Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I pour through my front forks to flush them before changing the fork oil that won't hurt the seals?

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well installed the progressive springs today. Drained the oil all looked good and refilled with ATF fluid as per the service manual. Manual said 377CC right fork and 372 CC left fork. Took it out for a quick test ride and what a difference it made.

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
Why atf and not fork oil? Atf has WAY to many cleaning agents in it and may not be the RIGHT weight (vescosity) for the front forks.
I wondwer too, I thought you had a recommendation from Progressive themselves. Was that what they recommended?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Must agree with the last two posts, there is oil made specifically for forks and it comes in various viscosities. I've not done anything on my Wing forks but replaced many fork seals on our dirt bikes and use the correct fork oil.

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok,
The manual says ATF oil in the forks, progressive says 15W oil, I live in the middle of nowhere and no fork oil available, so I used what I had, once I get some 15 weight oil probably change it, but for now that's all I had.

But I can tell a huge difference with the progressive springs.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just changed the fork oil in my 88. Honda called for ATF. I have progressive springs. ATF is not heavy enough. When I hit a bump in the road the front end will bottom out. Did not know what weight to put in with the progressive springs, so thanks HALLCT for that info!! Honda called for 10 w in the 89. I will try the 15W as that is what Progressive called for.

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok dumb question,
ATF to light in weight, Hydraulic oil same as fork oil? So what is so special about fork oil then? We get charged more it?

·
Super Moderator
12,266 Posts
It is for a motorcycle, therefore more expensive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts