Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about purchasing my first Goldwing. This bike has appeared on Craigslist:

1994 Honda Goldwing SE1500 Interstate; 52+k miles; $6000 OBO;

When the owner gets back in town I'm going to take a look at it. Can anyone give me some pointers on what to look for and does anyone have any information about this particular model? It's about $1,000 over blue book I think.

Also, I'm not in a hurry to buy so if I should avoid this bike can someone suggest a better year/model I should be looking for (or ones to avoid)? I probably don't want to spend too much over 12K. Any information would be appreciated.

Finally, what mileage is too high for a used Wing? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Sounds like a decent price. See what maint records are available. You can tell a lot from the maint records and the general condition of the bike. Drive train was pretty much the same for GL1500's from 1988 to 2000 and there are not a lot of issues with any one year. Based on maint, the bike may need fluid changes, tires, coolant change, etc. Just normal stuff. Timing belts are due at 80K or 8 years, so you may want to have them checked. Miles on bike are not an issue if it's been maintained. Many Wings go well over 100k and 200k is not out of the realm of possibility. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Oh yea, I forgot.. Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Glad you found us..

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If you have approx. $12K in your budget, I would be looking @ 1800's!
13K can get you some nicely blinged out 05-06 Wings. Both of which could still have warranty, if the owners bought the extended warranties!
There are some excellant offers being made in the for sale section of www.gl1800riders.com right now. Also, ome nice one's on E-bay. However, a lot of people who list on E-bay are "dreaming" w/ their "buy it now" prices and reserves being placed.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
That actually sounds like a very good price. Cdn Blue book is $6000 'rough' and very few Wings are what I'd call rough. Yes the USD values are significantly lower than ours, but that's still more than fair. Have a boo at her and see what there is for records as Two Wheel mentioned.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Just remember that the Interstsate model won't have reverse(I don't know how important that is to you) and probably won't have a C.B. radio. I would probably opt for a late model 1500 '98-2000 or an early model 1800 would still be in your price range. Good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just remember that the Interstsate model won't have reverse(I don't know how important that is to you) and probably won't have a C.B. radio. I would probably opt for a late model 1500 '98-2000 or an early model 1800 would still be in your price range. Good luck and welcome.

Thanks for all the great info everybody! Here is the rest of the Craigslist post:
reverse gear, am/fm radio w/CB and cassette, new helmet w/headset, intercom, cruise control, high windshield, wind deflectors, rear speakers, highway pegs, luggage rack, tires are in good shape, recent oil change, running lights, cover

I was surprised to see reverse listed as I was reading it wasn't an option on Interstates. Maybe it's an after market addition? Also, I figured as fast as technology has been changing CBs would have gone the way of the cassette player. Are they still used much?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I'm getting the CB put in mine likely over the winter. They are very useful on group rides, or when travelling with another bike equipped with one for fuel stops, getting separated etc. It's amazing how many Wings have the cb up here.

·
Super Moderator
28,442 Posts
I was surprised to see reverse listed as I was reading it wasn't an option on Interstates. Maybe it's an after market addition? Also, I figured as fast as technology has been changing CBs would have gone the way of the cassette player. Are they still used much?
dcb09, The price seems good but as Matt said Interstates didn't have reverse. Tread carefully & check the bike out thoroughly. SEs & Interstates didn't mix, it can't be both. There is something not right with the description. No such thing as an aftermarket reverse addition. I'm not trying to complicate the issue but just make sure you know what your getting, sometimes when a purchase is being made things slip through the cracks. You should also ask about records as Two Wheel suggested.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
It's either an SE or it's an Interstate. It can't be both!
1994 GL-1500 Interstate - Candy Red (retail $10,199) Pearl Dark Teal or Black (retail $9,999)
1994 GL-1500 Aspencade - Candy Red (retail $13,199) Pearl Dark Teal or Black (retail $12,999)
1994 GL-1500 SE - Pearl Green two-tone, Pearl Teal two-tone, Candy Red two-tone (retail $15,299) or Pearl White solid (retail $15,599)
Nearly two decades after it's introduction, the GoldWing continues to define the touring class through the process of continuous refinement. Honda again offers three models for '94, the SE in four color choices, and the Aspencade and Interstate in three choices each. The Interstate carries on in it's role as the lightest member of the Wing family (with no reverse), the Aspencade remains the full-featured model, and the SE crowns the very top of the Wing family three.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's either an SE or it's an Interstate. It can't be both!

1994 GL-1500 SE - Pearl Green two-tone, Pearl Teal two-tone, Candy Red two-tone (retail $15,299) or Pearl White solid (retail $15,599)
Great. Thanks! It's two-tone red which must mean it's an SE.

One other question I have is about trailer hitches. It has one. I always shy away from used cars with a hitch because you never know what was towed and for how long. Is that a concern for bikes. I doubt the guy was ever towing his boat with it. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Chances are he towed a m/c trailer or had a pakit rack on the back. I would check with the owner as to how often he towed and how heavy the loads. Towing can add some additional wear on items like suspension and possibly the tranny, but a lot of folks tow with the Wing and never have any problems. The engine is certainly capable of pulling a trailer...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts