Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get a trailer next year to carry my camping gear. I'm looking at the Bushtec Turbo 2. I like the pin hitch and the suspension. When you drop it there is no bounce. Seems like a good saftey feature. I don't need a trailer bouncing behind me. 16 inch wheels with run flat tires. And the price without any add on's is good. Any opinions and what do you pull? I have till next year so I'll be gathering as much info as I need to make the right choise. Maybe find a used one but they seem hard to find.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you are looking for a very basic trailer, I have found the Aluma to be durable and easy to pull. I have pulled mine for 7 years with my Ultra Classic. There are some good pictures on line of my wife and me pulling it through the Tale of the Dragon on the Ultra, no problems what-so-ever, pretty much did not know it was there. I am going to pull an Aluma on the new Wing; just as soon as someone makes a hitch for the 2012.

WeldNut

·
Registered
145 Posts
http://aerobourne.com/motorcycletrailerindex9.htm

the above link is to all the trailer manufactures for motorcycles.
I researched on it before buying my trailer.

I bought a Fibro Concept out of Canada. Before purchasing it I spoke to Escapade, Bushtec, Kompac, Hannigan and many others. I chose Fibro Concept because of the quality, the basic trailer included what the others offered as add on options, and because they spent the most time with me explaining how it was designed and built. Also it has the most lighting and the lights are LED and big and has side marker lights. At night it is extremely visible. You can see the lights and turn signals during the day with no problem.

It pulls great is light and has large radial tires as standard. The other manufactures told me there are no radial tires for trailers. Interesting since I have them on my trailer. (it includes a bias spare). It was delivered to my front door, they put it in my garage. I had to install the wheels and an optional lighted spoiler I bought, all prewired. (it was loose because of crateing limitaltions).

I am very pleased with the trailer and it met all my expectations and it was everything Fibro Concepts said it would be. No surprises or disappointments. My suggestion is to use the link to research and make some phone calls. I made a bunch. I did a spread sheet to keep tract of the comparisons. (I'm anal that way) Good luck, have fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thanks for the link ptwingmn. That should keep me busy and informed.
you are welcome. some of the sites don't open. Not sure why, I guess you could google them. Some may be out of business.

I narrowed my decision down to: Fibro Concept, Bushtec, Escapade, Trekker, Hannigan and Turtle Hull. As I said, I chose Fibro Concept.

I have over 15,000 miles on it so far, no problems or issuse. I don't always pull it on every trip. I repack the wheel bearing before every major trip. We are getting ready of one in July.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just bought a Hannigan. I think it looks really nice and compliments the Wing very well. I got it off of Ebay and felt like I was very fortunate because as you say, used trailers are rare.

I am leaving on a big three week trip in July, but I have pulled it on shorter distances, and like John mentioned, you hardly know it's behind you.

Mine also has radial tires and I think they were added by the previous owner.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought a used 2000 model Bushtec Turbo 2 in March this year - very pleased with the trailer. Have about 5,000 miles on it already. Lots of fun - no input to the bike, other than need a little more room to start/stop. I especially like the pin hitch. I have gotten frequent comments from folks behind me that the trailers just sits there nice and level while my wife and I are carving it up.
I'm also running Traxxion Mega Monte, Ecsta Run Flat CT, Centramatics, and Russell Day long saddle - the combination is superb for running days on end two-up pulling loaded trailer.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
http://aerobourne.com/motorcycletrailerindex9.htm

the above link is to all the trailer manufactures for motorcycles.
I researched on it before buying my trailer.

I bought a Fibro Concept out of Canada. Before purchasing it I spoke to Escapade, Bushtec, Kompac, Hannigan and many others. I chose Fibro Concept because of the quality, the basic trailer included what the others offered as add on options, and because they spent the most time with me explaining how it was designed and built. Also it has the most lighting and the lights are LED and big and has side marker lights. At night it is extremely visible. You can see the lights and turn signals during the day with no problem.

It pulls great is light and has large radial tires as standard. The other manufactures told me there are no radial tires for trailers. Interesting since I have them on my trailer. (it includes a bias spare). It was delivered to my front door, they put it in my garage. I had to install the wheels and an optional lighted spoiler I bought, all prewired. (it was loose because of crateing limitaltions).

I am very pleased with the trailer and it met all my expectations and it was everything Fibro Concepts said it would be. No surprises or disappointments. My suggestion is to use the link to research and make some phone calls. I made a bunch. I did a spread sheet to keep tract of the comparisons. (I'm anal that way) Good luck, have fun.
Question: With the wheels at the back of the trailer, what kind of tongue weight do you have, when loaded?????????????

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I have an 87 Spirit. I pulled it on a 3,000 mile trip this spring and it performed well. All my camping gear and then some when into it which left my saddlebags for a couple of personal bags and the rear trunk for our helmets and stuff. It made camping worth doing off of the bike. Without the camping creature comforts, I doubt I would have done the trip camping. (We did half camping half motel as it was very cold the 1st week of April in Nevada, Arizona, Oregon and Utah.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Question: With the wheels at the back of the trailer, what kind of tongue weight do you have, when loaded?????????????
It is decieving. The wheels are back but inside you can put most of the heavy things on the wheels and behind them. Thats how I load it and I put the lighter things foward of the wheels. It is very spacious inside.:)

Empty the tongue weight is 12 lbs. Loaded the way I load it the tongue weight is between 17-18 lbs. It is light and pulls great. I have loaded it with about 200 lbs of luggage and camping gear but that is not typical for me. Usually I have a lot of room left inside. I always have an insulated cooler in it along with our luggage etc.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
It is decieving. The wheels are back but inside you can put most of the heavy things on the wheels and behind them. Thats how I load it and I put the lighter things foward of the wheels. It is very spacious inside.:)

Empty the tongue weight is 12 lbs. Loaded the way I load it the tongue weight is between 17-18 lbs. It is light and pulls great. I have loaded it with about 200 lbs of luggage and camping gear but that is not typical for me. Usually I have a lot of room left inside. I always have an insulated cooler in it along with our luggage etc.
Thank you, gotta look at one of those!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a bushtec roadstar for my '04 Wing. I absolutely LOVE it. Just finished a 430 mile weekend trip that had some really bad roads, never once felt the trailer. Did some weaving and quick moves and the trailer just follows and you don't feel it. Quality is superb. I think they are worth every penny. Love the hitch, and the room inside. You can't go wrong with a Bushtec.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I pulled a Tiny Mite with both the 1200 and 1500. Tent trailer, and I don't think they make them anymore. Pulled great and lots of room though. We were self sufficient for about 3 days when loaded up with grub and such. There was an add-a-room available, but we never needed one.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm sold on the Turbo 2. I like the hitch and that it does not bounce. 16 inch wheels don't spin as fast as 8 or 12 so another good point. It should serve my purpose well. Thanks for all the replys.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Aluma would be my choice

We currently pull an older Cyclemate 2000. It is a very good trailer...don't even know it is back there.

That being said, if I were to buy one now I would get the Aluma. A friend has one...it looks good...it pulls well...it is VERY sturdy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts