Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to pick the brains of those here to see just what do you guys, or gals, pack in your wings. What I mean is what is in your arsenal of items you will not leave home without when you ride, ie., bike cover, fix a flat, first aid kit, snacks, etc. What do you have to have with you or you don't ride. Does it matter how far you go or not?
I want to start stocking the storage areas with essential items but I know I am forgetting things. Right now all I have is the tool kit that came with the bike. I know I need to get more stuff,, but what?

Thanks.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Since I don't own a trailer yet, I pack nothing but cloths and toiletries/necessities.
Other than that, I carry cleaner/wax, rags and an air gauge.

Anything else, I can buy on the road if I need it.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Jeff, you are going to get two different answers from me. 1 short trips - nothing. Now there are things I leave in the bike all the time (Plexsus, electrical tape, spare fuses, tire plug kit, zip ties, tire guage, GW tool kit, flashlight & air hose). 2 Long trip includes addition of 1st aid kit, duct tape, a couple bungee chords & fuel filter.

I'm sure I'm forgeting something so hopefully we'll get some more responses & I'll get some more ideas as well.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Stuff that never leave my bike, air gauge, slime air compressor, tire plugs, camera, water bottle, when you go on a trip don't over pack. You can get a couple of days from a pair of jeans and you only need 1 pair of boots for riding and 1 pair of shoes for relaxing at night. You can do laundry on the road if you are gone for a long time, no need to bring 14 sets of clothes if you are gone 2 weeks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am like most of the above, I have a very light rain oversuit, a basic toolkit, compressor, tyre plug, tyre pressure gauge, electrical insulating tape, light bike cover (in case I have to leave the bike somewhere, I feel it is safer if it is covered) and a first aid kit (not for me, but to help the less fortunate that have fallen off!:)). I also keep a disposable camera on the bike in case I am in an accident (or witness an accident) I might be able to take some pictures to help the insurance claim later on

Gary

·
Registered
57 Posts
Regarding the tire plug kit, has anyone used it? I was wondering if they actually work? Thanks to the grace of God I have one but have never had the opprotunity to use it.
Has anyone had experience with the can of tire foam that plugs holes and re-inflates tires?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Add a small compressor too.

First Aid kit, tire repair plug cords, couple of small towels and bug cleaner, rain wear (2)
sometimes an extra helmet, sun glasses, water or wait and buy at market, cell phone charger, cell phone, pair of jeans and tee shirt, underwear. Medicine. Toiletries or I just carry a comb in my pocket and skip the teeth unless I am gone for a while. Little things can be found on the road anyway. Atlas. Thats a lot but I have a trike, so more storage.A bathing suit would be a great idea too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys, I had a buddy install the cigarette lighter type plug in inside my left box up front. I plugged in my 12 volt air compressor just to increase the psi a little and it quit running. After opening the fuse box and checking that all were okay, it dawned on him that the manufactured cigarette lighter with its wiring has a built in cartridge type fuse.
Well, it was only a 3 amp thus would not carry the compressor long. Changed the cartridge fuse to a 15 amp and compressor now works. So if you added one of these lighter type plug ins with the cylintrical type fuse holder on it, increase the rating of that fuse before you find yourself stranded. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you haven't tried the wicking type tee shirts for hot weather, Walmart has some made by Dickie. I think they are around 9 bucks. They also have some good "breathable" tee shirts in shiny black and they can be found on hangers, not in shrink pacs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Guys I need some advice: I 've been reading all the sales inserts in the paper and there are many GPS's with reasonable prices. They are reconditioned by the factory, but so what, they work. Tom Tom has some for $89, $95, and Garmin has some for around $127 or such. My problem is these are all car GPS's and are not motorcycle GPS's nor are they listed as waterproof. I want to get out CHEAP, so please don't tell me about your $500-$800 etc. models you own. As many readers as there are in here I'd bet someone has already found a cheap solution and way to mount it. Replies please.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Get any type of GPS that you want and buy a Ram Mount. i have one one both brackets on the handlebar clamps and they look good, like they were OEM. You can then get a custom holder for just about any type of accessory (GPS, cell phone, iPod etc). I paid about $12 for each mount and about $20 for the GPS speific cradle. I don't belive that a GPS needs to be waterproof. if it is raining and you are fighting the wet roads you are not going to be watching a GPS.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hey guys, I had a buddy install the cigarette lighter type plug in inside my left box up front. I plugged in my 12 volt air compressor just to increase the psi a little and it quit running. After opening the fuse box and checking that all were okay, it dawned on him that the manufactured cigarette lighter with its wiring has a built in cartridge type fuse.
Well, it was only a 3 amp thus would not carry the compressor long. Changed the cartridge fuse to a 15 amp and compressor now works. So if you added one of these lighter type plug ins with the cylintrical type fuse holder on it, increase the rating of that fuse before you find yourself stranded. Hope this helps someone.

Jenkinsrawhide I would be VERY, VERY, VERY HESITANT about running most air compressors from a poweroutlet in the LF pocket. It is my understanding that you risk frying the circuit because the wiring is not rated for it. Also you might be lucky that that lighter had a 3 amp fuse in it. I think the fuse in the bike is only 5 amp for this circuit. I have that outlet but I don't use it for my air compressor. I ran an outlet straight off the battery that is hot all the time and wired in a 15 amp fuse and mounted it in the trunk.

In addition to the other items that others mentioned:

1. Concealed hardware and its licence.

2. Cash and credit cards (I have left home many times and forgot one or the other).

3. EAR PLUGS FOR SLEEPING on overnight trips if I am sharing a room with my friend Dickie who snores like an elephant in the rutting season.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jenkinsrawhide I would be VERY, VERY, VERY HESITANT about running most air compressors from a poweroutlet in the LF pocket. It is my understanding that you risk frying the circuit because the wiring is not rated for it. Also you might be lucky that that lighter had a 3 amp fuse in it. I think the fuse in the bike is only 5 amp for this circuit. I have that outlet but I don't use it for my air compressor. I ran an outlet straight off the battery that is hot all the time and wired in a 15 amp fuse and mounted it in the trunk.

In addition to the other items that others mentioned:

1. Concealed hardware and its licence.

2. Cash and credit cards (I have left home many times and forgot one or the other).

3. EAR PLUGS FOR SLEEPING on overnight trips if I am sharing a room with my friend Dickie who snores like an elephant in the rutting season.
+ 1 for the concealed hardware and permit ! Also, in my case, extra contacts and cleaner.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I always have a wet terry washcloth in a baggie for first step windshield cleaning.Also,after seeing it on here,i carry an umbrella.If not for yourself,it may help someone else who's been stranded on the roadside in the blazing sun. And many other things mentioned already.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Jenkinsrawhide
Increasing the ampreage of a fuse leads to not protecting the wiring. Now somewhere down inside all the wiring mess you might end up with a melted wire and a fire!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, some excellent responses. What I was mostly after was not what to pack for a trip but what do you keep on the bike before you go for a ride or a trip; essential tools. I want to start putting stuff together in hopes of once I am out somewhere I would have mostly what I need. Fuses, flashlight, umbrella, etc..

·
Registered
10 Posts
In the summer I pack "neck coolers". I have a few more tools than the basic honda kit. I carry all the stuff afore mentioned things that the others have listed. You'll learn what you " NEED" and what is over packing after a couple trips. make a list of what you take. Then at the end see what you didn't need or what you wish you had taken along. And don't forget the cigars and scotch. A must have after a long day in the saddle and sitting next to mountain stream in Colorado.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts