Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Goldwing you would buy with only $2500?

Well...can't really believe I am thinking about a ride I'd buy for only $2000 - $2500 but I sold my last bike last fall (an 07 Street Glide) and now MUST get back in the saddle (this would be my 8th bike in 25 yrs).

Problem is...when I lost my job (see "sold last bike"), I ran my cash rather low...so now I am looking to get something "reasonable" but still a highly competent scoot to ride the mountains with my buddies.

I see a LOT of '80s vintage Goldwings...just don't know what to watch for (other than obvious beaters). Timing belts, carbs, electrical?

Looking for advice on what the strongest years were that I'd likely find in that low price range. 1100's? 1200's?

Thanks VERY much for any info you can provide!

SG

·
Registered
20 Posts
I really enjoyed my 1200. It had all the power needed to keep up with anyone but you just had to shift more often than the later bikes.

The high current side of the electrical system was a chronic problem; stator, connections to the regulator, fuse panel. Find out the history of the stator at least.

The only other issue I ever had was front fork seals which were an easy DIY job.

I would go with the best 1200 I could find and you should be able to do that for $2500.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF sgngen, while i was looking for a 1500 wing two years ago i found my '84 aspencade for $2500. the stator had been changed, new brakes all around, and all fluids changed. the only thing i did was put dunlop e-3 tires on it, add some chrome and ride

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks - may also consider a Venture Royale (dare I say)

Thank you for the advice.

Of course, it's funny how whenever there are negative issues they are amplified so dramatically. But it's important for me to know what I am getting into...I like to wrench a bit...but I no professional.

I am considering looking at the Yamaha Venture Royale, too...but don't know what they are like at all.

SG

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought an 84 Interstate for $2200 of craigslist. 45,000 miles. Had newer tires, battery, etc. When I looked I made sure to test the alternator before anything else. Then went around and made sure all the lights were working. I was completely amazed at how many people were selling Gold Wings and were totally clueless on how to care for them and repair minor problems. Mine is much, much more comfortable and rideable than my 2007 VTX 1300 was. I have ordered a new seat cover from jcwhitney because of thesliding forward deal. But all Hondas do that. Speaking of clueless, you'd think Honda engineers would have figured out how to design a seat after 30-40 years.

·
Registered
65 Posts
bbells;2052... I have ordered a new seat cover from jcwhitney because of thesliding forward deal. But all Hondas do that. Speaking of clueless said:
My seat did the same thing on my 84 limited. I fixed that with a bolt on the right side,(I think), just removed the saddle bag cover, and put a bolt in the hole on the side of the seat. Stays put now.
Tom

·
Registered
20 Posts
It isn't that the seat moves. It is that Honda angles them forward so it always feels like your butt is sliding towards the tank.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It isn't that the seat moves. It is that Honda angles them forward so it always feels like your butt is sliding towards the tank.
I haven't noticed that, but when I first got the bike, the seat was all the way back, when I would come to a stop, the seat would slide forward about 1.5 inches. That was the first thing I fixed on the bike. There have been several more fixes since then!
Tom

·
Registered
470 Posts
I just bought( Jul 10) a 1987 Aspencade for $1700 (Can)..it has 93Km on the clock. It runs like a top, it does need all the brakes done....including one rotor. It has all the usual wing extras. Came with 2 helmets, full cover, rain suit, a new battery and new rear tire. It needs all the fluids changed, air filter, plugs and I won't ride it 'till I change the timming belts. Overall I think I did OK for the age and condition and the extras that came with it....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts