Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
What I carry

Having lived and worked in the outback most of my life I carry a lot of things that you may think not necessary. What doesn't come off the bike is: a set of open ended ring spanners 8mm-15mm, screwdriver with 2 flathead and 2 philiphead. 1 pointy nosed plies. 1 electrical crimpers and joiners. 2 feet of electrical wire. 1 roll electrical tape. 1 circut tester. 8 cable ties. 3 air cylinders, rubber cement and plugs. First aid kit. Sun screen and bug spray. Some wire. 500mls of oil. 12 spare fuses. Home maded jump cable.1 plug spanner. 1 plug. When you know you will be in a remote location I carry water and baked beans. The bike cover comes because it doubles up as a ground sheet. That covers my emergencies. Eric

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Wow,
I am old school and like someone else said, "be prepared." And I am going to go get a couple of cable ties just because it sounds good.

In respect to the original question and why I started this, a member asked, "what do I really need" I don't have much space?"

I originally asked, what repairs would you do to identify what tools are really needed in your toolbox? With many voices, the amount of tools grows. So let me ask this another way to see if we can reduce it or ID the most common ones at least.

Instead of, "What do you think you need"?,
What tools have you actually used or needed?
I posted earlier that most times it was electrical and it is rare I ever used ANY tools as it was almost always a loose wire or sensor. I did lose a headlight on my Sabre at dusk and nearly caused a wreck as I didn't know it was out and a car pulled out as they didn't see me.

Not trying to talk anyone out of what they want. Individual experience, location and amount of other stuff stuffed in the bike all plays into the decision. But think back and list what did you actually need or use. This list may get smaller.

·
Premium Member
11,027 Posts
In the last year I have used: 3 fuses. I could find what was blowing them straight away. Tire repair, that is 3 cylinders of air, rubber cement and tire plug, 2 cable ties when the nut fell off the carrier to hold in place. The bike cover acting as a ground sheet. The bug spray and the sun screen.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Hey fossil,
Thanks for looking out for me. I had an upgraded AAA but after a breakdown last year, we found that for a small increase, $32 bucks, it now covers our camper and the bike. Yahoo.
On Sept. 2, I had all three on the side of the road. AAA had to find a tow truck for the truck but on arrival, the driver could not legally move the camper 1/2 mile to a truck stop. With no major cities within 100 miles and it being a holiday weekend, we could not find ANYONE to come and tow the camper at any price. Not easy to leave a camper on the side of the road 1/2 way to destination and knowing I wouldn't have a truck for days to go back and get it.

We looked later online and their information was a little confusing so Karen called them and sure enough, they did have this available. Next time it will be on them to call around and find a tow for any and all my toys. It also increased the distance from 100 to 200 miles they would pay to tow. (That was $3 / mile for 45 more miles last time). They also have to find you a tow no matter how far away they are from you.

I believe just a few tools can do many tasks and that gives me options but this does play into what I keep in my saddlebag and what I am willing to do on the side of the road.

BTW, I have no affiliation with AAA. I just happened along this info because I was sitting on the side of the road.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Very good insite from all of you -

·
Super Moderator
11,889 Posts
The standard Honda tool kit is more than enough tools for an emergency. The zip ties sound like a good idea.

Duct tape to help stop that pesky buzzing in your ears, when riding 2up. :D

·
Super Moderator
9,879 Posts
Cable ties also are good to fasten an adjustable wrench.
I know what Fossil says is true. I saw a picture of that on the internet.. Oh, yea, Fossil posted that pic.... So there, it must be true....:D

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
OK what gives Maestro!! Why are ya suddenly speechless??

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I have repaired a rear tire on the road years ago (replaced tube)...I might pick up a tubless tire repair kit and small compressor someday, that's about it. AMA Roadside Assistance for everything else.....

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Hey Oldtimer,

No need to apologize. There is no need to discuss this if we all think alike.

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
At the risk of invoking the wrath of Mr Murphy, I've only ever had an issue with the wiring on my first tent trailer..the grommets wore out on my through the frame wire harness and it was an absolute bear to chase down. Had a stator go out on a four day jaunt through BC once, but I had already installed the voltmeter and I noticed the drop real quick. The dealer in Kamloops got me rolling in a day (great folks they were) and I only missed a day's work (RATS!).

21 - 35 of 35 Posts