Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the tallest(I am guessing) windshield on a just bo't '95 gl1500.

Lots of choices in brand but wanting to better understand what length does. Looked for a thread but didn't see one.

Obviously the one I have now will keep off the rain for 2 up. I am concerned about fog -common here in fall of year. I also get some glare from the dash board when the sun is just right.

Is there a post or ad that explains what height does what as well as the draft bubble?

I have looked at f4 and nationals ads, it talks about the product, I am specifically looking for info about how different height shields feels and acts at speed.

thanks in advance and hope I can pay forward all your help.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
From the small picture it looks like you have a Tulsa, which is not adjustable, The height of a windshield puts you and your passenger in a bubble so the wind goes over you, some people don't like to look through the shield so they use the stock size which is adjustable.The bigger the shield the more wind protection you and the passenger will get. Most large shields are not adjustable but the stock sizes and some just a little bigger than stock are. You can also some that are wider than stock, there are many choice on height and width.

·
Registered
793 Posts
It's a hotly debated subject, as some people like to look through the windshield and some like to look over it. As for fog, I doubt you'll find one that will reduce it. I did see one two piece windshield for the 1800 which was adjustable and guesss it would not fog up at speed but very pricey, about $400 and can't remember the name

·
Registered
470 Posts
The instructors at the local riding school say the windshield height should fall between your upper lip and nose when you are seated at ride height. This makes sense to me,I couldn't see through my windsheild when it rained; Sure you can duck behind it,but, vision is impaired..at least that's been my experience.

·
Registered
402 Posts
A few months ago, I returned to Vegas from an Arizona ride and hit the Hoover Dam approach just as the sun was setting. Between the splattered bugs and the sun's glare, I was glad to be able to see over the windshield since I couldn't see squat through it. Sure, I could have stopped to clean it but by then, the sun would have been behind the hill.

I position my stock window about midway through the adjustment range so I get some relief from buffeting, but can still see over it if needed.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The instructors at the local riding school say the windshield height should fall between your upper lip and nose when you are seated at ride height. This makes sense to me,I couldn't see through my windsheild when it rained; Sure you can duck behind it,but, vision is impaired..at least that's been my experience.
The wind screen on my sabre is just a little lower than what you describe and I have been pleased with it so this makes pretty good since to me and gives a point of reference.

As my current "sunroof" is used (and doubt it has much value) and I have little to lose, has anyone cut theirs down to size? If so how did you do it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a Tulsa & it is adjustable on my GL1500. It was the tallest one & I cut about 6 inches off of it & now it seem about right. Mine was so tall that I hit my head on it all the time. Cutting it off was was easy.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a Tulsa & it is adjustable on my GL1500. It was the tallest one & I cut about 6 inches off of it & now it seem about right. Mine was so tall that I hit my head on it all the time. Cutting it off was was easy.
Hi Snoopy and thanks-

Glad it was easy. What did you use a scroll saw or what?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
WS height

I like to ride with the WS about 2 inch below my eyeline in riding position and be able to raise it to a few inches above in a rain or bug field.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like to ride with the WS about 2 inch below my eyeline in riding position and be able to raise it to a few inches above in a rain or bug field.
Ok- I am in.

Where can I buy the "electric window" accessory.

Next you'll tell me the new ones have air bags but not an electric window!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just received my VSTREAM and installed it on my GL1500, it is still adjustable, I ride tonight with at the highest level and I driving seeing thru it.
I will be trying it at lowest level to see if I can see over it.
But it kills the buffeting big time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I used a hand held jig saw with a metal blade. Lots of masking tape. Then a fine file & fine sandpaper. I left the windshield on the bike with a small step stool. It cut easily. Leave the masking tape on till you are finished with the sanding. Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks Snoop,

Just one more thing on the ever-growing list of things to do but sounds like it is the right thing to do.

thanks again.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
The new ones have air bags but not an electric window!!!

You asked for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts