Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We stayed in Maggie Valley and had a nice ride to Robbinsville. Got a great early lunch, the sun was shining. It's June and warm in the low 80's.

Bike cover is hanging on the shower rack back at the hotel and I emptied out the uneeded items out of the bike that morning including my rain gear. The weather channel says it's a perfect day.

10 miles later up 129 North it began to rain.
It was dark gray behind us and ahead of us. We went on.
It thundered and then the lightening started. We were in the cloud -there is no place to stop.. I thought, what could be worse, Then it began to hail. Not big but watched them fragment on my face shield and windshield on impact.

We finally got to Deal's Gap with the other 200 bikes and found a tree. (there is room for 198 bikes.)

It rained and poured, the damn cloud was just hung between the mountains but it finally stopped pouring down.

Either direction was a risk so we rode the dragon in a light rain.
By the end, it was raining pretty hard again and decided not to go thru that rainstorm twice.

It took 4 hours to get back to the motel.

We still had a ball, we found some unexpected great rides back trying to avoid the rain.

On the North side of the Dragon we found the 'Foothill Parkway' and headed East? Damn clouds, it was hard to get our bearings without the sun and the snaky roads. But it was great and the ride between Gatlinburg and Cherokee was beautiful even tho' it was wet.

We will go back when we can stay longer and retrace our path when it's dry.

So next time, I will have the bike cover, the rain gear and I will buy an old fashioned, non-satellite, dependant compass for the bike. (GPS on the phone is great as long as there's a signal). Seriously would have given 50 bucks for a couple of cheap tarps, 1 to strap across 2 bikes to make a tent and another to sit on.

Sounds awful but can't wait to go back. :):):)

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
You left the Mrs. Raingear and Mr. Bikecover hanging high and dry at the hotel ? They are probably still laughing about it.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
If you ride a bike you will get wet sooner or later, but you will get wet. Been there, done that and got the tee shirt. Glad you had a safe ride and a good memory....

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Most people when they talk about the Dragon talk about the twisties but this is the first time someone has talked about the rain. This is one I will remember and try not to make the same mistake. Even in the rain, I am sure it will be one of the highlights of your trip.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, we still had a lot of fun but we learned a few lessons.

hail sucks
never trust the weather channel if your in the mountains
wet gear close by is as good as not having wet gear.

My friend was on an aero 1100, he had tennis shoes and his feet were frozen but we still laughed the whole time at ourselves and situation. I was well prepared and left most of it at the hotel. At least we did this short run on our own. We didn't have the Mrs.'s with us and that was the only smart thing we did.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
The learning process is sometimes slow and sometime painful, but WOW you are out riding. Have had similar experiences in the past., amazing how well those big trash bags resembles rain gear in a pinch. :)

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Sorry to hear about the adversity. Being from Seattle..... we just plan on it raining and when it doesn't, it just amazes us.

Go Mariners!!

gosh Larry, didn't know you were clairvoyent. Even the hair is about right.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Glad you had a safe, if wet, trip.

gosh Larry, didn't know you were clairvoyent. Even the hair is about right.

That made me chuckle!

:D:D

·
Registered
223 Posts
I am with Red Fox...I have been on many forums but never heard a Dragon story about rain.....thats a great tale....a good memory for you.....
I am one of the few who dont like the Dragon....been there several times....just too many crazies for me.

Glad you had a good time...ride safe

·
Super Moderator
14,413 Posts
Glad to hear you had a safe trip. That story will just get funnier with age. I don't always have the rain gear but I'll probably make sure it is in the bike this evening.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts