Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 105 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
You know, I don't remember ever having it off road!
I do know its top speed was 60 MPH, downhill with a tail-wind. :laugh2:
Don't feel so bad, I rode a pedal type moped for awhile in Junior College and it topped out at 25. Seemed slow but compared to a bicycle, man that was moving.

I've posted this before in the lounge. I had the world by the tail with my '71 TR90 Suzi. At the ripe old age of 14 we had a special license in AB that allowed 100cc and smaller with the Code 7 endorsement. Then I turned 16, knew everything about everything and bought the Purple People Eater (Norton 750 Commando) that next spring. How it never ate me I'll never know but I never dropped it or had any close calls either. Once I got used to that manky right foot shifter that is; kinda exciting when you go to downshift and hit the brake; yeeouch, rear wheel skid time!:surprise:

Attachments

Reactions: Cantankerous
Kawasaki 175cc Got some good practice in defensive riding with it as the old coots in Venice, FL at the time apparently hated motorcyclists!:surprise:

My first was a 1982 Yamaha Maxim 400. I bought it brand new in 1985 for $1333. My only mode of transportation for 2 years....Good times.

1971/72 ?? Suzuki Trail 90 with a switch on the tranny for street. Used for deer hunting in Eastern Washington and exploring old logging roads in the N.W. corner with Betty uncle Oscar, when he died in 76 I lost interest till 91.

I've posted this before in the lounge. I had the world by the tail with my '71 TR90 Suzi. At the ripe old age of 14 we had a special license in AB that allowed 100cc and smaller with the Code 7 endorsement. Then I turned 16, knew everything about everything and bought the Purple People Eater (Norton 750 Commando) that next spring. How it never ate me I'll never know but I never dropped it or had any close calls either. Once I got used to that manky right foot shifter that is; kinda exciting when you go to downshift and hit the brake; yeeouch, rear wheel skid time!:surprise:
Ha! My problem was the opposite with learning to ride on an English bike. I started with the shift on the right and had to learn to use the left.

Mine was a brand new Honda CT90 (Trail 90) that my dad bought to use on the deer lease.
I don't think he ever got to ride it as I pretty much had it gone most days.
Come to think of it, he (we) still have it tucked away and the last time I tried a couple of years ago, it started right up.

the first one that I was allowed to ride was and old Fox minibike had a 3hp tucumseh engine with a pull rope to start it...... I wore that thing out

The first street bike that I purchased was a 1980 Suzuki GS550L
Used to race it back in my young and stupid 20s
speedo only read 85 and it would peg it in 2nd out 6 gears
drag racing it in the quarter mile.... 2/3 of the run was front wheel in the air

I think Doc had a Hodaka too. Good looking bike though.
I had a hodaka wombat 125, it was my third bike but he first bike I paid for. first bike was a z50a Honda mini trail then a ct70h Honda mini trail
first street bike was a dunstall powered Norton commando 750

Discussion starter · #34 · (Edited)
I had a hodaka wombat 125, it was my third bike but he first bike I paid for. first bike was a z50a Honda mini trail then a ct70h Honda mini trail
first street bike was a dunstall powered Norton commando 750
Kinda like this one Doc? Very cool, allot of the guys started out on dual sport bikes.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #35 ·
the first one that I was allowed to ride was and old Fox minibike had a 3hp tucumseh engine with a pull rope to start it...... I wore that thing out

The first street bike that I purchased was a 1980 Suzuki GS550L
Used to race it back in my young and stupid 20s
speedo only read 85 and it would peg it in 2nd out 6 gears
drag racing it in the quarter mile.... 2/3 of the run was front wheel in the air
That's a nice bike and found this gorgeous cafe racer. Gotta love those early inline fours. From what I've read this bike was fast too and stock could run 14's in the quarter.

Attachments

1972 Honda CB 350 for a few hundred bucks just out of high school.

Keep thinking about looking for one to restore as a winter project.

Brian

Behind "Goldwing" Bars

Discussion starter · #37 ·
1972 Honda CB 350 for a few hundred bucks just out of high school.

Keep thinking about looking for one to restore as a winter project.

Brian

Behind "Goldwing" Bars
You and me too and Mark and......lots of us would love to get our hands on one of these old classics and bring it back to life.

First bike was a mini-bike with a 5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine. At the ripe old age of 14 (we lived in the country so this was pretty old) I got a Honda 90 cc given to me. First gear was gone and we had a pair of vice grips for a clutch lever. It got dropped often and could carry me and 2 friends to our favorite fishing hole. That thing would burn anything in the gas tank that vaguely resembled gasoline. Like has been said above, I would love to find one to rebuild. I think it was a 68.

Steve

Kinda like this one Doc? Very cool, allot of the guys started out on dual sport bikes.
mine had the chrome gas tank like this one

Attachments

First legal registered bike was brand new 1968 CB350-candy apple red. Till last year she still made my longest distance ride even though I owned BMW & 2 wings since 72. Jersey to Skyline and Blue Ridge then to Smyrna Ga and back up the seaboard. Saw only one other bike on those mountains back in 68.

She cost $700, not a small amount in those days.

Pic is not mine.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.