Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have a little over 15,000 miles on my '04 Wing that I bought used a couple years ago. The dealer checks the tread and tells me to keep on riding. They are in Pennsylvania, which requires vehicle inspections that have strict standards for tires as well as other parameters.

Knowing that I will need new tires before long, I bought a set of Dunlops from him at a good price just before the price went up in early 2013. I'll have him mount them later this year, no doubt, as I intend to do as much riding as I can fit in.

What milage do you typically get on your tires? Other than keeping the pressure maintained, do you do anything else to maximize your milage? :D

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
Rambo I got that similar mileage out of Dunlops on my 1500. It seems that the 1800 is tougher on tires which is one of the reasons the Car Tire craze became a growing movement. Now that I have typed this it will no doubt start our own Car Tire Cult to start posting all their findings & experiances.

Let's just hope your thread doesn't turn into another one of "those" threads.:frown:

Oh & to answer a direct question. I never do anything special to any of my tires other than checking tire pressure, but I am faithful about doing that. I'm glad you brought tire pressure up because to me that is the biggest key to gaining great mileage. Tire Management.

:BigHand:

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
15,000 miles is not bad for a motorcycle tire. I have never " worn out " a motorcycle tire. The one that came on the bike was so noisy at 10,000 miles I replaced it. A puncture prematurely killed the replacement. I switched over to a Kumho [redacted] tire. That tire , too, suffered a puncture, but I had it plugged at 8,000 miles and still riding it at 13,000 miles. It could go another 5,000 miles plus according to the wear bars but that plug is creeping into my psyche. I'll be replacing it with a Michelin [redacted] tire next month. Many riders on this brand of[redacted] tire recorded mileage over 20,000. But still, I'll probably not " wear " it out. At $140 per tire, who cares. How did I do , " fossil92 " ?

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
15,000 miles is not bad for a motorcycle tire. I have never " worn out " a motorcycle tire. The one that came on the bike was so noisy at 10,000 miles I replaced it. A puncture prematurely killed the replacement. I switched over to a Kumho [redacted] tire. That tire , too, suffered a puncture, but I had it plugged at 8,000 miles and still riding it at 13,000 miles. It could go another 5,000 miles plus according to the wear bars but that plug is creeping into my psyche. I'll be replacing it with a Michelin [redacted] tire next month. Many riders on this brand of[redacted] tire recorded mileage over 20,000. But still, I'll probably not " wear " it out. At $140 per tire, who cares. How did I do , " fossil92 " ?
I know that must have been painful but I believe I speak for everyone in saying:

Thank You & good job

Now back to our regularly scheduled topic.:webers:

·
Premium Member
11,282 Posts
I do not get anywhere near the mileage out of my (rear) tyres that you guys do. I get 6000 to 8000 miles. My next tyre will be Michellen commander 11.

·
Premium Member
6,721 Posts
On M/C tires I never get more than 9,500 miles....I guess I'm a little rougher than most.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
I've never worn out a tire on any of my bikes. Even one I owned for 29 years! Sad, I know.

·
Registered
473 Posts
11k on these E3s, had a small really short screw in the centerline of the rear tire a hundred or so ago. No air loss after removing the screw, took it easy and worked up to the freeway. So far all is good, hopefully more miles to come.

·
Banned
466 Posts
I run Dunlop E3 on the front of my 2006 GL1800 and a Kumho ZP 195/55-R16 on the rear. I get about 20K out of the rear and same on the front. When I ran Dunlop on rear I got about 15K miles and it cost 30% more. Next time I am switching to high mileage Michelin WInter Sport ZP.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I'd have to say remarkable job, for someone that is so firmly ensconced in the realm of the "redactible":LaughHard:

My D250 (stock) tires had about an even 12k on them when I replaced them. They weren't done, but with a long trip in the immediate future there was no way I was pushing them further. That rubber doughnut is all that's between us and the greatest tattoo remover on the planet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.