Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, decided to wash and shine the wing, and then go for a ride today, but looks like those plans got derailed. Got it all shined up, and went to check the air in the tires, and both valve stems stuck open! So here I sit with 2 flat tires, and not sure what to do. Any ideas?

·
Registered
75 Posts
well, decided to wash and shine the wing, and then go for a ride today, but looks like those plans got derailed. Got it all shined up, and went to check the air in the tires, and both valve stems stuck open! So here I sit with 2 flat tires, and not sure what to do. Any ideas?
Yeah,squirt some oil or WD40 in the valve stem and let it soak for a few minutes. Then air up the tire for a second and check to see if the stem is cleaned out and sealed,if not i would remove the core and get new ones.Be sure to put caps on them so this doesn't happen again.I have heard of this happening before from sea salt.Some people pack them with grease before putting the cap on.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Silly question, but can I just go to any parts store and get a valve stem? Or does the wing take something special.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Do you have Dyna Beads in your tires?

If so....make sure when you check your tire pressure you give it a quick shot of air to keep the beads from getting caught in the valve stem causing an air leak.

That's why I don't use dyna beads anymore.

Mark

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Do you have Dyna Beads in your tires?

If so....make sure when you check your tire pressure you give it a quick shot of air to keep the beads from getting caught in the valve stem causing an air leak.

That's why I don't use dyna beads anymore.

Mark
+1 on the beads. Quick squirt of air. Still using my beads. Talked with a couple of guys using them, it maybe the angle of the stem that allows the beads to get trapped there to start with. I have the 90 degree stems and have that issue some times. Never had it before installing the beads.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not sure about the Dyna Beads. How can I tell if it does or not. Have not had the bike all that long. Went and bought stem remover, and it came with 4 new stems. Tried them, and no luck yet.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Do you see any wheel weights on the rims. ??? If not there is a chance you have the beads in the tires

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I have them holding air, but I think the rear stem is still ucked up. But it is holding air. Is it possible when you screw the stem in, to screw it too far? It acts like I went too far, and now it is in past the threads. I cant reach it with the tool, to get it back out now. I found out I do have the Dyna Beads. When I went to the parts store, I was looking at the old stem, and a couple of little white balls fell out of the stem.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
The best way to avoid an issue if you leave the beads in, is to give the stems a quick short squirt of air before checking the pressure, it blows the beads back into the tire, where when you check the pressure first if there are any beads up in the stem they get forced into core by the air in the tire.
Don't want to be checking the pressure unless you got a compressor handy

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
It's common for the stems to fail around the rim/seat area. Replace the stems and use the metal valve wrench style caps. Not pretty but they come in very handy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts