Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 Goldwing. In 1990, they came out with the SE and the year after that, the Interstate and the Aspencade.

Parts for Wings made from 1991 on seem to be much more numerous than for 1989. Plus, some parts fit an SE but not an Apsencade or somoe other combination.

My question is what model GW (SE, Aspen, Inter) matches my 1989 GW?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Looking at this info from Steve Saunders website it looks like the 1989 had no "official" name. Looks like the names were assigned later in the production run..

1990 saw some decent revisions, when the GL1500SE was placed alongside the GL1500. The SE had two-tone paint, trunk spoiler/light, windscreen vent, lighted handlebar switches, adjustable passenger footboards and foot warmer vents that looked better than they worked. All this extra kit on the SE could be yours for about 15% extra cash over the cost of the stock GL1500. Camshaft and carburettor modifications that year helped to eliminate chucking at trundling speed and the trunk and pannier lids were made to fit better in order to keep water out. Rear wheel to drive flange changed from 6 spigots to 5.
1991 saw the arrival of the Interstate, which was now the basic model. The Interstate was 40lbs lighter, due to the lack of reverse gear (no, you couldn't fit one later on folks), cruise control and on-board air suspension compressor, more basic sound system and passenger footpegs instead of boards. Interestingly, Honda lowered the seat height of the Interstate by almost an inch by skimming some of the foam, but didn't do so with the other models. Speaking of other models, the previous GL1500 was now the Aspencade. There was also an Anniversary model (for the 10th anniversary of Goldwing production in the USA), which was available in two-tone gold/brown.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts