Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How old were you when you rode/drove your first mc? What was it?

I was 13 yrs. old, cousin came back from service with an Indian Chief. Since I was big for my age, I got to ride it and drive it and fell in love with motorcycles. I can still smell the exhaust. The shift was a pull up on the left side.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
14 here (1970 ). My dad bought me (?) a Suzuki 50 street version. He had it licensed. My friends had mini-trails so I couldn't follow them through the wood paths. But....... I could ride it over to my sweeties house on the other side of the park.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
candy blue and white '69 honda z50a

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
1963 Sears and Robuck , 2 stroke made by Puch in Austria. Cost new $475. Had separate oil and gas and supposedly auto mix. Running at 70 it would get oil starved and start to slow down. Thats when you knew to put it in neutral and coast a while. Somethin else for sure....

·
Registered
163 Posts
A 1970something Yamaha R5 350. It was the year before the RD came out. I was 14 and bought it myself. Lots of yard mowing and paper routes. I soon after put on expansion chambers and had the heads milled for more compression. It was my Honda 750 slayer for a quarter mile. After that I was toast:)

·
Registered
455 Posts
1957 Harley at 12 years old. Talked a drunk uncle and his brother into letting me ride it. Never did figure out how to change the gears using the side shift and foot clutch.
Did pretty good for about 4 miles. When I return to the house which had a gravel driveway, wouldn't you know it, I dropped it right in front of them. Didn't get to ride it again, for some reason. :eek:

First bike owned was a 50cc Yamaha street and trail. Paid $48.00 for it and the helmet, rode it for two years before trading it for a 250 Yamaha. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
First ride at 12 was one ugly Honda QA- 50. I bought my first bike at 14 it was a Honda
SL 125. Man I felt like I could conquer the world!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Well you all know about the little huskavarna at 7 , (stinky) I had a puch moped hehehe!!
If my memory serves me right I had a suzuki 175 on off road, and the list goes on, went through several bikes riding Motor Cross until my first Harley at 16 .

·
Registered
691 Posts
9years old when I rode a new Triumph into the side of a farm truck. Bike ok and I had a few scratches. Dad was mad at first then got a good chuckle.

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
First Ride:
In my early teens, my Uncle Louie gave me a ride through on the trails through my Grandfather’s farm on his friend’s motorcycle in the late 60’s. I think it was a 350 Honda. My Mom had a cow.

First Drive:
In 1980, age 23, I bought a 1968 650 BSA Thunderbolt and my buddy taught me how to ride. My Mom had the same cow all over again.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Mine was a 1974 Yamaha TX500. Bought it in November 1975. I had never driven or even riden on a motorcycle when I bought it (29 years old). Dealer asked me why I was buying a bike and the only answer I could give him was I don't know I just want one...

Took it home in a truck because I had no idea how to ride it. Learned to shift it over the winter on my pourch. I put it on the center stand, started her up and went through the gears. My wife would laugh at me and said "someday it's going to come off the stand and you are going to shootoff the porch out into the yard and kill yourself". By Spring I was ready to go and have never looked back..

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

·
Registered
4 Posts
In 1959 at age 14, I started riding a 1957 Sachs Hercules JB model K 100cc.

Over the next 2 years I put 22,000 miles on it then at age 16 I sold it and bought a car.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
1963 Sears and Robuck , 2 stroke made by Puch in Austria. Cost new $475. Had separate oil and gas and supposedly auto mix. Running at 70 it would get oil starved and start to slow down. Thats when you knew to put it in neutral and coast a while. Somethin else for sure....
DreamWeaver, did it look like either one of these: 1st on is a Sears Puch 50 cc 1962 model MS50. Second one is a Puch Allstate scooter that I first rode in our backyard in 1964 or 65, was 7 or 8 at the time.

Attachments

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
My first of my very own was a '71 Suzuki TC90 Blazer. Street/trail combo, 4spd dual range transmission, great little bike (wish I stil had it now). Had the rascal going almost 70 mph drafting a Greyhound bus. Smart eh?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
DreamWeaver, did it look like either one of these: 1st on is a Sears Puch 50 cc 1962 model MS50. Second one is a Puch Allstate scooter that I first rode in our backyard in 1964 or 65, was 7 or 8 at the time.
No, mine was not the scooter. It was a regular bike. I have no idea what cc's it was but it was a highway bike. Kinda looked like the old Honda 450 only black and sparse on anything other than a headlight. You had to take the head off every so often and scrape off the carbon buildup. Had some good times riding that darn thing back and forth to Ft. Hood. I do remember that it had one cylinder but 2 pistons. Each was shaped like a half moon and ran up and down side by side. Crazy..:D

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I think this is the one I had. Lord this brings back memories...

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
My first ride was at 16. A neighbor let me try out his 69 Triumph Bonniville. I don't remember him giving me much instruction, my first shallow curve in the road gave me enough time to figure out how to change direction. Returned it to him undamaged after about ten miles in the saddle. Still riding at 64+, present ride '05 pearl blue.

·
Registered
466 Posts
First bike period was a Honda 50cc bini bike with the fat tires. I can remember the name but it was fun till I rode it into 4' deep water and she never ran again.
Next was a Suzuki RM250, man that was one bad Mofo for a kid!

First street bike was a 1984 Honda V45 Magna. I was 18 , young and dumb. That bike went thru hell and back and kept on running. I jumped a set of railroad tracks repeatedly increasing the speed each run to see how far I could jump. Well I paid no attention to the sharp curve just past where I was landing and on the last jump, I went thru the ditch and into the woods!
I fixed the minor damage and a month or so later a doberman pincher ran out in from of me doing 55. I split the dog in half, layed it over and slid 50 yards into a ditch.
Then a few months later I was horsing around with my buddy who was riding behind me. He pointed ahead of me, I turn facing ahead and what do ya know, stop light on a 4 lane road with cars stacked up 5 deep in every lane. All I remember was grabbing the brakes and a split second later I was trapped under the bike sliding until I wedged my self and the bike under one of the cars.
The car did not know what happened and did not see anything behind him and took off when the light turned green and dragging me another 10 feet or so before the bike dislodged.

I sold that bike a month later. It was missing 2nd and 5th gear and was is sad shape! I think I sold it for $400 if I am not mistaken.

I learned my lesson the hard way and lucky I was still alive to buy my next bike many years later. Thank God I grew out of the young dumb stage by 20!!

All I am guilty of now days is leaving trails of aluminum around curves:D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts