Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Climate here is changing and so are my thoughts about ATGATT (all the gear all the time). Not preaching here just saying my thoughts have changed this year and have been looking for some gear.

Wondering what others have found that they like very much and explain why.

I bought a tourmaster 3 weather jacket couple of weeks ago. Trying to get use to wearing armor even in warm weather. So far so good. It has been comfortable but haven't tried in cold weather yet. Don't know how cold is too cold for it.

Also been looking for a low profile shoe (to get under the shifter) Bought Frank Thomas Urban Stunt boots and like them too.
Light
waterproof
comfortable
amor at angle bone and toes
and low profile

I have antifreeze liner gloves and neck warmer they are terrific.

What you got?

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
My favorite gear is 5th. ( Sorry, it's late and I had a wonderful long ride day. I'll go to bed now.) I think I'm punch-drunk.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
My favorite gear is 5th. ( Sorry, it's late and I had a wonderful long ride day. I'll go to bed now.) I think I'm punch-drunk.
Your a sick puppy.. LOL... You beat me to the punch.. I was going to say 3rd because you can drive around town all day and not shift... I guess that makes me a sick puppy too. Glad you had a good day to ride.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

I want a second opinion and you have lost your second opinion priviliges.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Your a sick puppy.. LOL... You beat me to the punch.. I was going to say 3rd because you can drive around town all day and not shift... I guess that makes me a sick puppy too. Glad you had a good day to ride.
Well, this is definitely my fault-I gotta watch how to write a title here.

And insulting too. (not the gear jokes-those were just bad-and 1 wasn't enough, I got 2).

I was stuck working on my camper all day long. It was a beautiful day but just had install a roof vent and repair a bent arm on the awning. I got done but the day was gone.

So I came inside and started dreaming about more cool autumn day rides and what RIDING gear would keep the wife riding deeper into the colder months.

And all I got 2 gear jokes and 2 people rubbing my nose in a missed opportunity to ride.

What a crass group! Glad I found a place to fit in.

3 more bad gear jokes to go and all you other lurkers and thread hijackers, please tell me about your wonderful ride on Saturday too!!!
(I need an emoticon not offered here)

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
l2r, I'm actually looking at these products. That way you can just wear your normal clothing.

http://www.bohn-armor-pants.com/cat...&utm_medium=Magazine&utm_campaign=Rider#Order

Hope this helps.
Looks pretty interesting.

I tried some tourmaster pants that had the armor. Good product, well made but I had to sit down in a chair just to get in them.
Getting out of them, I looked more like a snake coming out of it's skin-it took a while wrything on the floor. :eek: No way I doing that on a daily basis.

So I am looking for a pair of pants that I can get on and off "easily" to go to work and back.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just purchased Gerbings heated jacket and pants for the wife. Union Ridge
Great gear that I have seen so far...

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
So I came inside and started dreaming about more cool autumn day rides and what RIDING gear would keep the wife riding deeper into the colder months.
This is a different story then the protective stuff. We have a mix of Gerbing & Firstgear & my little lady is one comfortable rider. We got most from Wingstuff & some from this website. PM to me if you want more details on the controls & such.

http://www.heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a different story then the protective stuff. We have a mix of Gerbing & Firstgear & my little lady is one comfortable rider. We got most from Wingstuff & some from this website. PM to me if you want more details on the controls & such.

http://www.heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml
Yes, I am looking at both protection and warmth.
I have avoided the electrical stuff. Without seeing it or knowing someone with it, seems like alot to deal with.

With so many options, it is hard to figure out what is needed and how much hassle it is to connect and ride.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
With so many options, it is hard to figure out what is needed and how much hassle it is to connect and ride.
I understand your concerns. That is why I'm here "grasshopper" to take them away. I will gladly share my info & experiance with you. I hardwired to bike & have fuse protection. I can give you more info if you wish. As far as the hassle to connect/disconnect & ride, of course there is more to deal with but remember if mamas warm all is good. In other words "IT IS WORTH THE EFFORT". You could always use the battery stuff but then you have the charging issue. Everything has it's drawbacks.

Let me know if you want to get into the nuts & bolts of this. I can even provide pictures.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand your concerns. That is why I'm here "grasshopper" to take them away. I will gladly share my info & experiance with you. I hardwired to bike & have fuse protection. I can give you more info if you wish. As far as the hassle to connect/disconnect & ride, of course there is more to deal with but remember if mamas warm all is good. In other words "IT IS WORTH THE EFFORT". You could always use the battery stuff but then you have the charging issue. Everything has it's drawbacks.

Let me know if you want to get into the nuts & bolts of this. I can even provide pictures.
I would like to see your set up. I already have a fuse block ready to install working off the battery(was for previous bike). You may have something better.

The issue here, as always, is total cost. I have found that I have to multiply by 2 when I make the initial purchase. I understand alternators on 1500s are lacking. I fear this whole warmth thing will end up near $1000 by the time I am done with compu fire alternator and gear.

The work doesn't bother me. I am comfortable with 12 volt systems.

I do want to understand the total cost before I launch into this. That said, I am interested and might do it this fall. As others have mentioned, the length of the ride is determined by the passenger.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Good old fashion thermals to keep warm
Bright yellow road workers vest to be seen
Goldwing jacket with liner inside, the heavy nylon one.

Love2ride,
You will want the bigger alternator, I have it on my Wing because of all the light.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Two parts to this story....

Part One: I have tried some of the "protective gear"...its nice but I find my self becoming the "Michelim Tire Man"...I am now starting to wonder if all this protective gear is not causing us to become too relaxed on the bike or less limbo thus causeing Potential Bad Situations...just food for thought...

Part Two: I have been looking at heated gear for my trip that is coming up and the fact that the last four days it has been 36-45 degrees in the morning for the ride to work... I have looked at Gerbing gear...very nice....found at http://www.gerrbing.com also found at several BMW dealers....(gear at http://www.heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml outlet is good via a friend of mine but keep in mine that alot of the gear is seconds thus I am personaly a little skidish on buying seconds when it comes to electrical items...not saying they are bad...just me).....the other heated clothing I am looking at is http://www.warmnsafe.com/ their gear appears to be a little more rugged than gerrbings...I did find that warmnsafe has designed a lot of gerrbings clothing for them....

I have not boughten anything yet but a pair of chaps which work really great....I guess I still have a little Harley in me with my leather jacket and chaps :eek:

My Questions is: "Does anyone have a good recommendation on finding a good warm pair of gloves that can be worn in the rain and not saturate your hands...caught the other day in a 49 degree rain day...even with the heated handle grips...fingers got cold do to the fact they were wet....????:confused:

Safe Rides

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi from Canada where it gets really cold. I have a Power Tour jacket and Joe Rocket ballistic pants. Easy to get into and out of. Also warm enough to wear when the temp gets really cold. Have been thinking about electric pants and vest for the longer trips. Have a friend who rides and H-D and he wears a electric vest and swears by it. Even plugged in in Nevada in the summer. Swears it keeps his back warmer. Heated hand grips are great but I think that heated gloves would be the cat's meow. By really cold I'm talking about high 20's and low 30's in your temps. We are a hardy bunch up here. Even have friends that ride in the snow and 0 degrees.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Gear

I like tourmaster stuff. I have a pair of winterish pants made from cortech. They are a breeze to get in as they have zippers the length of the leg and good wind protection so the zippers don't leak. These are dry and warm.

I have Tourmaster Polar tech gloves and these are all right. NO glove works much below 38 degrees. I would like to try snow mobile gloves as these are worn at 60 mph and below 0F temps. I wear Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket in summer and it is mesh w armor and well vented. I think JR was first in the mesh armor jacket business.

I have vented BMW boots for summer and Oxtar for wet / winter. I don't wear electric stuff, but might consider gloves. My grind with electric stuff is the day you really need it, it wont work. Or worse, the left side works and right doesnt.

I rode over Donner pass at 23 degrees, snow and ice. All my winter stuff does work. I recommend the little bags of hot gravel skiiers use. Put the bag in your glove and presto, toasting warm.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
l2r I just love pushing buttons, but I won't for this, you're too stratched for another 'gear shot'. Let me say this, my wife can get chills in a hot tub so she needs good warm riding gear. I used to have a Widder vest for her on the 1200, but don't have the heat for the 1800 (yet) and didn't on the 1500. What she does have is the Hondaline Nirvana Jacket and she loves it. In stormy weather and strong winds this August she was snug and warm. We both wear the Nirvana riding pants as well. I take the inner liner out in summer to facilitate removal when I get to the office (the liner is a royal PITA), but they do a great job blocking cold wind. I'm thinking a Nirvana jacket is in my future since my CBR jacket is getting a tad long in the tooth. For long haul cool/cold rides, I don't think you can beat the electric stuff though.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
l2r I just love pushing buttons, but I won't for this, you're too stratched for another 'gear shot'. Let me say this, my wife can get chills in a hot tub so she needs good warm riding gear. I used to have a Widder vest for her on the 1200, but don't have the heat for the 1800 (yet) and didn't on the 1500. What she does have is the Hondaline Nirvana Jacket and she loves it. In stormy weather and strong winds this August she was snug and warm. We both wear the Nirvana riding pants as well. I take the inner liner out in summer to facilitate removal when I get to the office (the liner is a royal PITA), but they do a great job blocking cold wind. I'm thinking a Nirvana jacket is in my future since my CBR jacket is getting a tad long in the tooth. For long haul cool/cold rides, I don't think you can beat the electric stuff though.
I am truly disappointed. I only had 2 "gear" shots - there are 3 more gears left to get out of the way. And of course, reverse.

Thanks for the tip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts