Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have stumbled over an "80" GL1100 with full dress from Vetter. Burgundy color. Not exactly a barn find, but from far up North in Minnesota (I reside in Minneapolis). Only 30k?!?

Stored inside heated the whole time. I will be the third owner. Immaculate condition, and running. I will be bringing it down next week and I have never been so jazzed.

First question: after changing all fluids and filters- what should I do next for general maintenance and inspection?

Second question: Anybody know an experienced Wing mechanic in the Twin Cities area?

Thanks ahead for your responses! I'm glad to be here, just in time for summer 2020. I will post pictures when I get some good ones.

Enoch

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Check the break pads, the age of the tires and replace them if they are old. Replace the spark plugs. Not sure if you have a rear drive fluid change that too. Change and bleed the clutch and break fluid.

·
Super Moderator
11,493 Posts
First of all, welcome to the forum.

GetAway has already given you some great advice.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Good advice from the others. Post some pictures when you get a chance. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Change the timing belts. Even though the bike only has 30,000 miles, the bike is 30 years old.The belts are old and probably dried out.
A broken belt will cause irreparable damage to the engine.
Will the pistons hit the valves and scramble the engine or are you safe with just a broken belt?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your introduction and the great advice. I'm not new to riding, I just never owned anything as complex or valuable as a full dress Wing. She has survived four decades at this time, I want her around and running smooth in four more decades!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts