Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a weekend, and the local dealerships are closed. So I thought I'd ask someone here about this. My rear wheel on my 2013 GL1800 (4A) is silver in color and has a clear finish. It's pitted to kingdom come and it leaks. I'm thinking I'd like to replace the wheel and tire at the same time with something that won't pit. Are the GL1800 B series wheels powder coated black? and are they otherwise the same?

Thank you gents (and ladies)

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

I like to use this website to answer questions like that,
granted a silver wheel and a black wheel will have different part numbers, but if it lists different color choices that helps
or look at the hub where the wheel mounts, are those the same part numbers, then the wheels will fit
can be used to see if parts are the same from year to year..........

it is not all 100%, as far as numbers match, for sometimes parts were up graded from year to year, but it can give you a good idea, comparing parts around the one you are trying to replace

for instance Dodge no longer makes the OE lift pump for my truck, issues were solved with an upgraded pump, so different numbers now

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not just have your wheels powder coated the color you want. My wing wheels were bad so I had them coated, a lot cheaper.
The rear wheel is severely pitted and has a slow leak - somewhere other than the valve area. I'd have to remove it, see if it's repairable, and if it is, have it repaired, powder coated, then have the new tire mounted. Time is money. If I buy an F6 wheel (assuming it's the same basic wheel and the one on my bike, I'd order a new tire at the same time and pick the assembled, balanced - hopefully undamaged and leak free - wheel in one trip. The other process requires several excursions to dealership and powder coater. I do intend to have the old wheel repaired and possibly powder coated and sell it to recoup some of the cost of the new wheel.

By the way, I found two sources for a replacement stock wheel that sell them for a significantly savings over the dealership or Honda Power Sports directly. ($600 or $700 vs $835). What's up with that? I've sought out trike builders to see about getting parts for less than new, but there are few nearby, and their websites don't list parts. Also, I'm not a fan of the e-Bay buying experience. I'd rather give the business to a reputable dealer or parts house. I just can't figure out how the parts suppliers in Texas and Michigan are selling new wheels for so much less than dealerships and the other online OEM sources.

Granted, that last option will result in at least one additional trip to the dealership and shipping charges. So, the savings may not be all that great factoring in the end analysis.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I would be surprised that the rim is leaking. Did you check the tire itself for a nail and check around the rim, maybe leaking on the edge. My wheels were pitted bad and they had black stains on them. If your ready to spend 600 or 700 on a wheel go for it but it's a lot cheaper to powder coat.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be surprised that the rim is leaking. Did you check the tire itself for a nail and check around the rim, maybe leaking on the edge. My wheels were pitted bad and they had black stains on them. If your ready to spend 600 or 700 on a wheel go for it but it's a lot cheaper to powder coat.
It was leaking before I bought the first replacement tire 15,000 mile ago. I told the dealership about this at the time, so you would think they would have addressed the issue when mounting the new tire, yet the slow leak persists. When I asked them about it more recently, they said "tires do lose air", as if that explained everything. At any rate, I'm going to address it when this wheel comes off - either in a couple of weeks - if I pull the trigger on a replacement, or this winter when the bike's on the jack stand for the duration and I have the time to putz around with the problem myself.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Price is right, but I'm not a fan of buying used anything. Also, not keen on e-Bay. This one doesn't look a whole lot better than mine. On the other hand, it's a relatively small investment, and if it holds air...

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

same tire I run on the back of my wing.......... tire $100 for non runflat (can't find it any more)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Why not just have your wheels powder coated the color you want. My wing wheels were bad so I had them coated, a lot cheaper.
He said they leak. I don't think powdercoating will stop the leak.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
He said they leak. I don't think powdercoating will stop the leak.
Sandblasting and powdercoat will cure bead leaks. Sand bead area with scotch pad till smooth before sandblasting. The powder coater I deal with says this is done all the time to cure bead leaks on cast aluminum automotive rims. Local Honda auto dealer also recommended this to my brother for his Honda truck with this problem. It worked on the front wheel on my wing that had this problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sandblasting and powdercoat will cure bead leaks. Sand bead area with scotch pad till smooth before sandblasting. The powder coater I deal with says this is done all the time to cure bead leaks on cast aluminum automotive rims. Local Honda auto dealer also recommended this to my brother for his Honda truck with this problem. It worked on the front wheel on my wing that had this problem.
I will have the rear wheel powder coated this winter. I already sanded one side down to get rid of the worst of the pitting and I'm down to bare aluminum. In the mean time, I will buy a replacement stock rear wheel to get me through the season without the leak. (Especially since I need new tires anyway). Depending on which I like better, I'll either sell the powder coated rear or powder coat the front and sell the stock wheel to recoup some of the expense of the transition.

Thanks for the feedback Flash and TmDILL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts