Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goldigger asked a good question regarding the need for tools. Seems that another question needs answering to help make that decision.

I seem to hear tire problems or electrical problems are the most common problems. (what do you think)?

For where I ride, and with AAA insurance (includes my bike), I am not very inclined to set on the side of the road to do dig very deep.

I would fix a tire or chase an electrical problem (for an hour or so maybe) but I can't think of much else. These are great bikess and not many mechanical problems.

So chime in,

What break downs have happened to you?
What kind of repairs would you perform if you had the tools on the side of the road?

and when we have a concensous, then what are the basics in your opionion?

·
Premium Member
23,749 Posts
On this bike , none yet. I would not even know where to start if it didn't start. I'm having a nervous break down myself just thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On this bike , none yet. I would not even know where to start if it didn't start. I'm having a nervous break down myself just thinking about it.
OKay........
Tool #1- one brown bag(doesn't take up hardly any space)..... and take deep breathes.

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
These are great bikes. The only problems I've ever had to deal with on the road were.
1. that blasted relay 3 problem that causes the lose of tail lights and gauges. If you need to you can swap out the compressor relay and get get back on the road or ride it home with out the tail light.
2. Been on trips when the alternator fail, once on my bike and twice on other riders bike. In one case we had a spare alternator along and done a road side swap. Another we swapped batteries to get the bikes home.
Minimal tools required. on the road. I do recommend a volt/ohm meter. in the tool kit.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,876 Posts
I would walk for gas if a station was in site. Otherwise, I want what I pay for. Bring the tow truck please....

·
Super Moderator
9,876 Posts
Oh, yea maybe something that could be fixed with duct tape I would tackle...

·
Premium Member
23,749 Posts
Hey! Where's fossil ? Just like Ron, he experienced a break down on his trip. We need to hear more from the unfortunate veterans who have been stuck on the side lanes.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
I can honestly say I have a good Wing and it has managed to have tiny problems. The timing belts have been changed, I had just got home from shopping when the alternator went south in my garage and the sad thing is my spare was in storage, nails in tires and necessary oil changes. Since I wasn't going to dig through storage to find the alternator, I just purchased a Compufire package. The rear shocks were replaced, as they were originals. The seat needs to be replaced. My Wing has never left me stranded.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
Like I said I have towed tools in my trucks and cars but have never broken down on the road because I like to do preventive maintenance before hand. The heads up on the relays is good info. Just tell me which ones go out and where they are located. Also, do I need a hose extension for pumping the tire back up after repairs?

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
A hose extension is a yes and a pack of fuses just in case. Tire plug kit for those pesky nails. Fuses/relays left hand side of bike near saddlebag & under side cover (painted cover with Goldwing on it).

·
Premium Member
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thinking back, not just the wing but riding over last 5 years:

bike wouldn't start (wiring connector loose at clutch)
bike wouldn't start (kick stand spring weak)
bike wouldn't start (bad battery)
bulb burned out on headlight (bike was 2 years old)
bike wouldn't start (repair shop turned off fuel switch)
bike died, ran out of gas (early spring on my Sabre) switch was on reserve from previous
ride at end of fall.

Not once have I or anyone I ride with needed tools. I still will keep the few I have now.

·
Premium Member
237 Posts
I have the plug kit, fuses and the few tools listed. Now, are all of the relays the same? If I purchase one, will it go for all of them? I also have one of those small "strobe" emergency lights.

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
Like I said I have towed tools in my trucks and cars but have never broken down on the road because I like to do preventive maintenance before hand. The heads up on the relays is good info. Just tell me which ones go out and where they are located. Also, do I need a hose extension for pumping the tire back up after repairs?

The relays are located on the left side behind the left side cover and to the rear of the fuse panel. The relay box cover can be a bear to get off. I remove the seat since I have an Road sofa and it set pretty low. Also loosen all the bolts holding the left saddle bag in place it will give the needed wiggle room to get the cover off or as I do I unbolt the box to get it out where I can mess with it easier. There should be a decale on relay box cover showing the relays, their use.
The only one of these relays I've had fail was relay 3.

Yes on the hose extension for putting air in the tires.

On flat repair I prefer the Stop and Go pocket tire plugger kit. It does a way better job then the one that uses the rubberized string looking stuff.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Super Moderator
9,876 Posts
I do carry a "slim tire inflator" and plugs just in case, but I don't know if I would attempt unless I was way out from civilation. If I couldn't inflate back up then it's time for the cell phone. (assuming there is coverage, which is a whole other matter)...

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
All the relays in the box are the same except for the ignition relay. I'll get you the part numbers off my spare tomorrow afternoon.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I keep a basic set of metric tools on the bike. Also a roll of Gorilla tape!! Knock on wood I have not had any real trouble on the road except for the rear caliper sticking. I need to increase my knowledge on the Old Wing . I have learned alot here!!!

·
Super Moderator
28,445 Posts
A very close & dear friend use to say "failing to plan is planning to fail." So I plan. Small tool kits, tire plug kits, air hose & such take up very little room when you need them. By the way most of you missed an all important. Cable Ties.

Be guided accordinly.

For where I ride, and with AAA insurance (includes my bike)
L2P, Do you know this for fact? The reason I say that is I too have AAA & when Little Lady & I went across Country I checked my policy & it specifically excluded Motorcycles. You may want to recheck.

·
Premium Member
23,749 Posts
A very close & dear friend use to say "failing to plan is planning to fail." So I plan. Small tool kits, tire plug kits, air hose & such take up very little room when you need them. By the way most of you missed an all important. Cable Ties.

What possible reason could one have to need cable ties ? I suppose you could break a shoe lace.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
They worked well on his Shifting lever!!!! Awesome way to improvise Fossil!!!

·
Super Moderator
28,445 Posts
What possible reason could one have to need cable ties ? I suppose you could break a shoe lace.
You obviously have never raced cars. Duct tape & cable ties will get you back on the track everytime. Cable ties also are good to fasten an adjustable wrench.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts