Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While watching football this afternoon with a few of my biker friends, a discussion was started about "which lane is the safest for a motorcyclist if you were riding on a three lane expressway".

If you were going to be on the expressway for hours where would you position yourself most of the time???

All of these guys are 30+ years bikers and their rationals were , well let's just say "insightful"!!!! What do you think ?

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
unless i'm passing someone i stay in the center lane

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am also a 30+ year rider. I stay in the outside lane if at all possible. This gives me the shoulder to work with in an emergency. I can handle watching for merging traffic and have no problem letting them in without arguing position. That is my opinion. lol

·
Registered
365 Posts
Lane?

I've always liked the center lane, I feel it gives me more options..or more "outs", I can go either left or right if I really need to.:)

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Right lane unless I am passing, like Jack Poet I can handle traffic merging and if need-be I can catch a shoulder without being sandwiched between other vehicles.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
While it certainly wasn't an official poll, there were 11 guys giving their opinions. Five of them said that they like to stay in the first lane because they don't have to contend with much high-speed passing and lane changing. Merging traffic and exiting traffic created the most problems for them, But they also said it was something that was easy to deal with and they have an easy way out if it became necessary The other six were divided between the center lane and the left lane. Those who like the center lane said it gave them the most room to move around if it became necessary, than any other lane on a three lane expressway. Those who like to ride in the fast lane said it was the easiest because they don't have to contend with any merging traffic and lane changing and the only thing they have to watch out for is someone riding there butt. I find myself in the left lane 80% and center lane 20%. There's too much going on in that right lane to make the ride enjoyable. But then again, how much enjoyment can you really find on the expressway.

·
Registered
195 Posts
On the interstate I tend to ride the center lane. It seems to work out best for me.
We have a long section of US1 that is 3 lanes with a divider, and most of the time I stay in the center lane the right lane people tend to pull out from side roads, and people can turn left into you from the turn lanes if you are in the left lane. It keeps you on your toes, or brakes. Some parts of it just has a Center lane, Emergency lane, what ever you want to call it. It does give you a place to go if you are in the left lane and someone changes lanes on you.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I try to ride in the left as much as possible. Unless there are exits on both sides. If that's the case I will ride the center.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,638 Posts
I ride in the lane that offers me the best vantage point for scanning traffic, on multi-lane roads of course. That often means I have to change lanes to maintain my view and to be able to 'see' possible trouble spots. Out here we have the 'keep' right except to pass' as well as 'slower traffic keep right' thing, but few motorists adhere to it. Too many slow movers in the left lane, and lots of the Parnelli Jones wannabe's jumping from lane to lane while being a menace. I do what I have to, to prevent becoming a hood ornament.:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
KRS (KY Revised Statue)189.300 Vehicles to keep to right.
(1) The operator of any vehicle when upon a highway shall travel upon the right side of
the highway whenever possible, and unless the left side of the highway is clear of
all other traffic or obstructions for a sufficient distance ahead to permit the
overtaking and passing of another vehicle to be completed without interfering with
the operation of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction or any vehicle
being overtaken. The overtaking vehicle shall return to the proper traffic lane as
soon as practicable and, if the passing vehicle enters the oncoming traffic lane,
before coming within two hundred (200) feet of any approaching vehicle.
(2) The operator of any vehicle moving slowly upon a highway shall keep his vehicle as
closely as practicable to the right-hand boundary of the highway, allowing more
swiftly moving vehicles reasonably free passage to the left.
Effective: July 12, 2006
History: Amended 2006 Ky. Acts ch. 173, sec. 12, effective July 12, 2006. --
Recodified 1942 Ky. Acts ch. 208, sec. 1, effective October 1, 1942, from Ky. St

I absolutely hate drivers that feel that have the right to dictate my speed :mad:. They ride/drive in the far left lane and force me to pass in the right lane. They think because they are not speeding they are not breaking the law. Well as you can see in KY they are.
I agree with budoka,I ride where I have a cushion. I have mutilple outs and try not to fool around with the 18 wheelers in my car or on the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
As I said before I ride in the right lane and if I get behind a vehicle like a bus or truck that may impair my view, then I back-off so that I have a very comfortable safety cushion with a view. I maintain a safe following distance no matter what. Why ? Have you ever had a muffler fall -off a vehicle in front of you ? I have !

·
Registered
835 Posts
Right Lane @ Speed Limit -

What I find dangerous is when you are riding along with traffic in the far right lane as a gaggle of vehicles race up doing 80 mph. Even though everyone around you is already going above the speed limit I've seen some of these maniacs jockey across all four lanes just to cut across the front bumper of the lead car.

You'd think that traveling in the far outside lane was reasonably safe. But it's often the daily commuters who are running late for work that will cut you off while diving for an off ramp, then give you the one finger salute even though you're just trying to stay out of their way. Once on I-10 near Santa Monica I saw a motorist pass everyone using the right hand maintenance lane. The weird part was he was traveling at highway speed over the raised bumps that were installed to keep people off this section of road. Man it sounded like a overloaded 18 wheeler with 6 flat tires was coming up on my right handle bar.

I much prefer to stay on a two lane back road when ever available.What are your thoughts ?
Michael :)

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
on most michigan expressways the speed limit is 70mph and there is no passing lane regardless to how many lanes there are

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
on most michigan expressways the speed limit is 70mph and there is no passing lane regardless to how many lanes there are
I am not saying you are wrong. :D. I am saying It makes no sense to me. A passing lane is there becuase vehicles travel at differnet speeds making passing a must. Having a "passing" lane an a "driving" lane establishes a bit of order to the true kaos. I am going to google MI traffic laws

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
Unfortunately riding two lane backroads is not always an option nor is it always safer for a cyclist. We share the road with other motorist who posess various degrees of driving skills and reasoning skills that affect our own driving habits. I 'm sure we all know that being on a two lane backroad doesn't make us immune to dangerous drivers, even if we want to stay on the backroads it isn't feasible or even possible in many cases. I'm not going to stop riding, so I will continue to be diligent and ride my ride as safely as I can and not allow another motorist to dictate my route or anything else !

·
Administrator
15,302 Posts
I agree with Budoka and Ralphumor, I stay where I can be seen and see the best. Mostly I do keep right except to pass. On Interstates with 3 or more lanes I keep to the middle, except for driving in cities. There I will stay in the left lane and keep up with traffic. That way you move along with the flow and get on through. My commute to work is like this and most times I do not get people jumping in and out, but you gotta watch out for that no matter what vehicle you are piloting.

If there is no traffic I keep to the left to even out the wear on my tires. My last set wore out on the left side first which is probably from the crown of the road.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
KRS (KY Revised Statue)189.300 Vehicles to keep to right.
(1) The operator of any vehicle when upon a highway shall travel upon the right side of
the highway whenever possible, and unless the left side of the highway is clear of
all other traffic or obstructions for a sufficient distance ahead to permit the
overtaking and passing of another vehicle to be completed without interfering with
the operation of any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction or any vehicle
being overtaken. The overtaking vehicle shall return to the proper traffic lane as
soon as practicable and, if the passing vehicle enters the oncoming traffic lane,
before coming within two hundred (200) feet of any approaching vehicle.
(2) The operator of any vehicle moving slowly upon a highway shall keep his vehicle as
closely as practicable to the right-hand boundary of the highway, allowing more
swiftly moving vehicles reasonably free passage to the left.
Effective: July 12, 2006
History: Amended 2006 Ky. Acts ch. 173, sec. 12, effective July 12, 2006. --
Recodified 1942 Ky. Acts ch. 208, sec. 1, effective October 1, 1942, from Ky. St

I absolutely hate drivers that feel that have the right to dictate my speed :mad:. They ride/drive in the far left lane and force me to pass in the right lane. They think because they are not speeding they are not breaking the law. Well as you can see in KY they are.
I agree with budoka,I ride where I have a cushion. I have mutilple outs and try not to fool around with the 18 wheelers in my car or on the bike.

To me this sounds like there is a difference between a highway and an expressway. I certainly hope that I don't have to watch for oncoming traffic while on the expressway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.