Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, summer is upon us and I plan on doing some riding this year. My question is, what is the speed for optimum gas mileage? I read somewhere, the wings mileage goes down quickly when you get over 70. Is that 70 on the speedo (which is usually about 5mph off) or actually 70 which would read around 75 on the dial?

With the built in speedo error, what is the speed for optimum gas mileage?

·
Banned
3,120 Posts
Okay, summer is upon us and I plan on doing some riding this year. My question is, what is the speed for optimum gas mileage? I read somewhere, the wings mileage goes down quickly when you get over 70. Is that 70 on the speedo (which is usually about 5mph off) or actually 70 which would read around 75 on the dial?

My 1500 is spot on per my GPS on the speedo. Not sure about the 1800. My 94 1500 gets 41 mpg on the highway when I am riding at 60 mph. It drops off fast as I push the speed.

When traveling with a friend who rides an 1800, he got consistently 2 mpg better than I on a 4500 mile journey this December down in the south west.

·
Registered
278 Posts

I would think the optimal number for the highest possible MPGs would be extended rides at the slowest possible speed. Of course, zero MPH would be best as that would result in nearly zero gas consumption, except that lost to evaporation. 35mph sounds like a good number, but the ride must be extended - not stop 'n go.

·
Super Moderator
28,505 Posts
cal, I believe my riding buddy Two Wheel says that he gets his ultimate mileage right around 65 mph. I'm sure he will chime in when he finally gets out of bed this am.

Oh the life of the Retired....:cool:

·
Registered
85 Posts
There are of course variables, such as tires etc, but for me it has been around 63-65 mph for the best mpg. I am not sure if driver size/weight has anything to do with it, but if it does I am 6'3" 300 just to throw that into the calculator pot.

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
I've never really tested it, but between 60-65 would be about right I think (split the difference and call it 63). I ride pretty consistantly at the 70 mark with occasional forays into the forbidden zone, and go about 250 km (155 miles) between fills. Usually takes 18-20 litres at that point (>5 US gal). I get low 40's Cdn (mid 30's US) when I have checked my mileage.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. Last year I toured southern Oregon for a week. On the freeways we were at around 70 (actual, not what showed on the dial) and much slower on the mountain roads. I think my mileage ranged from about 38 to 41 MPG. I also ran about 225 miles before filling up. My buddies Road King started looking for fuel at around 175 miles.

Leaving in two weeks for another week on the road, I was just wondering how everyone else did on fuel.

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Perhaps the sweet spot is rpm vs mph since so many variables affect speed such as tire size, rider weight, wind, altitude, temperature, fuel quality, variances in speedo accuracy, hills vs flats, trailering, if it's a trike, one up vs two up, condition of the engine and the list goes on. Basically how hard is the bike working? Haven't had mine long enough yet and the rear tire was changed to a c/t which has raised rpm, so I don't know yet my sweet spot yet. I'm guessing about 2800 rpm. How about you guys?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Easy riding 2-lanes around 50-60mph, I get low 40's MPG. Highway 70-75 it drops to high 30's. '06 1800.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
in the low 60s mph i get 43 mpg; at upper 75 to 80 mph i get 35 mpg; this is riding 1 up on a GL1800

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
My best milleage is on two lane back roads at speeds around 45-55. The Wing seems to just loaf at those speeds. On the super slab I try to keep her at or under 3k RPM and that seems to give me the best mileage.

Oh and Fossil.. I can get up early...if I have a reason....LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts