Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regarding safety with respect to IB marathon rides perhaps it bears noting that those who are accomplished at this sport are in good physical condition like Lee and Ref. This reminds me of older guys that get the itch to ride again and buy a bike much too large and crash on the way home from the dealership.

Perhaps if folks feel the inclination to compete in an IBA ride that they build up to it just like one training for a 26 mile marathon. It takes many months of training to be in condition to do a marathon so perhaps those that want to try out an IB, that they work up to it in a training mode. You may also notice Lee and Ref are not overweight as one needs to be in good physical condition and not be lugging around extra weight. That causes fatigue so therefore if one wants to do IB rides they need to be of normal weight. An IB rider is an athlete and as such need to work out and exercise to have the stamina and mental conditioning to toughen up and make the grade. Perhaps before folks jump on the bandwagon and sign-up to do an IB ride they ought to ask themselves if they are mentally and physically fit to safely compete?

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
You are correct Dan. I remember when I was racing & I did about 50 laps at Nazareth Speedway in 90* heat running probably about 120 mph avg on a 1 mile circuit. I came in to the pits got out of the car, downed a gatorade, hung up a soaking wet driver's suit & told my brothers "You know I'm not much of a Nascar fan but I just got a whole lot of respect for those guys right now. To do what they do for 500 laps is amazing."

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
You are correct Dan. I remember when I was racing & I did about 50 laps at Nazareth Speedway in 90* heat running probably about 120 mph avg on a 1 mile circuit. I came in to the pits got out of the car, downed a gatorade, hung up a soaking wet driver's suit & told my brothers "You know I'm not much of a Nascar fan but I just got a whole lot of respect for those guys right now. To do what they do for 500 laps is amazing."
+1 on that. I don't know how anyone can race any endurance race. They are some of the most fit athlete around.
Now this is just me, I like reading about IB rides and tours. But I have no intention of doing one. The CAT type of rides is my style and I have a lot of fun doing them.
Eric

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
+1 on that. I don't know how anyone can race any endurance race. They are some of the most fit athlete around.
Now this is just me, I like reading about IB rides and tours. But I have no intention of doing one. The CAT type of rides is my style and I have a lot of fun doing them.
Eric
I do not either Eric. Can you imagine in the Old days they used to do Lemans & the 24hr Daytona with only 2 drivers,:eek:

You want to talk about hardcore.

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
i've thought about doing an iba but changed my mind. maybe if i rode my iba route in stages to see what the roads are like before making the actual iba attempt but right now the weather is too hot and dehydration would be my biggest problem so cat and hat tours for me

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Regarding safety with respect to IB marathon rides perhaps it bears noting that those who are accomplished at this sport are in good physical condition like Lee and Ref. This reminds me of older guys that get the itch to ride again and buy a bike much too large and crash on the way home from the dealership.

Perhaps if folks feel the inclination to compete in an IBA ride that they build up to it just like one training for a 26 mile marathon. It takes many months of training to be in condition to do a marathon so perhaps those that want to try out an IB, that they work up to it in a training mode. You may also notice Lee and Ref are not overweight as one needs to be in good physical condition and not be lugging around extra weight. That causes fatigue so therefore if one wants to do IB rides they need to be of normal weight. An IB rider is an athlete and as such need to work out and exercise to have the stamina and mental conditioning to toughen up and make the grade. Perhaps before folks jump on the bandwagon and sign-up to do an IB ride they ought to ask themselves if they are mentally and physically fit to safely compete?
Hey... are you talking about me.... ok, I am balding, old and fat... so it applies.

I have done back to back 600 mile days and it was a killer for me. I couldn't do much but rest the day after.

Last year, I logged 20,000 miles and but it was in 365! I hope I can get the soft patch, or is that why Eric sent me the CAT hat?

It is as different as summiting Mt. Rainier vs Mt. Everest. Those that go, know it and prepare for it and there are still quite a few bodies on Mt. Everest.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Larry with all due respect I think you are missing the point of what these people try to accomplish.

Hey I hear you about taking your time & stopping to smell the roses. Heck it took the Little Lady & I took 29 days to go 9K+ and see this Great Country of ours. But that's not what these guys are doing.

It's like Apples & Oranges. Big Difference!

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
I have been reading some posts at the LD Riders website and found it interesting. In discussion of the loss of Curt.... a fellow member had this to say:

"This s*** is getting old. Three riders I know, friends, who I had the honor of riding with in the 2007 IBR have been lost in the last year. I'm in a bit of a state of shock, here. And can't even begin to imagine the pain Cindy, his wife of less than a year, is going through right now. May God see her through this. Those of that are of the persuasion, pray for her. Pray hard. And donate some funds to make things a little easier.

Trigger mentions the wind and it's pretty much a confirmed fact that DPK rode into a super cell thunderstorm during last years 1088. I know the rallies are not to blame, but let's be honest here; when your competing (and if you're rallying, you have a competitive spirit in you), there is a temptation to keep pushing even when the little voice in your head says it's not a good idea. I'm not saying Curt did it in this situation, but I've done it and others on this list have. Remember there can be a price to pay for that decision.

A very long time LD rider and rally master used to make the following statement during his rider meetings "This rally is not worth dying over." I'm going to try very, very hard to listen to that little voice the next time my ego tries to convince me otherwise.
"

Quoted BIODSL @

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=146380

Yeah & you can slip & fall in the bathtub tonight & break your neck. Listen Larry it's obvious you don't like this stuff but you know what lots of people like different Ice Cream too. Doesn't make it wrong.

The men that do this know what they are getting into. I'm reminded of racing at this point. I am married with 2 kids & when I strapped myself into my car EVERYTIME I knew that I might be in an accident that may have taken my life. I knew that, I chose to take those risks. I also knowingly took those same risks when I sat on the back of not 1 but 3 850 -1150 lb Bulls several months ago.

There are many things in life that bring us intrigue & for the men & I'm sure there may be some women that choose to ride extreme rides I an Ole Fossil take off my hat to them.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This discussion reminds me of the lectures I get from folks about riding motorcycles. Those who don't ride fear monger those who do. We've all been on the receiving end of that and it's impossible to share your vision of why you ride with someone who doesn't get it. The same is true of IB LD riders. Those who love the sport can't give you their vision because everyone has their own. Those that don't love and respect the sport can't appreciate what draws others just like motorcycling in general. Motorcycling is a dangerous sport and IB LD riding is dangerous too and what it comes down to for those who enjoy these sports is risk management. What are your capabilities? Speaking to the subject of discussion, do you have what it takes to cut the mustard and if you don't, take inventory and admit the truth and back away. If you're one who thinks that with some training you might like to do this sport then look at it like an athlete would and get yourself in the best shape possible and practice LD rides to toughen up. I think Larry is concerned that newbies are going to want to prove their manhood and get a notch in their belt for bragging rites who probably have no business doing so. Dangerous sports is all about risk management and for those who participate, reducing ones risks such as wearing ATGATT, physical conditioning and training are imperative.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
I think Larry is concerned that newbies are going to want to prove their manhood and get a notch in their belt for bragging rites who probably have no business doing so. Dangerous sports is all about risk management and for those who participate, reducing ones risks such as wearing ATGATT, physical conditioning and training are imperative.
Dan, you have a good way with words. You are exactly right.

I worry about people getting involved with things without doing the study. Obviously guys who are involved with this sport are not bothering reading my posts pertaining to it. And if they did, they probably would agree as the post I quoted above.

I have been riding motorcycles for 40 years. I have watched the emergence of this "sport" with concern for the people who get involved who shouldn't. This is quite a bit more than the risk of riding motorcycles.

I admire the guys who can do amazing things. I have a long list of those heroes. Greg LeMond immediately comes to mind.

There is a difference between getting into the bathtub rather than diving in head first. This is unsafe.

I take no issue with whom ever decides to do it.

I ride my own ride. They can ride their own too. But as a forum member, a GWRRA member and a at large member of the motorcycling community, I want to promote safe motorcycling habits and this is not one of them.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Larry this is how i feel , if people want to do stuff like this its their business

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Larry this is how i feel , if people want to do stuff like this its their business
Gordo, I feel the same way, (And I am even planning on doing at least one IB ride, and probably more) But having said that............ We do need to know our limits, and if you are starting to feel fatigued, you should stop and rest. If you dont, you are not only risking your own life, but everyone else who is on the road.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Post #4. I made this statement:

I hope my post is not taken as anything other than a serious safety warning and heads up to anyone who is considering this endurance test.

Post #14. I made this statement:

I ride my own ride. They can ride their own too. .... I want to promote safe motorcycling habits.

This is my last post on the particular thread and subject matter.

Those that know me personally, know that I am not a witch burner nor am I a party popper. You want to drink, drug, smoke cigarettes, chase wild women and do wheelies. Go ahead. I once rode my Harley right into a bar full of people in downtown Brookings, SD. (found out that is illegal)

I am not trying to be antagonist towards anyone who chooses to do this endeavor. I highly disapprove of it and have spoken my mind about this. Ride your own ride.

I am passionate about motorcycling. No doubt about it. Someone mentions something about something, and if I am ignorant of it, I will do diligence and research it. I will form an opinion and share that opinion. Ask me how I feel about Chinese scooters or Zoom Splat motorcycles.

That is what my posting is about. I researched the subject and I shared with the members of this forum what I found.

Yes, I have an opinion about the endeavor. I think anyone who does this, is not taking all of the risks in mind.... (some call this stupid thinking) I might agree with that, but in no sense of the word am I calling anyone stupid for doing this.

Now I am done researching this subject. But something else came to mind regarding this endeavor that is food for thought:

INSURANCE: If this endeavor is illegal, what happens if you run your 2010 Wing off the road and cause yourself 10,000 in damages to your bike? Can your insurance deny the claim based on the fact that you are doing something illegal? Further down that line of thought..... if your insurance company sees that you earned a 1K in 24 hours certificate..... would they be interested in seeing you do more of that, or would they send you a cancellation notice? I have an idea what they would do.

Since I am not going to pursue this endeavor, I am not going to research the insurance portion. I might suggest that anyone who considers this, do so.

I ask just one question in regards to the legality of this endeavor: Should the GWOF promote something that is illegal? Since I don't have a dog in that fight, I will refrain from any further research in that line of thinking. Just food for thought.

Again, I came to this forum to share my Goldwing experience, my thoughts and my goals as it pertains to motorcycling, specifically on the Goldwing.

If I urinated on your parade plans or made you feel uncomfortable, then I am sorry for doing so.

I did the same type of research when I first entertained the thought of putting a car tire on the back of my Goldwing. Have I ever mentioned that I did?

My conclusion: If I convince one person to reconsider and not do this, then I felt all of my efforts were worth it.

Over and Out.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
I absolutely agree with you. I don't want to inhibit your pleasures in any way whatsoever.

Even in 10 in 10 thread, I wished and prayed that that there is good weather and safe conditions.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For the sake of civility may I respectfully request now that this thread be locked by the moderators. Thank you all for your participation.

Dan Bowman

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I find it interesting how some folks find the IBA challenges to be overly dangerous. Yet they will ride without a helmet.....If we stack statistics, I am pretty certain there are many more deaths due to riding without a helmet than participating in an IBA ride. Just a thought.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.