the bike as well. I was thinking the same thing try it around town to see how it handles. In Taos the twisties it would be nicie to bring a smaller bike to enjoy them a little more....and I get to ride my Wing there as well ...a win win situation...if it works okay.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
They use Goldwings as tow "trucks" for cars in Europe and other locations but that's quite a different application. Like mentioned it's the weight behind pushing you that's the biggie.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
They use Goldwings as tow "trucks" for cars in Europe and other locations but that's quite a different application. Like mentioned it's the weight behind pushing you that's the biggie.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
I can only imagine a single-axle trailer moving at 55 to 65+ MPH. and a trailer tire blows. I don't think six-flags could match that ride! I tow my bike alot with my car on trips just so we have both if we want.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.