Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my VTX 1800 for sale online and someone purchased it.I am in New York and the buyer is in Oregon.He sent a Bank wire transfer last thursday and it was deposited into my checking account.We talked on the phone 3 times and maybe 3 or 4 emails before the deal.The buyer said he knows a driver that travels cross country and he would be picking the bike up.Well,i have not heard from the buyer since the wire transfer.I sent 3 emails and called 3 times with no email response and i leave message on his voicemail.I have since spent the $5,000 (bought the wife a new kitchen,& a few new goldwing parts) and i still have his bike here,but cannot get ahold of him.I want to do the right thing,but not sure what to do,it has been a week with no contact.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As long as you have the room just hang on to it for him. I just sold an original Honda CB450 Black Bomber (11 Miles) to a guy in Kansas and he's having a little trouble finding the "right" transporter. It's been about a month now but it's paid for so I don't mind giving him time. As far as the communication problem we never know what happens in other peoples lives so I wouldn't worry about it much as I'm sure you'll hear from him soon. As far as the money/deal goes It's sold and the deal is done, just waiting for the pickup. Imo. Blake

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts
Since you have his $$ you will probably hear from him shortly. Just as a caution, make sure he (or anyone else) is able to make a withdrawal from your account without your consent. Last thing you need is for someone to drain your account... JMHO...

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Yep, just sit tight. Did you transfer the title to him? If so, the bike is legally his and it's up to him to deal with the transport, insurance too.

·
Administrator
15,310 Posts
What everyone said. It's his now and you are storing it for him.

·
Registered
344 Posts
God forbid, but he may be dealing with some emergency or family crisis. I would wait a while longer. After all it is the decent thing to do since he already paid you. If you don't hear from him you may have to try getting in touch with his wife.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
This sounds so much like one of the spam deals. I would be very leery......Its amazing that you got the payment. Make sure you watch your account. I have heard this scenario from several folks.
Person wants to buy the bike and will have someone to pick it up. Just need bank info to wire a transfer. Tread carefully

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
You might get a phone call from his shipper, before you ever hear back from him.
As has been said above, watch your account closely, he may have done the deal just to get your account information to make up bogus checks and drain your account.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm suspicious. Make sure the money is really in the bank, that it didn't get pulled out or something. I refuse to do business that way, too many scams.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just for future reference, NEVER EVER do a wire transfer to your bank account. You need to contact, in person, your bank and have them put an alert on your account. In other words, lock your account. Do this right after you read this. Your bank account, like your social security number, like the combination to your safe should NEVER be revealed to anyone. Wire transfers are old school rip-offs.
In the future use USPS Money Orders and do not release whatever you sold until the Postal Order has been cleared by your bank.
M

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes he got my account number and bank routing number,nothing different than what is on a personal check.The deposit was successful and i SPENT the money.My account is drained by my own doing lol.I will hold onto the bike for as long as it takes.It is in a garage of a friend and he doesnt mind at all.
Someone said NEVER do a bank wire transfer,well i researched it before i agreed to it.I went to my bank and they said it was safe and very very common.Billions of dollars are wired every day.He cannot get into my account,he does not have my password.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Yes he got my account number and bank routing number,nothing different than what is on a personal check.The deposit was successful and i SPENT the money.My account is drained by my own doing lol.I will hold onto the bike for as long as it takes.It is in a garage of a friend and he doesnt mind at all.
Someone said NEVER do a bank wire transfer,well i researched it before i agreed to it.I went to my bank and they said it was safe and very very common.Billions of dollars are wired every day.He cannot get into my account,he does not have my password.
I'm sure your fine then.....Good Luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
When I was looking for a wing I found one on-line that interested me, so I call the # and this guy feeds me this story about divorce and he is a business-man and doesn't have any spare time at all. I told him that I was coming to Texas and give him cash for the bike and needed a date/time for us to complete the transaction, suddenly he starts cursing me and telling me what a sorry ******* I am and he can't believe I disrespected him by not sending a money order instead and letting him ship the bike. What a idiot ... no way that was happening! I bought a local bike! Lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Be very, very careful, gurumods. This is a variation of a very common fraud. In its most common form, the perp wires or otherwise transfers money to you, acquires the item and then is able to retrieve their money. Go to your bank and explain the situation to them. I promise you they will have a person/dept who can advise you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well it's been 12 days now with NO response from the buyer.I have emailed 4 times and called and left message 4 times also.I have finished the new kitchen for my wife and installed most of the $2,000 of goldwing goodies.All $5,000 of the bike money is gone.The bike is in a dry safe garage and will stay there until he picks it up.It is just very very odd to me that i have not received a reply yet.

·
Registered
365 Posts
What everyone else said..caution is your best move here.

Also, when he does contact you..if someone else is picking up the bike..MAKE SURE you know who that is! Even take pictures of the person(s) AND the vehicle they use.

He may later say he has no idea who you gave the bike to..and he never got it & wants his money back!:eek: Just be careful..there are so many scams these days.

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Well it's been 12 days now with NO response from the buyer.I have emailed 4 times and called and left message 4 times also.I have finished the new kitchen for my wife and installed most of the $2,000 of goldwing goodies.All $5,000 of the bike money is gone.The bike is in a dry safe garage and will stay there until he picks it up.It is just very very odd to me that i have not received a reply yet.
It has to be George Bush's fault! :eek: :D

Im lost I dont know how long I would hang in there??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts