Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
35 years ago I had a bike and just got a 1995 1500SE, has a bushtect trailer with it.

I finally quit riding last weekend in shorts and tennis shoes and decided I had better get some safety gear. Bought a Jacket and pants, as well as boots all 100% waterproof with zip out liners, and gloves. I think leather may look better, but not waterproof and to hot out in my next of the woods.

I have a open face Vega helmet that came with the bike, But I have been shopping for a modular helmet. Buying a helmet is like buying golf clubs to many brands with to many features. Tried a bunch on, Bilt, Nolan,Shoei its just hard to justify the high prices of some of these, but hey its your head, the thing you should most protect.

So my question is a newby, what type of helemt do you wear, brand and why? WHat sold you on the model and brand you wear? I wear glasses and some fo the helmets made a mess of them.

I am getting ready to do my first Iron Butt ride the 22nd of this month and want a modular helmet.

Any advice or comments will be taken ?

I only have 29,000 miles on the bike I will be third owner, changed the oil, plugs, air filter fuel filter, getting new E3's front and back Monday with Dyna beads and getting brake system flushed. Have mounted my GPS, XM radio, GoPro camera, Tire pressure system, CB is at Serria Electronics getting a modulate chip in is So I can transmit.
But I really need a better helmet, I figure if I go down thats what I will have left is half a face...
Anything else I should do?
Thanks. Hallct

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
I wear a Skid Lid half helmet while on the trike, busy traffic with distracted drivers I need to be able to hear and see what is going on around me. It's also light weight and came in X-tra small. I have over eyeglasses sunglasses one is gray for day light and the other is yellow for night time and has a foam seal, off road goggles for when it rains.
Always carry rain wear and bungee cords.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
IMHO the most important feature of a helmet is it has to fit well. You can buy the most expensive helmet or the coolest looking one, but if it doesn't fit your noggin' it's all but worthless.

I've had helmets that fit great in the store, but after a few miles started hurting here or there with pressure points.

or, the ones that fit great at first, but once broken in are too loose.

If you can try one on, then walk around the store for 1/2 hour or longer to see if it still feels OK.

I have a Shoei shaped head and currently have the Neotech. I'm a fan of the modular helmets. Easier for wearing glasses and ride with with the chin up when I want to.

Just my two pennies....

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Over the years I have had modular helmets from HJC, Nolan, and Shoei. In the modular helmet world there exists such a wide array of features that it is very hard to know what to buy. First off, at the risk of stating the obvious you really have to try the helmet on before you purchase it because the fit and shape of each brand will be different. I wear an XXL in HJC and Nolan, and XL and Shoei. Next you have to decide what features are important to you. Most of the newer modular helmets have removable padding that are moisture wicking and antimicrobial. In the last two years a lot more attention has been paid to the ventilation within the helmets. Most of the mid range and higher-priced modular helmets have a built-in sunvisor and are Bluetooth ready for those of us with the newer types of intercom systems. There is a lot of variability with the visor attachment mechanisms but most are fairly simple to remove and reapply The higher-priced helmets are made of new composite materials that make them lighter and stronger. If safety is important to you then you should know that modular helmets will only receive crash ratings from DOT and will not be Snell rated. I have purchased my last two helmets from a motorcycle website called Rev-Zilla. They have video breakdowns and comparisons on all their products including a great video on the newer types of modular helmets that are out there. There are some really nice helmets out there from HJC and Nolan in the $200-$300 range. Such as the SyMax3 by HJC. my son has this helmet and really likes it. It is lighter and has a better ventilation system than the previous Symax2. Last month I bought the Shoei Neotec. It's one of the higher-priced helmets but it has great ventilation, is very quiet and lighter than the previous helmets that I owned. I have a SENA SMH 10 Bluetooth intercom system and it fits very well with this helmet. The Neotec also has a new pin lock visor system that reduces fogging when the visor is completely closed. These are just a few things to think about when choosing a modular helmet. Go to the Rev-Zilla web site and watch the modular helmet videos I think it will help you make a more informed purchase.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
H, another good website is "webbikeworld.com". It has a huge library of thorough reviews of helmets. They go into detail on weight, venting, eyeport (periphial field and room for glasses) and head shape (round or oval). A lot of good info.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
I was looking the other day and saw one that had a built in Blue Tooth. I am considering that as a replacement for my Shoei.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Shoei Multitech, comfortable, fit & modular, LOVE it!

Mark

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Have several.

HJC IS33 for Wing riding Nice helmet w/built in sun visor
Simpson Full face - ehhhh Heavy
Bell Full Face - For Nighthawk riding - Love this helmet

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Nolan modular N-43. Lightweight and comfortable. Has built in flip down sun screen which is nice feature...

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
All my recent helmets have been HJC, although I do not have a modular one yet. One is full face flip up for the fall/winter/spring on my Yamaha and the summer one for that bike is a 1/2 helmet. For the Honda I have a 3/4 helmet with a full shield. I was able to easily install the J&M headset in those and with the front windshield they work just right for us. They seem well built and the price was reasonable.

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
I've had numerous helmerts Arai, Shoei, HJC, Fulmer etc. For the price and the performance and certification it's hard to beat the HJC offerings. We have IS-33's for the Wing, and I wear a CL-16 c/w pinlock on the RC51 (replaced my Arai Vector after it em, had a concrete problem). It was 1/4 the price of the Arai and is a far better helmet all round.

·
Registered
246 Posts
As an avowed Helmet I've tried/worn quite a few helmets, inexpensive and expensive (for me that's a helmet that costs over #300.00). A Shark Evolution helmet was a grand piece of headgear; however, after wearing it for two weeks of a six-week trip, I started to get a teriffic pain in the neck. It got so bad I stopped in a little town in Nebraska and bought a new helmet on sale for $89.00, open face with a plexi shield. I mailed the Shark home and later gave it to a grand nephew who has a strong neck:) Later I got another modular helmet, the same thing happened after a few days of ridding; but this time I just removed the face shield and all was okay. Evidently the additional weight of the face shield is enough to cause me pain. My everyday helmet is a Vega open-face with a face shield, the modular is used for long trips and I will install the face shield for short trips where I may encounter inclement weather.

The weight of a helmet affects my ridding pleasure. Hope this help you!

·
Registered
126 Posts
For me - I live in Florida - we have no law that you have to wear one. I choose to wear one.

Why? To protect my hat holder! So, that being settled, I want the best helmet I can afford. For me that is usually HJC - Modular. I feel it is a quality piece and offers very good protection. Are there better helmets? Yup, but like everything else in life - it is a compromise....

·
Registered
36 Posts
HJC CL-16 at first but it's to loud....lots of of wind noise....stays on the shelf now
Shoei Quest....not cheap but very quiet and light, I like it alot. I also still wear half-helmets....mostly Vegas

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've been very impressed with the Scorpion line.

I have the EXO-100 half helmet with the drop down sun screen mainly for the warmer weather. I was going to get the Nolan N-104 modular for the winter until I saw Scorpion's EXO-900 modular. What I love about the 900 is that you can remove the entire face (modular portion) shield and have a 3/4 helmet. They even give you a visor to snap on after you remove the modular portion and it also has the drop down sun screen as well. Now I'm set for the summer and winter!:D

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
I am very pleased with my new HJC CS-R2 full face helmet. $115 all-in with clear and tinted faceshields. Quiet and well made. Well, it wasn't hard to improve on a 20-year old Bieffe helmet!:eek:

I'm still in the break-in period, so a little too snug, but we'll get there. It's plain bright white, to which I add reflective tape front, sides and back. I could spend more money on a fancier (or at least more expensive) helmet, but honestly, do you really want to survive a wreck that could crack a GOOD helmet? How do you think the rest of your body would be doing?:eek:

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
hjc ac3 open face helmet with a dark smoke face shield, too bad hjc stopped making them

·
Registered
72 Posts
To me a full face helmet isolates my senses and limits my peripheral vision. I have them, both modular and straight full face. But wear a DOT half helmet. If there was a 3/4 helmet that extended down the back of my neck to protect that vital stem area I'd be all over that. But I haven't seen such as of yet..

IMO maximum situational awareness trumps the added protection of the full face helmet. Different folks have different priorities. And some will give up more in the name of safety than others. For myself, the enjoyment of being more "in" my current riding environment, and the increased situational awareness I know I'll get from the half helmet overrides the protection I might get from a full face.

Some will undoubtedly see this as foolhardy. Opinions vary. :cool: d:^) Schneeks..

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I have one for each season skid lid is a Bilt , 3/4 is a vega, full is a HJC, last but not least is a vega modular which I don't care for much due to noise.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.