Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a tour of southern Utah and northern Arizona. I don't know the best time of year to go.

I naturally want to avoid the heat of the summer. I passed through Moab in August one year and stopped for lunch and the temperature was 103. Believe me, I get enough of that here in the DFW area.

So, I don't know whether spring or fall is best for that area. I know that here in the spring we have some fairly violent thunderstorms, which I would also want to avoid if they happen out there.

So if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I always find that early September is a great time to travel

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Northern Arizona has fierce winter esp around the canyon all the way across the Navajo res and dwon to the Mogollon Rim ( this is easily 1/2 the state. Utah is also a state with winter. Look at the elevation along the route you wish to travel. If is is over 4000 - 4500 feet figure on cold. If it is 4500 - 6000 figure in darned cold and if your over 7000 feet you may as well be in Wisconsin. So Northern Az - April - May or Sept - Oct.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I went from Seattle to Arizona via Utah and then back to Seattle through Nevada in April. Although the weather was very nice in the Phoenix area, it was too cold to camp in the north part of Arizona and Utah. It was snowing at Deadman's Pass and I had to ride in snow tracks. Every night it got down to the 29+ and the highs were around 60 to 70 in the northern parts. In the Phoenix valley, it was a comfortable 80 to 90 during the day with it getting as low as 45 at night.

One night we camped in Kinsmen, Arizona and it was 25 at night and 70 during the day.

I would recommend that area in May - June or like Joe said, September would be nice if you stayed in the north.

I traveled to Yellowstone last year and got to the east entrance on June 15th and it was the first day that entrance was open. It was snowing and there was 6 to 8 ft of snow on the ground. The lake was still frozen over and all of the camp grounds were still full of snow and closed. The only camp ground open was the RV Campground, and it was full.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Have to agree with what was posted above, only I'd choose mid Sept-Oct. Flagstaff is high up and you can get anything up there at anytime of year, same with around the Grand Canyon. Down in the Sun Valley and the greater Phoenix area it stays warm to hot right through November usually. I shovel snow here and my two brothers bask in the sun on their patios (colourful expletive applicable here regarding their birth legitimacy):D

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I would recommend going to weather underground (www.wunderground.com) and checking the historical data for the areas and dates you are considering. Based on my experience traveling in the Southwest over the years, early to mid September is the best time to avoid scorching temperatures or snow, even though snow is not uncommon in the high elevations in September.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did a bike trip in this area two years ago. First, it was an amazing trip, one that I could repeat every year and not get bored. You will love it.

We went at the last week of September / first week of October and had fabulous weather.

I'm happy to share some route ideas if you are interested, but I think there are a ton of members who've ridden that ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts