Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ok, I know this'll get at least a couple of smart answers, but seriously, what works best in hot weather riding to stay cool and still have some road rash protection?

Black leather chaps over jeans are hot, and my black cordura riding pants W/O the liners are really bad. Everybody always talks about the evap vests, but what about from the waist down?

YV

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
im just wearing jeans right now until my mesh pants from joe rocket comes in

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
first gear mesh tex pants in warm weather like this

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll check out all those recommendations lads. My wife's girlfriend had talked about mesh pants after I mentioned my Joe Rocket Mesh jacket, but I thought she was just joking.

YV

·
Registered
334 Posts
I was coming home from work Friday and saw a HD rider coming the other way,flip-flops and shorts and that was all!! no paints,on shirt,no helmet. I know it was hot but I would hate to see the road rash if he had an accident (hamburger). I ride with boots and jeans and vest,or at least a t-shirt. Hal

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
It's hot in Florida and long pants are a must, shirt and vest with half helmet.
Shoes, socks optional.
The rain was refreshing.

·
Banned
15 Posts
I've read dozens of rave revues of the LDComfort underwear from riders on many forums. The stuff is not exactly cheap, but it really works, they say; even in 100+ degree temps. And here in Arizona, it often tops 110 in the shade. A LOT of riders here speak very highly of this gear. I ordered a set today, including the skull cap. It's underwear, so you wear them under whatever protective gear you want. You can check them out at:

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

·
Registered
674 Posts
Well if you are a beautiful fit,tan woman. As little as possible.:D

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
I've read dozens of rave revues of the LDComfort underwear from riders on many forums. The stuff is not exactly cheap, but it really works, they say; even in 100+ degree temps. And here in Arizona, it often tops 110 in the shade. A LOT of riders here speak very highly of this gear. I ordered a set today, including the skull cap. It's underwear, so you wear them under whatever protective gear you want. You can check them out at:

http://www.ldcomfort.com/
+1 & then some with what Jeff said.

I wear these products & the work. Couple them up with Bohn armour & be safe.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was coming home from work Friday and saw a HD rider coming the other way,flip-flops and shorts and that was all!! no paints,on shirt,no helmet. I know it was hot but I would hate to see the road rash if he had an accident (hamburger). I ride with boots and jeans and vest,or at least a t-shirt. Hal
besides an accident, and I grew up riding in fla and made this mistake just yesterday. is the heat of the highway/road and engine will bake you. at least long jeans, at least. I am sure this other cool gear out there, and I m gonna have to check out those links given, but not shorts. no.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I draw the line at flops, i will usually wear my ankle high hikers. most always in a tank top & shorts. I know the risk and have been down before. I ride like i live, comfy. I always thought the idea was to keep it shiny side up

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I wear Olympia mesh pants on longer rides in the heat, blue jeans on short rides. If it's really hot (above 100) I stay inside. I'm a proud member of Eric's C.A.T. club.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just spent a week touring Colorado (started in San Antonio). For a couple days, we were dealing with 105 degrees. We tied the mesh jackets on the luggage rack and went with white long sleeve T-Shirts which we soaked every 60 miles or so. I used my bandana to soak the front of my jeans, which stayed wet for about ten minutes at best. We also got crushed ice and rolled that inside our bandana's. My wife rode pillion and carried more crushed ice and water. As we rode, my wife would re-wet our shirts and put ice down my shirt. It made an otherwise miserable situation tolerable. Low-tech, but sometimes nessecity is the mother of invention.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Aside from leather and armored clothing jeans give very good protection from road rash or even fire burns. ALWAYS a long sleeve shirt and boots minimum.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Until the temps hit triple digits, I wear my full gear without the rain liners (they block airflow and promote sweating...very sticky). I wear long but light duty underwear and a long sleeved T to keep a fabric layer between me and the jacket/pants. Once the temps cross the century mark, all bets are off and other than boots, gloves and helmet I just take my chances with the road rash and stay cool best way I can. I worry more about wind and sun burn than abrasive flesh removal so Coppertone is my friend!:cool::D

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Once the temps cross the century mark, all bets are off and other than boots, gloves and helmet
Is that legal in Canada? You'll need lots of sunscreen with so much exposure. Ouch, that's kinky Daryl.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Always somebody has to read more into it than there is:p pffffftttt. I do wear jeans and a t-shirt:rolleyes: em, usually:eek:

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Diamond Gusset Defender kevlar lined jeans worked well for me on a 4500 mile trip the last two weeks in CO and UT in 100+ deg heat.

I wet the inside of my mesh jacket and that stayed cool for about an hour, kept a thick microfiber cloth soaked in water around my neck and draped down my chest, that worked for over an hour. would wet down my jeans, and that didn't work for so long, but once going the wet would cool me down from the stop, and the jeans weren't uncomfortable once going and dry.

Covering up in the heat is the best way to go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.