Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been riding for alot of years. since WAY back in the 70s. whether it was a friends bike in his back yard, or my bike, just around the block, i was on two wheels cruising. and as i rode and met new people in my life, i have noticed there are alot of RIDERS out there with alot of different opinions on what a GOOD RIDE/PUTT, really is! for me a good PUTT, is not having a destination per say! i like to hit the starter button, light up a smoke, turn on bluesville on XM, or hit the CD button, and let out the clutch. then head for the back roads. i like to stay off the expressways, unless i do have a destination. keeping the speed in the 50s / 60s, and just putt along, listening to the blues, smoking a cigarette, and playing my air guitar! i love waiving to people in the small towns, as i cruise by them, sitting out on their porches. i have no need for speed, and no need to drag any hard parts going around twisties. my gear is blue jeans and boots, and a muscle shirt or tee shirt. oh and sun block!!!!! lotta sunblock! i like to spend a whole day, just riding around the back roads out east of where i live. (ohio).........rt 41, both ways, shawnee forest, jackson, athens, rt 50, all those are fine puttin roads. so how bout you all? whats your kind of riding, that puts you in THAT MENTAL ZONE that just makes you think, WOW, NOW THAT WAS A PUTT? yall keep on winginit rick

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
Nice post, it even had a picture,
When I get to ride I normally warm up the Wing and same as you get that smoke in. Then I take off, my most fondest rides are the ones like you describe when I have no where to be.
When I have time to take it all in. But normally no matter where I go or what direction I go, l get to swerve,skid panic stop avoiding snowbirds or drunks trying to get to my destination which is normally Work. Once I go to a ride to nowhere it takes about 1/2 hour to get away from all the traffic and craziness and then I just start to get to enjoy the ride and the splat, splat. Splat the sound of millions of bugs covering my once beautiful Wing then after about a half hour of that the bugs clear up and it's all worth it the scenery starts to change
Slightly and bam before I know it I am having a great time and I almost forget where I live and what I do for a living. That's about the time my Wife hints that she want to head back to reality.bummer,

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
Been riding since I was a teen. Used to do it all in the dirt, bashing my brains & body apart. Took the obligiatory time off while the kids were growing up. When we got back to riding switched to the street.

My favorite riding of all time is when My little lady & I were alone on the Wing just the two of us. Typically we would always find some destination to ride to or for. Alas my riding buddy can't go anymore.:(

So riding has changed to commute, the occasional Breakfast ride with some of my GWOF buddies & when the mood/schedule strikes me.

Now my favorite riding is when I have no schedule to adhere to, & I just on the spur of the moment pick a direction to go.

Nice Question Rick.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
I sware Rick...your description might make a good country song.
I am versatile...sometimes I love a scenic ride through the country. Sometimes I like to jump on a slab and knock out a 1000 miles in a day. Sometimes I love to find a road that turns and twist....I don't have a need for speed nor do I want to drag my knee. I get a thrill just riding to the store. Very seldom does the ride not cure my ills.
Thanks for question....smoke em if you got em.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
I enjoy Long Distance tour riding and short local stuff also.

My Bride of 48 years is my favorite riding Buddy. I do enjoy my rides with the local GWRRA crew and the Geezer Gang is a fun bunch to ride with.

Enjoy the twisties but not into dragging parts.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
I'm with Ron on long distance tour riding and I too enjoy local riding to meet up with others for breakfast or lunch or just riding to town to do errands. If I run to town to pickup a Sunday paper it's always the long way around the lake so I can hit the twisties. I also use my bike sometimes in my business to do construction bids. On my previous Maxi Scooter, a Burgman 650 I carried a telescoping ladder on the rear of the seat and luggage rack for doing Home Inspections. When I get my trailer assembled, I'll use the Wing for Home Inspections and carry my fold-up extension ladder. For me, any excuse or opportunity to ride the Wing is why I put 12k on my bikes yearly. When it cools down in the Fall in Texas, I'll start doing some moto-camping. I have an Old Town Pack 12' solo canoe which weighs 33 pounds as I might do a tongue extension on my trailer and use the Wing for trailering it to the mountain lakes in Arkansas where I camp and paddle in the winter. Next summer I hope to ride to Nova Scotia with Will on a 5000 mile motorcycle tour.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow, thanks for all the replies. like i said, alot if different opinions on what a good putt really is. now me? there is no way i could use my wing to haul ladders and or use it on construction sites! but, like i said, different strokes.
hahahahahahaahhaha, COUNTRY SONG, AAAAHHHHHH, lol! maybe a good BLUES SONG!!!!! just kiddin man!!!! but thanks for the compliment!
we go to florida every year on vacation, to ORMOND BEACH, not on our bikes, though. we drive the cage, so we can make it in a day. couldnt do that on the bikes. i see what you mean about the snowbirds, (aint got a clue do they)? but the bugs? weve been all over ormond and daytona, and rt 40, rt 50 there, etc, have never ran into bugs. now the NOSEEUMS!!!!, SEEMENOTS, yea weve got
the business end of those guys!!!!! hahahahahaghagha,
camping? what the heck is that? lol......my idea of camping is the HAMPTON INN!!!!! sleeping on the ground, in a tent, with mosquitoes? eeewwwww!!!!!!! hahahahahahahaha, not for me man! DIFFERENT STROKES!
so yea, keep them comming! good answers! yall keep on winginit rick

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
my favorite riding is along lake huron and the citys of algonac, harsens island, port huron, port sanilac, huron city, and port austin. with a stop at lake port state park but i can slab it with the best of them if i need to and i'm comfortable on the dirt roads in my area that i need to travel on

·
Registered
296 Posts
Been riding since 1957. Rode just about daily during the "other than winter" days in Michigan. Then moved to Texas and ride just about every day all year. I have ridden the slaps, texas to Michigan, to Niagra Falls to Niagra on the Lake to Port Huron to Upper Peninsula and around down through Minnesota, and back to Texas. Texas to Washington DC, down the "Skyway" and the Blue Ridge parkway full length, into Florida then around the Gulf and back to Texas. To name a couple of my "slab rides". Being I am coming on to 72 in Nov, I have slowed down somewhat. Now, It is daily, to the grocery store, to see my Dad, 80 to 100 mile rides to the surrounding cities for a meal, riding with our trike group a little bit.
But probably my most pleasurable now, is my one or two hour rides from my home around the back county roads at 40-60 mph depending on which road. I love to just go, look and see the country, and feel the pleasure of my bike. Thankfully, I have never lost that feeling. When younger it was late night rides for this pleasure, but can't see that well at night anymore, so it is now a day time pleasure. Whatever, riding is for all, no matter what your style. Love it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Been riding since 1957. Rode just about daily during the "other than winter" days in Michigan. Then moved to Texas and ride just about every day all year. I have ridden the slaps, texas to Michigan, to Niagra Falls to Niagra on the Lake to Port Huron to Upper Peninsula and around down through Minnesota, and back to Texas. Texas to Washington DC, down the "Skyway" and the Blue Ridge parkway full length, into Florida then around the Gulf and back to Texas. To name a couple of my "slab rides". Being I am coming on to 72 in Nov, I have slowed down somewhat. Now, It is daily, to the grocery store, to see my Dad, 80 to 100 mile rides to the surrounding cities for a meal, riding with our trike group a little bit.
But probably my most pleasurable now, is my one or two hour rides from my home around the back county roads at 40-60 mph depending on which road. I love to just go, look and see the country, and feel the pleasure of my bike. Thankfully, I have never lost that feeling. When younger it was late night rides for this pleasure, but can't see that well at night anymore, so it is now a day time pleasure. Whatever, riding is for all, no matter what your style. Love it.
WOW! you are 72 and still riding to see your dad?!!! man o man!!! im 62, and have slowed way down more than you have! looks like there is life after 60! im going to have to step it up some. thanks for the push in the!!!! hahahahahahah and wow, you have seen the country too. (i cant find the smilie thats the bowing and praise) yall keep on winginit rick

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
you could ride over to boardman on the 21st rick to meet the hoon, we'll be staying at the days inn. that should be a nice little ride for you. i'm also trying to see if nohandles can make it to boardman. he's just east of cleveland. have you been down to old mans cave in hocking hills

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you could ride over to boardman on the 21st rick to meet the hoon, we'll be staying at the days inn. that should be a nice little ride for you. i'm also trying to see if nohandles can make it to boardman. he's just east of cleveland. have you been down to old mans cave in hocking hills
oh yea, we have been all over in that neck of the woods. hocking hills is a very beautiful area. but we are both very claustrophobic, so we try very hard not to go INSIDE anything like a cave!!!!! way out there in ZALESKI is another real nice state park, that has a lot to see.
but boardman? dont know boardman. is that in ohio? one of these weekends, when we have some xtra $$$, were going to go out 32 east, to where it turns into rt50, and follow that to the edge of WV. then hop on rt 7, and take it up to STUPIDVILLE (LOL) STUBENVILLE, then bring 22/3 back home. i think that would be a real nice putt! yall, keep on winginit rick

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
boardman is over by youngstown. funny we call stubenville stupidville also :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have been riding most of my life, mostly trail bikes. just got into cruising about 5 yrs ago when i got my first wing. I love the twisties and ride 2 up most of the time. being self employed from home i can ride most anytime. I choose to do most of my rides on weekdays less A-holes on the road. I ride they way i live, shorts, tank top, hiking boots, and a do-rag with a skull cap. oh yea always wear safety glasses.my bike don't have a radio so i wear ear buds and a mp3 player for highway rides, most of the time i would rather hear the road. i'm not a aggressive rider but do scrape the boards from time to time, usually get a head slap from the wife, she usually medicates before we hit the twisties. i don't like highways, i would rather be doing 45 in good twisties than doing 75 on highways. i try to find back roads to get me where i want, it may take longer but i enjoy the ride way more. I try to have a idea of where i want to go, mostly cause i have exhausted all local day ride routes. where we live we can go up or down i hate to ride in the valley it's just to hot n ugly. with the garden and animals were kinda stuck to day rides. we have to make arrangement's for longer rides. but riding helps the marriage thats why my bike is named the councilor. i plan to ride as long as i can if i need to i will get trike when the time comes, 43yrs old hope thats not any time soon

·
Administrator
15,312 Posts
I got this wing to see the country. I like to visit new places and on the bike is the best way for me. I'll hit the interstate to get away from here quick but like the back roads better to see the country. If I'm going somewhere I like to take a different route back to make it a loop ride. Local rides around home are like that, loops with mostly back roads all day. Especially like the state roads with three numbers and roads on the map without numbers. I ride to work in downtown Jackson every day I can and that helps that commute to go better for the mind. Some days I take the long way home if it's nice. On days when work takes me to some of the National Forest offices around the state I leave strait from the house on the bike to get there. Just about any destination is better on a bike. The other replies you've gotten seem about the same which doesn't surprise me, I'm betting we all hare are more alike than different.

·
Registered
296 Posts
WOW! you are 72 and still riding to see your dad?!!! man o man!!! im 62, and have slowed way down more than you have! looks like there is life after 60! im going to have to step it up some. thanks for the push in the!!!! hahahahahahah and wow, you have seen the country too. (i cant find the smilie thats the bowing and praise) yall keep on winginit rick
Thanks for the nice words winginit. Yep, 72 in Nov, Dad is 91. It is just a 45 min ride over there and 1-2 hours returning. Did trike out the wing, as the wife refused to ride with me on two wheels. (Can't understand that???). But will ride til I can't get my leg over it anymore.

See ya on the road one day.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
I've always enjoyed traveling, and being on a bike just enhances the experience. I love the smells, the unobstructed view, the raw power of a fine machine. Seeing the country. Meeting new people. Just makes things a bit more real for me. I love it and ride every chance I get, whether its running errands across town, or a multiday trip to the mountains. I waited until the kids were grown to start, but have no intentions of slowing down anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
As long as there's a road in front of me I'm good to go. Short, long, doesn't matter really. Mountain vistas are nice, but the prairies and boreal areas have their own appeal as well. I can hustle throught the twisties or just saunter along enjoying the ride. No fun following livestock caravans though:eek:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks for all the replies. i didnt think i would get half this many. we havent been riding anywhere near as much as we wanted to this summer. when we got home from vacation this summer, there were two trees laying on our porch roof and all over the front yard. left from a couple of bad wind storms that went through here, while we were on vaca! so weve been cutting and raking and burning instead of riding!!! sucks. but hey, thanks yall! for all your posts!!! yall keep on winginit rick

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
I like short burst rides during the week , what I consider power rides. For my age any recent riding years it's not how much but how often.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.