Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And how do you plan your trips? Aside from the day to day rides to work, the store, and such, how do you plan your trips? Do you just head out the door and see where you'll end up, or do you pour over maps for hours? Do you use books, travel guides, or magazines for reference?

·
Super Moderator
12,286 Posts
I just go wherever the bike does.

Actually, I like to be prepared, try to have a route laid out before I go.

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
I do a little of both.
Day trips by myself? Sometimes I just head out and see where the road takes me.

When riding with others for a day trip more planning is required, usually a destination and stops along the way, I use mainly maps and preride the route.

When planning over night or multiple days trips, well this takes quite a bit of planning, route there, stops on the way for fuel, food etc. Where to stay overnight etc. What to do or see when we get there or what rides to take while we are in the area. These kinds of trips take a LOT of planning.

·
Premium Member
24,530 Posts
If I have my conscience (she's the one with the big blade remember) with me there's some serious planning involved: hotels, meals, maximum distances/saddle time, and of course where we're headed. If it's just me, there might be a firm destination and an arrival date, but beyond that it's not written in stone by any means. I'll always have a set date if not a specific time to arrive home though. If that doesn't work out exactly, there's always phone, text or e-mail. Long as it's not pouring and my gear gets wet, I have my tent so reservations and meals have no bearing on where I'm at or going.:D There's seldom a time where I don't spend at least one night in a hotel bed.

·
Premium Member
24,140 Posts
All of my " long trips " are usually planned with and by members on here. We set an approximate meeting time and a specific location. Beyond that, I never wonder for more than just a day ride. I have my usual haunts.

·
Premium Member
11,288 Posts
If it is a long trip. Plan, Plan, Plan.
What is the weather likely to be.
Is there any local event that we would like to see or advoid.
What is the history and what is there.
Geology is on top of the list.
What motorcycle ride are there.
Where can we get Gas and accommadation.
How long are our day's going to be. Do we need a pass.
A check list as to what goes on the bike.
The bike must look as good as you can make it look. We are leaving for a trip today. So last night the bike was fully serviced. Washed and polished. The engine was cleaned, under the bike was clean. The dash Armor oiled. Tires blackened. I hope I didn't forget something. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,177 Posts
long trips are mostly planned. some trips around my home state are just to scout for nice roads to travel so when i take lisa and the ladys riding they have a good time on the road traveling

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Depends on the time the wife has from work. We have left for a two day trip and return two weeks later. I normally just take a couple changes of clothes and my shaving kit when it is just me and come home whenever I get to missing home, most of the time it is spur of the moment trips for me.

·
Administrator
29,073 Posts
I don't stick to any route or plan at all.

·
Administrator
15,388 Posts
I'm a planner and spend lots of time looking at maps. Long trips are planned but I'm not afraid to change things if something looks interesting. Short trips are still heading to roads that look inviting on the map or to a destination. A lot of times I will take detours to catch another county on the map. I've been marking off counties on the map for lots of years now.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Long trips are planned according to weather outlook. Other than that if she leans left, turn left, if she leans right, turn right, if she does not lean STAND ON IT!! I10 is south of me, I65 is west of me. I75 is east of me and I 40 is north of me so I know I can get home!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ya know, this thread actually bummed me out a bit. I been on bikes since 15, had allll kinds. when I have one, I ride a lot as a commute and out and about. howerver, I have never taken more than a one nighter away...ever, and IM 52. how freakin sad is that. so I cant even answer the question. maybe next summer that will change.

·
Administrator
29,073 Posts
Ummmm........?
I was just checking to see if anyone was paying attention.:eek::eek::eek:

All joking aside, I've been known to do some organizing:rolleyes:, both day & mutiple day trips. Usually rely on paper maps not at all a lover of a GPS. I also have an idea where hotels are located as well as restaurants.

·
Administrator
29,073 Posts
Ya know, this thread actually bummed me out a bit. I been on bikes since 15, had allll kinds. when I have one, I ride a lot as a commute and out and about. howerver, I have never taken more than a one nighter away...ever, and IM 52. how freakin sad is that. so I cant even answer the question. maybe next summer that will change.
Don't be sad Bob, just do something about it. You're not that far from the Mason-Dixon & we typically get together up here a couple times a year.

·
Premium Member
24,530 Posts
Bob, it's not any big thing if you don't do the multi-night/day stayover rides, it's all about how the riding makes you feel. Very personal internal thing really. How we view what's important to us as individual riders is our own thing and nobody elses. Believe me, I get asked the same thing about martial arts, it's all very personal at some point. My views aren't somebody elses, and that's a good thing IMO

Some of us try not to pay too much attention to certain posts...
Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!:p

·
Premium Member
16,687 Posts
On our coast to coast trips. I have an idea which way I'm wanting to go after that it's pretty much a day to day thing. When we stop for the night, I lay out the next day route.

·
Administrator
15,388 Posts
That's what I thought. I'm an organizer too. But sometimes I find that great road on a map by studying it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.