Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally achieved what I formerly thought was impossible and have saved up enough to buy a new (and my first) Goldwing. My question is, should I wait for the 2011 version or go for the 2010? I have found some new 2010s for what appear to be very reasonable prices ($18,500- basic model). I fear the 2011 will again be out of my price range when it comes out. I like that all the kinks have been ironed out of the current version but the thought of new technological advances is interesting as well. Not sure if I need to be more patient for the new one or start enjoying the 2010. Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Nobody has a crystal ball I'm afraid, but I have an inkling that the 2011 models will show a price increase. I'm basing this on the fact that the 2011 models will be built in the new plant in Japan. That combined with the strength of the yen vs the dollar and I wouldn't doubt that prices will rise inspite of the current economic woes around the world. I know we'd all like to see prices go down, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Super Moderator
9,992 Posts
You don't say where you are from, but if your up north like me you won't get much riding in until April. I don't know when the 2011 Wings will be announced, but I think it will probably be late spring or early summer. That said, there was a $900 increase from 2009 to 2010 model years on what are identical bikes. So I would expect an increase in the 2011 models. Also, when the 2011 comes out I think you will begin to see deals on 2009-2010 models sitting in dealer showrooms. Or you may even find some good low mileage 09-10 bikes that people are selling to get the new model.

I would wait until late spring/early summer to see what Honda does. I think it gives you more options. JMHO... Ride safe and good luck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good advice

Thanks, I guess that I can wait a while and see what turns up. I had not considered the possible resale prices going down on older or used versions when the new ones come out. Now, patience.....:(

·
Registered
347 Posts
Personally, I'd go for the 2010. It was assembled in the USA and they've had several years to get all the kinks worked out. With a possible new model and new assembly plant, you may get all kinds of new design/assembly bugs. I'd never buy the first year of any new model vehicle just for that reason (IMHO).

·
Registered
147 Posts
You could always do both..... Buy a new wing now (at a knock down price) and then trade it in in a year for the newer model
... you'd have an extra year to save for the additional cost, but most of all, you wouldn't miss out on a whole year of Wing riding!

:D

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd buy a 2010 and send a letter to Honda telling them that I prefer the 2010 because it was American made, by American workers. If more people do that Honda may decide to put their flagship bike being built in it's biggest market. I think about all the workers who lost their jobs (from even related parts subed out) and it would make me walk away from the 2011. Somewhere we as Americans need to take a stand. I'll get off my soapbox now, lol

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I would wait, if there is a change in the 2011 you might want to get one of those and the dealers should be cutting the prices of left over 09 and 10 real deep just in case you don't like the new wing. Then if there are a lot of changes there will be several used 09 and 10 for sale because the owners are wanting to move up to the 2011.
http://www.ml122595.com/media/curvid.php?DealerNumber=105845&Pwd=nice&Page=curre nt

·
Registered
392 Posts
Lots of solid opinions and good ones to boot.....

The question is do you want to ride now or wait......

Only you know your patience level.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,117 Posts
Hope they don't come out with a six speed. I will be very envious. Damn Honda for not putting in the cruise gear years ago.

·
Premium Member
24,117 Posts
Once a year I visit Phoenix and rent a Harley and tootle around. That sixth gear is pretty sweet when your out on the long open road. No power to accelerate and it can make you a little busy with the left shoe, but you feel the engine relaxing . I'm always in 5th gear with the Wing no matter what road I'm on. Other than that, she's puuuuurfect.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
buy down, trade up

Why not buy an 06 or 06 now, low miles, cared for etc. Then trade out of it when the 11's come in. I agree w radar though, first year of a new model is a risk.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Which to buy...

Id look for an 07 with 12K miles on it at a good price. A couple years from now may well be a better time to evaluate Hondas corporate direction. Meanwhile save a lot of money on the bike, license, and insurance by getting a clean used Wing. Remember, Wing Owners take care of their bikes. Gettting a lemmon with a used wing is a lot rarer than buying a used 600cc super sport bike from a wild eyed, slobbering 19 year old.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Chopin....OMG!

Noooooooooo, not the drink holder!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got a new 2010 a couple months ago and love it. The next GW will be a 2012 coming out in late 2011 so I would probably want to wait a year or two to let them work out the inevitable bugs. If it is wonderful, then I will trade in my 2010 (the last of the AMERICAN made GWs) while it is still holding its value.

I just couldn't see waiting another year or three. Life is short!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.