Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I have been out of work I have been buying selling and trading stuff to keep busy and to keep me off the couch.
I got hopefully a decent deal on a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 with 10k on the speedo.
the PO claims that he was either going for a ride or coming back from one when the bike sputtered then backfired and then that was it. so he pushed it in the garage and pretty much gave up on the bike. his wife didn't want him to ride it anyways.
its been sitting about a year or so I had to use wd-40 to loosen up the fuel cap key just to get a smell of the tank, I was surprised to smell fuel not varnish, it does smell old so for sure a complete fuel system overhaul is in order. I bought this bike to flip but my wife has that look in her eyes and was already staking claim. she has not rode anything since we got rid of our Harley's,So I guess if I can bring this bike back to life I will have another vehicle to wash wax maintain Damn what was I thinking?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Old Son,

My gut tells me that it will be running like a top in no time! And it's a really good size for your Mrs./Ms. Better color-tune it, though!:D

Kevin

While I have been out of work I have been buying selling and trading stuff to keep busy and to keep me off the couch.
I got hopefully a decent deal on a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 with 10k on the speedo.
the PO claims that he was either going for a ride or coming back from one when the bike sputtered then backfired and then that was it. so he pushed it in the garage and pretty much gave up on the bike. his wife didn't want him to ride it anyways.
its been sitting about a year or so I had to use wd-40 to loosen up the fuel cap key just to get a smell of the tank, I was surprised to smell fuel not varnish, it does smell old so for sure a complete fuel system overhaul is in order. I bought this bike to flip but my wife has that look in her eyes and was already staking claim. she has not rode anything since we got rid of our Harley's,So I guess if I can bring this bike back to life I will have another vehicle to wash wax maintain Damn what was I thinking?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Old Son,

My gut tells me that it will be running like a top in no time! And it's a really good size for your Mrs./Ms. Better color-tune it, though!:D

Kevin
With the little lady wanting to ride it, I will be going over it with a magnifying glass. first step check fluids 2nd compression test. etc
the 750 will be the smallest bike she has been on, Her last one was a 1200 custom sportster that I put a stage 1 kit in, and she was wanting a larger bike, I think this will suit her just right as it should ride much better than that paint can mixer she used to ride. and yes Kevin, provided I didnt just buy a boat anchor it will get color tuned.:p

BTW what is it with us Kevin's? you know we should be sleeping:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
I listened to a radio show several months ago with the "world authority" on human sleeping patterns. Some of us naturally gravitate toward a 3am+ bedtime with 9-11am wake-up time while others are early to bed and early to rise. It's just the way we are. And, I can be up and at-em at 6am if I need to be; it's just not my NATURAL bio-rythm.

And, his observation of decades/centuries of data? We late-nighters tend to be the most creative and productive folks!:eek::D

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks larry I will check into the stuff you mentioned, I plan on doing some data collection and find out what all needs to be done to make it safe and reliable.
I dont want to dump a bunch of money into it as it not worth that much.
however iy seems like without going broke I should be able to fix it as long as the motor is sound,

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Larry for the info, I just came back in from just trying to wash the bike, my back and neck say WTF are you doing? so I guess i wont be working on it.
the good news is I worked a deal with a mechanic from NY that is down on his luck and has no tools, so I agreed to hook him up with all my snap on tools to do work around my house, well I guess he will be doing the work for me on the bike under my supervision of course.
My wife is so excited to ride I sure hope my neck starts to get better so I can ride the Wing.
I did however ride my wing around the block yesturday I kept it in 2nd and just putted but man that felt soooooooo good talk about missing riding, I only hope my health gets good enough to ride with some of you guys in fact that is number one on my bucket list that i just started. I dont care if i have to ship my bike closer to you guys I would be honored to ride with you all. ( sorry Pain pills are kicking in and I get all mushy)

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
We'll be looking forward to the ride my friend. Of course there'll have to be pictures:D:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Well, don't know 'what' you were thinking, but at least you are thinking. Keep up posted on the results.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far we removed the tank drained the tank and Removed it topped off and charged the battery and sparkplugs.
we tested for found that the ignition system works the starter is good.
The oil smells like old fuel.
we went over the whole bike checking for loose missing fasteners a d we found some loose and also found some missing on the exhaust.
I am going to change the oil and filter and install new sparkplugs fill the tank with fresh fuel and yes I will try some mechanic in a bottle before I remove and rebuild the carbs.
If it works I will be the first to admit
That you don't always have to rebuild the carbs
When a bike has sat too long.
Well see .
So far the bike looks good the exhaust has been crushed in slightly on one side so i need to replace a pipe which is around 100 bucks
So i am pleased with what I see.
I will have mainly cosmetic work to to it seems.
This bike has been garage kept but it seems it wasn't washed and waxed properly So it has some rusted fasteners here and there that I will deal with. All the maintenance items will have to be gone over. So far it seems to be well worth what I paid and worthly of Karen to ride once I get done with it. As far as value compared to what is available this bike might bring 12-15 if I just got it running but like we know it well never be worth customizing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts