Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question....what weight oil should be used in the GW1800, 2010? Is it 10w30 or 10w40 the recommended oil?

Thanks....Duane

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have an '08 and I like 10w30. Bike seems to run and shift smoother.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It's in your owners manual.Honda changed it in 08 I think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
On my '10 the manual allows 10w30 or 10w40 depending on temps. That said, I live in Charlotte NC, I ride year round and use a Full Synthetic 5w40 year round. I change oil and filter at 5-6000 miles under normal conditions though the owners manual allows considerabley longer and on longer trips I have gone longer. I do notice that once I am over 6,000 miles the bike will use a little oil and the time I went 8,000 miles I added about a 1/2 qt.
The brand I use is Shell's T-6 full synthetic (really a turbo deisel product) because it has the Jaso MA certification and can be bought at Walmar in 4 qt containers for $20. Their organic Rotella for turbo deisels has that cert. also and 4qt's is about $14. Neither is "energy conserving" or "high mileage" designates so they are safe for our wet clutches. Not trying to tell you to pick a brand, just sharing what has worked well for me over the last 200,000 miles on my last three bikes.

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
On my '10 the manual allows 10w30 or 10w40 depending on temps. That said, I live in Charlotte NC, I ride year round and use a Full Synthetic 5w40 year round. I change oil and filter at 5-6000 miles under normal conditions though the owners manual allows considerabley longer and on longer trips I have gone longer. I do notice that once I am over 6,000 miles the bike will use a little oil and the time I went 8,000 miles I added about a 1/2 qt.
The brand I use is Shell's T-6 full synthetic (really a turbo deisel product) because it has the Jaso MA certification and can be bought at Walmar in 4 qt containers for $20. Their organic Rotella for turbo deisels has that cert. also and 4qt's is about $14. Neither is "energy conserving" or "high mileage" designates so they are safe for our wet clutches. Not trying to tell you to pick a brand, just sharing what has worked well for me over the last 200,000 miles on my last three bikes.
+1 here on Shell Rotella T6 ( in the blue jug of course ).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Chop, used to live in Stephen City and work in Winchester. Still have gfriends up that way and visit so maybe we'll get a chance to meet one of these times.

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
Hey Chop, used to live in Stephen City and work in Winchester. Still have gfriends up that way and visit so maybe we'll get a chance to meet one of these times.
Give me a shout. Co-worker lives in Stephen City, rides a Fat Boy ? That would give me two reasons to head that way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm using Rotella 15-40 in a white jug and Purolator oil fiter. I change it every 5K miles with no issues. Next oil change...I will try the blue jug...5-40 full syn.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I just ordered AMSOIL from Bob. Got the 10/40 and filter. Lots of claims being made about the effectiveness of this product. Looking forward to it. He is definately the guy to use for this product. Great prices!

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
Best oil I used as far as transmission shifting was the 20w-50w from Yamalube made for water cooled engines. Only trouble was, in cooler temps the starter would spin but not engage. I had to let it go, but I miss the smooth shifting.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Honda specs call for 10w30 as standard recommended motor oil. 10w40 in higher temperature running is also noted. HP4 is in the manual, but as long as you use JASO MA or equivalent (m/c formulated) it's fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.