Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
'93 is the best because i owne one and its the fastest color too :)

·
Premium Member
5,334 Posts
1995 SE because I have one:YellowWow:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'd say needle bearing rockers are a good idea. I think that's 92 and newer? 97 got some Valkrie goodies in the engine. I read somewhere that a gold wing tech learned in training that a 97 and newer 1500 was a million mile engine. The 92 through 96 were 500,000 mile engines. I have seen a 93 with close to 600,000 that was taken apart when the timing belts broke. It looked new inside except where pistons got to meet valves. Still had the factory hone marks and no ridge. So it was already still nice past 500K.

·
Administrator
29,080 Posts
Any 1500 will do I suppose however I would start at '95 & go up from there to 2000 if it was me. Again be mindful of your budget.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Tooth you're not all that far or a Goldwing, but then I see you have a 2012 so why would you want something older?

Almost all 1500s were the same except for '88-'90? There were some changes in the rear swingarm/rear brake set up. Some have said that '92 had a funky audio system. My '93 has served me well over the years.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Start with the year 2000 and work your way back ?
I agree! I bought the first year model of GL1500 in 1988 and also had a '94 SE that I put 211,000 miles on. I don't remember hearing very many complaints about any of the 1500's. Right now if there were 2 brand new Gold Wings side-by-side, a GL1500 and a GL1800, I would pick the GL1500. With hindsight I would have only changed a few things about the GL1500.

·
Premium Member
24,520 Posts
The 1500 is a marvelous bike, no matter what year of production. Mine was a '90 and wanted for nothing, it was the full meal deal model, and I bought it used after the original owner used it for a trip to the States and then put it up for sale. If I was to offer advice, I'd say wait for the newest one that fits your price and equipment wants, as well as mileage (although you can tell from the replies that mileage isn't really an issue if the bike is properly cared for). I lean towards the SE models myself.

·
Premium Member
2,012 Posts
My wife and I have been enjoying our 2000. At one time I was thinking of bumping up to an 1800 and decided why, I still love my bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
got a good deal on a 99se, 42k for 6900$ no regrets have enjoyed every mile since. We did replace timing belts just because and new tires plus general service.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.