Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than in OD, what RPM will you run up to, without shifting up?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am a rider that prefers good fuel mileage, so I shift around 2,500 and cruise around 3,000

I do play at times but not that much

dd

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
i'll usually shift the 1500 wing between 1800 and 2200 rpm and 2500 - 3000 rpm if i'm riding the 1200 wing

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
Typically between 2500 & 3000. I usually save the high tach stuff for the Nighthawk. Gotta love a red line 10,000+.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If your going for fuel economy shift at 2000 RPM, normally I shift around 2500 RPM'S

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
I'm in the +2000 range. Depends on road and traffic conditions as to whether I can wind it out a little. Usually cruse on the super slabs at around 3000 for best mileage.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Never have looked at the tach. I'm surprised how often the rev limiter kicks in on more spirited rides.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I have no standard shift points, I go according to conditions and how I am feeling at the time. If I'm feeling leisurely, I'll short shift at around 2500-3000. If I'm in a sporting mood or want to exercise the bike a bit I'll take it well into the 5000 range and occasionally right up to red-line. Have never hit the rev limiter on the 1800. As I mentioned in aother post, these engines are meant to rev, so let the dogs out once in a while.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I usually shift gears at 2500 RPM and cruise the freeways at about 3000. If I want to push things, I get out the Norton.

·
Registered
835 Posts
That's the beauty (one of them) of a Wing. You can cruise through a town and not even down shift (cause I'm too lazy to take my feet off the cruising pegs). It still amazes me how low these things will rev and maintain an acceptable speed with no "chug". Gotta love it.
Strat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gearing

New GW rider. I have been getting a feel for the bike by riding a back road with lots of twisties. Speed limit is 20 MPH for 11 miles.
I average about 30-35 sometimes faster.
Bike seems to handle 30 -35 in fourth gear fine. Is this ok. or should I gear down. I am in Louisiana elevation 0 - 20'.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Ditto Fossil.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i just got my first gw a 1977 gl1000 is it just me or should there be another gear, to run 65 i have to run at close to 4k rpm. i feel like im reving the engine. another rider told me this was normal for the older bikes. i guess i just need to get used to it. what do yall think

1 - 14 of 14 Posts