Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen, I have a 1978 Goldwing. There is a housing on the left rear of the engine that I always thought housed the alternator. I think I am wrong. In any case, the housing has a hole in the back of it that I believe should have some type of cover. It's 1.25 inches in diameter. I noticed it leaks a little oil out of the hole when running. I can't search for a replacement cover, or plug, because I don't know the name of part I'm trying to look up. Can anyone tell me what this housing contains so I can try to find the part I need?

The photo below is not my Goldwing. It's a photo I found online just for reference purposes.

Thanks,

gold wing left side.jpg

·
Super Moderator
28,145 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from AZ

So a quick search gave me an image that I believe you are correct house the alternator. I also included a place I use for OEM parts that maybe you can search through.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

This is what I believe you need, Number 4 on the image:

CAP, VALVE ADJ. 12361-300-000 (A little less expensive here.)

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the quick replies. I now know what to order. By the way, this is my Goldwing. Except for the seat, it's all original with 24,000 miles on it. (this photo was taken at my work when they had "bike day"! When my brother-in-law fell and became paralyzed in 2003, I bought it from him. He subsequently died from complications in 2005. I keep his initials (not visible in the photo) on the side of the front faring in his memory.

BTW, When this photo was taken, that plug is missing! Lol!

·
Super Moderator
11,505 Posts
Beautiful bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank you all for the quick replies. I now know what to order. By the way, this is my Goldwing. Except for the seat, it's all original with 24,000 miles on it. (this photo was taken at my work when they had "bike day"! When my brother-in-law fell and became paralyzed in 2003, I bought it from him. He subsequently died from complications in 2005. I keep his initials (not visible in the photo) on the side of the front faring in his memory.

BTW, When this photo was taken, that plug is missing! Lol!

View attachment 272506
LOL, looks like you leak yellow!! Hahaha.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I picked up a couple of those with the O-rings from PowersEdge. They carry a pretty good stock of the old OEM wingster stuff. Overtightening is fatal to them and it's troublesome to work the threaded remains out of the housing when you don't wish to do open surgery. Keeping a spare tucked away is a fine thought.
Like your wing too...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts