Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell us what your first long ride was and the bike you made it on.

Mine was a trip from Spokane, WA to Sheridan WY, about 700 miles, on a 1981 Honda CM400T.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
We live in Texas, so long is kind of relative.

2013 Memorial Day weekend - the first ride for us alone (no chapter members around). About 180 miles Interstate - after 7.5 hours we finally arrived. Not even pouring rain, more like cows and horses (not like cats and dogs - much bigger). Took about two weeks for our chaps to dry. Still a great weekend with some great driving through the hill country.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
The longest single day ride was my first Iron Butt ride in 2016 circling Lake Michigan. 1041 miles. Longest trip Gaylord, MI to Cody, WY. 4200 miles in 2015.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Our first was from Austin, TX to Alpine, TX. The gateway to Big Bend in 2004. Judy was on her VTX 1300 and I was on my 93 Low Rider. Made the decision to get rid of that one and get me a Geezer Glide. Kept it until I bought the Wing in 2017.

·
Super Moderator
28,019 Posts
1st long one for me was Frackville to Nashville Tn. on a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500C. 1st long one for the two of us was same Kaw from Frackville to Baltimore. After getting home later that day "not so" JaNice said if we go on any long trips again it better be on something more comfortable. A few months later the 1st long one in comfort was from Frackville to Alexandria Bay NY. on our 1st Wing.

·
Super Moderator
9,576 Posts
First long ride was NE Pa to Knoxville, TN. Went to a Rider Rally in 1993 on a Kawasaki Voyager 1200. Spent a week riding with a friend who was on a Yamaha 750...

·
Premium Member
1,040 Posts
First long was when I picked up my 2006 wing wing. Bought it from a my dealer friend in Forest Grove Or. on Friday. Saturday did a 350 mile shake down ride, found tow minor problems which my friend fixed . Left Sunday morning from Astoria, Or. ,Pacific coast, to head home in Harrisburg, Pa. . Finally stop Sunday night after doing over 800 miles. Not sure were I was but motels were getting scarce so I made the smart decision and got a room at the next motel. Could not believe that after riding over 800 miles I wasn't looking to stop. to make a long store shorter I pulled into my driveway on Wednesday. After taking care of thinks around the house left Thursday morning to visit family in Boston and that evening rode to Gloucester,Ma. , Atlantic coast . Returned to Boston then on Friday morning to return home in Harrisburg, Pa. So in six days I went coast to coast and some and put over 4000 miles on my one week old wing.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My first real long ride was our honeymoon on my 85 Goldwing Limited. We put 2700 miles on it in a week. Left Indiana on a Friday afternoon and drove south through Kentucky and Tennessee. Spent 3 days in North Carolina then drove west across Tennessee and up through Arkansas and Missouri, then the next day through Illinois and back to Indiana. It was the first she had ever been on Wing and liked it much better than her ex's Harley.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
It was in 1977 on a '72 CB750 Honda. Rode from Belding, MI to Green Bay, WI, went north up across the Mackinaw bridge and thru the U.P. of Michigan to visit relatives in Green Bay. The round trip, including some riding around in Wisconsin, we accumulated around 1,200 miles.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,107 Posts
My first attempt at a long ride was in 1981 from Hancock to Indian Lake in Michigan's UP on my 1968 BSA Thunderbolt with a pretty redhead behind me. It was supposed to be 186 miles, but the bike left us stranded at only 40 miles. We ended up leaving it at a nearby home and hitchhiked back to Hancock. We got picked up very quickly with Melissa along.

First ride with Martena was on my 2005 Yamaha V-Star in 2006 from Bay St. Louis, MS to Orange Beach, AL. A whole 146 miles, but a great trip.

Long ride would be a GWRRA group ride to Hershey, PA from Jackson, MS area. It was okay, but the highlight was meeting Bill and Charlie. Probably about 2500 miles.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
From home here in central Alberta to the Okanagan BC with my bride of 4 months on our CB 750 Custom (sorry, no pics left of that scoot...or us at that age LOL) 37 years ago. Quite the adventure, started out in a hailstorm, highway was covered in 4" of the stuff. She wasn't overly impressed, but it did get better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Longest first ride was a lone trip I took in 1993. Rode from Allentown PA to Hollywood Fl to attend my oldest son's High School graduation. Round trip was over 2500 miles on a Kawasaki EL 250. It was one of my GREATEST rides ever! That first night's shower at the hotel just north of South of the Border off I-95 was and still is the BEST shower I have ever had!

·
Registered
73 Posts
My first long ride was the day we bought our GL1500SE sidecar - bought the bike in Cottage Grove, Oregon and rode it home to San Jose, Ca - about 700 miles non-stop, other than stopping for food and fuel.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My first long ride was from Madison Heights, MI to the UP of Michigan, all the way to Copper Harbor and back July 13 to July 20 2013. Bike was 1998 Honda Magna, 2000 miles.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Mine was in 1986 (or thereabouts) from Winnipeg, Manitoba to Duluth on my '83 Suzuki GS850G to visit Liana when she was going to university there.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
My first long ride was when I got change of station orders from San Diego Ca., to Quantico Va. I got as far as Red River Minnesota when that dang deer decided to argue with my still new wing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
1973, Hellertown, Pa to St John, Canada on my 1972 Kawi H2 750, that was a two stroke

1 - 20 of 29 Posts