Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if I should be concerned but:
I have noticed a burnt rubber smell when I come to a stop.:confused:
Is that normal?....Seems like it has always been there.

·
Super Moderator
11,813 Posts
Whats that smell????

Ummmmm, sorry. :eek::eek::eek:

I would be concerned, as there should be no smell other than exhaust when coming to a stop!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine does that too, never found a cause, never really looked too hard. I figure that I’ll find it some day when servicing something.

Not sure if I should be concerned but:
I have noticed a burnt rubber smell when I come to a stop.:confused:
Is that normal?....Seems like it has always been there.

·
Registered
835 Posts
As Cantankerous said, there shouldn't be any smell other than the exhaust....unless you drag your feet while riding.
Strat

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As Cantankerous said, there shouldn't be any smell other than the exhaust....unless you drag your feet while riding.
Strat
Thats what I was thinking...any suggestions on what to check?:confused:

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
You might check behind your pegs to see if there is any black boot or whatever your wearing marks on the exhaust covers. On my FJR, I sometimes get lazy or something and roast off the heels of my boots in that area. Haven't had that problem with the Wing but old habits are hard to break. I've observed the black marks on the Wing but haven't done any boot BBQ'ing yet. Shouldn't be any burnt smells though when stopping.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I get that smell when I'm running my heated grips and seat. When one is on, so is the other so I can't tell you which one is causing it. Its never been a problem and for some reason, it kinda comes and goes.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
If it smells like rubber it might be rubber. Plenty of rubber grommets on a Wing and some are precariously close to hot spots. Sniff around when you pull into your driveway, pull off your chrome side covers and look and sniff. Follow your nose.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it smells like rubber it might be rubber. Plenty of rubber grommets on a Wing and some are precariously close to hot spots. Sniff around when you pull into your driveway, pull off your chrome side covers and look and sniff. Follow your nose.
Craziest thing...As I am backing in the garage I get a whiff from under the steering. I get off and follow your advice and nothing. Can't even pick up the smell.:confused:

·
Registered
741 Posts
Bet it you never smell it when your heated grips and seat are off.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
2 posts side by side.

'best pants ever' and 'what smells.'

freud quote, "there is no such thing as a coincidence".

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2 posts side by side.

'best pants ever' and 'what smells.'

freud quote, "there is no such thing as a coincidence".
Boy, am I glad you caught that....I had hoped to slide that one past you east coast boys.:D

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bet it you never smell it when your heated grips and seat are off.
Don't have those comforts.....wish I did. I would at least be warm while I smell burning rubber:)

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
So far we have confidently eliminated the possibility that the mystery " smell " is issuing from the inside or underside of your new pants ? Kudos to L2R for making the initial connection between the two. So the smell is ambient in nature at this point. Pull off the lower chrome covers by the shifter and brake pedal and peek around and sniff. I'm stuck on the rubber grommet thought, I know. Do it for the Gipper.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
not convinced just yet. how hard are you braking. My point was friction of firehose vs. leatherette material may not have yet been tested by the FDA..

Quit assuming I am just joking here. I am really, really......serious here.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Just a guess

Craziest thing...As I am backing in the garage I get a whiff from under the steering. I get off and follow your advice and nothing. Can't even pick up the smell.:confused:
Could it be your coolant your smelling from around the steering ? I think you may be getting the smell when the fan comes - on !

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Coolant would smell different than a rubber smell so I doubt it's coolant; but some wings were said to have a coolant drip when very new. Mine did for about a month. I'd be inclined to agree with the grommet as well, since they are so easily dislodged and could come to rest on a header pipe.:confused:

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Last spring on a ride with a few friends, and I noticed the smell of hot rubber, at stop lights.
Turn out to be coming from a GL 1200, the rear wheel bearing was shot and the left side of the rear tire was rubbing during turns and braking. Since your are riding an 1800, I doubt that your wheel bearing has gone bad already,but it can't hurt to check the side of the tires for wear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts