Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say a touring Goldwing pulls into Somewhere, USA for lunch. On the bike and in the gear boxes are a lot of expensive stuff; specialized cycle clothing, camping gear, tools, maybe a laptop. How do you make the call whether to stay close to the bike and protect your investments, or whether to wander around town for a couple hours before heading out again? Do all those gear boxes have a lock?

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Hi Seattle and welcome to the forum.

The first question we might ask is why you would ask. Are you a good guy or a bad guy?

If you are a good guy, then yes they have locks.

IF you are a bad guy, then they have alarms.

·
Super Moderator
15,126 Posts
when i took my pa, va., md trip last summer all a thief would have gotten was some clothes. i wanted to tke my laptop but i always carry it in its bag and the combo will not fit on the wing unless i strap it to the seat so it got left at home. the point and shoot camera hooks on my belt loop so its always with me and i took my gps whenever i left the bike

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Seattle and welcome to the forum.
The first question we might ask is why you would ask. Are you a good guy or a bad guy?
If you are a good guy, then yes they have locks.
IF you are a bad guy, then they have alarms.
It's good to know that the boxes lock, but if you are touring/camping without a trailer, you will have more gear than boxes. Check out this picture; does the owner take that walk around town at lunchtime?

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=goldwing+camping&start=114&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=KNV&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&biw=1214&bih=765&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=WoUhTK4jfMaoLM:&imgrefurl=http://www.motocampers.com/forums/showthread.php%3Ft%3D3569&docid=7Lm7i_JRD6qryM&imgurl=http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6047/6266998821_525b620f34.jpg&w=500&h=358&ei=MhtST7j6NsfSgQfMy_TIDQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=101&vpy=279&dur=10639&hovh=190&hovw=265&tx=153&ty=212&sig=103201128894609060691&page=5&tbnh=131&tbnw=147&ndsp=27&ved=1t:429,r:21,s:114

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
As always anything is possible. We have logged many miles with gear on & have stopped with no issues. We do lock up but the stuff that is on the rack or in compartments is susceptible to damage or loss.

Some good tips are make sure the area you're in is high profile/traffic area. I always try to make contact with a homeowner/buisness person that I'm parked in front of. That way they know you're the bike owner. Be friendly & they will have the tendencey to look out for you. The stuff that you keep in the rack bag or compartments should be of the lesser value. Just good common sense.

We have never had any issues (maybe luck). I think most people will respect a bike owner & their belongings.

Again the area you're in has a lot to do with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As always anything is possible. We have logged many miles with gear on & have stopped with no issues. We do lock up but the stuff that is on the rack or in compartments is susceptible to damage or loss.

Some good tips are make sure the area you're in is high profile/traffic area. I always try to make contact with a homeowner/buisness person that I'm parked in front of. That way they know you're the bike owner. Be friendly & they will have the tendencey to look out for you. The stuff that you keep in the rack bag or compartments should be of the lesser value. Just good common sense.

We have never had any issues (maybe luck). I think most people will respect a bike owner & their belongings.

Again the area you're in has a lot to do with it.
Agree 100% Fossil. Locks keep honest people honest. Being friendly and using common sense goes a long way. :)

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I have been riding since I was 16(now 67). I have parked in many many places. Left my bike in the motel parking lots for many many nights.
I have never had anything taken, nor anything done to any of my bikes.
Park in "populated" areas, ie lots of foot traffic or lots w/attendants.
Park close to the booths in the pay lots. Park close to the front doors of motels/hotels.

·
Administrator
25,902 Posts
Only trouble I ever had was in the parking lot of a major hotel in Edmonton. Some ne'er do well jerk tried to relieve my 1200 Interstate of it's stereo (unsuccessfully I might add) while I attended a meeting. No-one has ever messed with my stuff anywhere while out on the road, locked or unlocked. I do lock the cases but that still only stops the honest ones. One of my HD buds has a sticker on his bike the reads: "Avoid the Beating...**** Off!" While I don't advertise that way, I do subscribe to the sentiment.;)

·
Premium Member
17,042 Posts
Sorry I'm very suspect of this posting. Obviously not a Wing owner, that's OK, but the question just leaves me questioning ?????

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry I'm very suspect of this posting. Obviously not a Wing owner, that's OK, but the question just leaves me questioning ?????
You are correct, I am not a Goldwing owner. But, I'm giving it some serious thought, and I tend to do a lot of research before I jump into something this expensive and this dangerous. I'm getting some great feedback from this board, as you can see from my previous postings over the last couple months.

·
Banned
3,118 Posts
I travel quite a bit and I leave the bike in wide open areas where the bike can be viewed from many different locations...and I put the gps and other goodies in the locked boxes. One of my bags has a small cable lock on it and some of my gear could walk. One has to make a sacrifice if one wants to check things out.

I left the bike in down town San Antonio, El Paso, Phoenix, Tuscon, and many rest stops.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Aside from the fact that all the compartments lock, I might be a little naive, but the reputation of bikers being bada$$e$ (hee hee!) I think a lot of people wouldn't dare go near a parked bike.

·
Registered
776 Posts
My co-rider gets a little mad at me for some of the neighborhoods we've been through at all hours of the day and night, never really had any problems. Even when I kicked the side of a car that got too close to us, YOUR TOO CLOSE if I can do that! The biggest problem I had was when my wing sank in asphalt and rolled over, and then we had friendly people right my bike for us.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Even when I kicked the side of a car that got too close to us, YOUR TOO CLOSE if I can do that! QUOTE]

Happy that somebody else understands how I feel when I kick in the door of a "car to close"....
Sorry, I can loose my cool, QUICKLY >>>
Had a woman on a phone once pull out in front of me. We caught the next light together. I asked her to be careful, she give me the finger and cussed me. I lost it, kicked her door until the light turned green.
Then she drove off looking at me like I was crazy.

..... two guns

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I noticed a couple of post about kicking car doors because someone was to close or pulled out in front of them and i don't have a problem with confronting someone for their ignorance , but i also see it from the other view also and if i am at fault in the situation then i am at fault , but i am the kind of guy that will leave you kicking on the pavement drawing your last breath when you kick my car . I am not saying that i would be justified in shooting a man for voicing his opinion or disgust , but when he attacks my property or me i would not hesitate to shoot him in his tracks . I have been the attacker before and i would not have blamed the defendant for dropping me in my tracks ! I guess what i am saying is in this day and time , if you exhibit this behavior enough you will meet that one person who will kick back . I pray it isn't me !!

·
Premium Member
8,351 Posts
Well, I use a point-and-shoot, too, but's it's not a camera! Anybody willing to dodge .357 hollow points can HAVE my gear!
Hoo-Yah!
Tatanka
(Gran Torino: "Ever run into somebody you shouldn't have f**ked with. Well, that's me!"

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
?

Aside from the fact that all the compartments lock, I might be a little naive, but the reputation of bikers being bada$$e$ (hee hee!) I think a lot of people wouldn't dare go near a parked bike.
I couldn't help but to chuckle just a little ! We ride Goldwings and that doesn't exactly fit the image of a " BIKER " in most minds , much - less the image of a shaggy , scarred and tattooed freak ! I don't know if you have noticed , but alot of goldwing riders wear the matching outfits from the Richard Simmons collection and appear to be enroute to a garden party in Limp Wrist America . I am not saying that a number of us can't get rowdy , but the perception is that we are not members of the Hell's Angels and pose no threat to a thief , unfortunately for a few I don't think alot of people will remember the timeless saying " Don't judge a book by its cover "

·
Premium Member
23,804 Posts
Methinks to me self..... What if someone absconded with my helmet in a helmet law state ? Now that I have the Scala G4 wireless intercom on my helmet, I'll have to rethink the helmet hooked on the bike routine. Every solution creates its own problems.

·
Super Moderator
15,126 Posts
well if someone did still your stuff just think of how much room you would have you could buy somemore and take all home with you :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts