Honda Goldwing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yamaha

When I turned 21, and was working full-time and going to school, I finally went against my parents wishes and bought my first motorcycle. I don't remember why I was attracted there, but I ended up at a Yamaha dealership, outside of town. I went there many, many times to sit on the bike, and just sort of dream about the adventures I would have. It was a Yamaha 360 Enduro. It was a great bike, and I ended up even meeting my future wife because of it. (Now, 40 years later, she doesn't want to ride!) On road and off, that bike was a blast.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
My first was a Yammy also. It was a YL1 nicknamed the (Wild one). Rode it forever and sold it to a friend who did the same.

·
Administrator
26,011 Posts
Those Twinstars had to be the most popular starter bikes ever. They tooke the market away from the Honda 100 by virtue of that super sweet two cylinder engine and the unique sound. Around here just about every guy and his dog had one except for me; I always had to be different.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My first was a Honda cl125, 74 model I believe. I rode it til it blew up, had it rebuilt rode it some more and passed it down to my lil bro and he learned to ride on it as well. Man I'd love to have another.

·
Premium Member
5,357 Posts
; I always had to be different.
Some things are a constant in life, but we wouldn't want it any other way. :wink2:

·
Administrator
26,011 Posts
Look like this?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
My first bike was a 1965 650cc BSA Thunderbolt.

I was 17 and just out of Navy bootcamp heading to my first duty station, NAS Oceania Virginia Beach Virginia.

If I can find a picture of it I'll post it.

·
Premium Member
5,960 Posts
My first ride I think was in 1970.. A 1966 Honda cl160 scrambler....bought it used for 200 bucks! Rode the snot out of her!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,835 Posts
My first bike was a 1965 650cc BSA Thunderbolt.

If I can find a picture of it I'll post it.
That was my first bike also, but a 1968 model. Great bike but Lucas, Prince of Darkness, stranded me a time or two. Wish I had some pictures but Hurricane Katrina took all the pre-marriage evidence.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Suzuki TS 185 in 1975. Learned to drive it in a cornfield.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
1980 Honda 650CB Custom
I loved that bike but it started to cost to mush to keep it running so I had to sell it and upgrade to something newer.
LOL Now that I've said it out loud I miss it. LOL looks like I mite be going shopping :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My first Bike was a Christmas gift when I was fourteen. It was a Garelli 50 street scrambler. The frame was barely more than a heavy bicycle but the 2 stroke engine and twin rear sprocket gave it a variety of use. The first bike I bought was a '68 Suzuki Cobra 500 (later this model became the Titan). This was my last two stroke bike and I wish I had it back.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts

'70 Yamaha 350R5
(note the kicker...electric starters were for weak sticks!! :grin2:
No electrical anything except lights. Those turn signals were an option too...and mine didn't have 'em.)

Rode it roundtrip coast-to-coast....TWICE.

Finally sold it in '83 for $50...of which the fellow only ever actually gave me $25.

....sT

·
Registered
414 Posts
in 1964 at the ripe old age of 10, got a slightly used 11hp, Cushman super eagle. I put many a mile on that thing in the next 7 years, riding country roads, oil field roads, farmers fields, and dirt motorcycle trails. Roamed the neighborhood collecting soda bottles at a nickel apiece to buy gas. First legal street bike was a Honda 500 twin.

·
Premium Member
1,999 Posts
As recently posted a 80 CB 750. I was a late comer in getting my bike licence and riding on the street. This was in 2000 when I was 40, with no real intention on getting a bike and riding. I only wanted a licence if I got pulled over going for a spin on someone else bike. Who know it would lead to the passion I have now for riding. Prior to that it would be riding and old buddies home made mini bike and the odd other bike for a spin. A couple years after I sold it to a neighbor and this was taken on his driveway before he sold it.

Attachments

·
Registered
659 Posts
My first bike was a 1974 KZ400 when I was 18. It shocked both my parents that I bought a motorcycle without their knowledge but they were eventually fine with it. It gave me so much freedom, I'd ride the lakefront in Milwaukee every night after work. I drove that little 400 just under 25000 miles before selling it, my only mode of transportation at the time.

I was excited when I saw that bike after so many years of owning it, at the National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, IA, last fall, located on highway 151. The staff were very accommodating also, as they moved two other bikes that were in front of my 400 so I could get this unobstructed photo. I couldn't get over how small the 400 looked next to me, as Im pretty close to the same size now as when I owned it.

That museum is a MUST STOP & SEE if you ever go through Iowa on 151. You can spent 2-3 hours there easy, and there's a pretty good chance any older bike you've owned will be on display there.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 103 Posts