Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My owners manual seems to recommend regular gas. Is anyone using mid grade or premium gas? My bike is 2002 With ABS.

·
Registered
741 Posts
What Larry said. You will only be spending more money and getting no benefits to higher octane fuel. However, I seem to be catching myself refueling with 89 octane now and then. The engine and electronics were designed for 87 octane therefore anything higher (I.E. higher anti knock properties) cannot be taken advantage of by the Wing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I could be wrong on this, but;
the difference in octane only signifies how much 'anti-knock' the gasoline has in it. In otherwords; the higher the octane the harder it is to ignite and therefore can be compressed to a higher pressure within the compression chamber. Higher pressure means more power per volume of gasoline/air. Of course it also means more heat, friction, wear, etc.
So, unless the engine is specifically designed for higher compression and actually is a higher compression engine, higher octane will not be needed. No increase in power or efficiency (milleage) results by using higher octane gasoline.

The oposite is also true. Put low octane gasoline in an engine designed for higher compression (BMW I think) and you will get pre-ignition (knocking sound). That sound is the lower octane gasoline igniting BEFORE the cyclinder reaches the top of its rotation. As the compression in the cyclinder reaches the flash point of the lower octane gasoline it ignites as the cyclinder is still coming up. This causes holes in the cyclinder, valves to melt, and rings to seize.

Please real experts chime in. This was from an aviation class 30 years ago, and at that stored in a fading memory card.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Re: fuel topic

Hey guys!!!

Wing are designed to run on Regular Unleaded Fuel. In the owners manual atleast in mine which is a 1997 GL1500SE is says 86 octane or higher.
Important thing to remember that when the bikes come new from the factory they rate everything, espeacially fuel ratings at ("SEA LEVEL") elevation. At higher elevation you don't need too run higher octane fuels, not just in motorcycles but everything. Same goes for lower elevation, or at sea level you typically use higher octane. I think California thier Regular Fuel Octane is like 87 or 88. and thier Premium Unleaded is like 93 octane. Where I live in Northern Utah and where I ride elevation wise varies from 4600ft to over 7000ft above sea level. Our Octanes at most all stations around me have Regular Unleaded Fuel with a Octane of 85, Mid Grade Fuel Octane is 88, and out Premium Unleaded is 91 Octane.
I always run a GOOD CLEAN HIGH QUAILITY FUEL, such as chevron is all I run in my Wing and cars. Also every few thousand miles I use a good fuel treatment. I use a Amsoil Fuel Additive called Quick Shot. It comes in a 8oz bottle and treats up to 12 gallons of fuel, a half a bottle will treat your Wing two tank fulls. Amsoil does however reccomeding to use a full 8oz bottle your inital (firstime) cleanup. The to use the 4oz for 6 gallons for fuel for mantince purposes. It's a excellent product and use it myself. Amsoil also has a Fuel Treatment called P.I. or Performance Improver. It's mainly used in cars, but you can run it in your Wings for sure. It's as well is an excellent product from Amsoil. Please contact out site Amsoil Sponser for more info or to place an order. You can also visit www.amsoil.com for more info. But getting it for out Amsoil site sponser you'll get it for wholesale cost, NOT retail!!

How all this information helped out!!! Happy and Safe Riding!!!!!:)

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I have a 2005 & have always used 87--here in Allen, Texas we're at about 350 feet above sea level and 87 is typically the octane for "regular" gas. No problems at all. I've never added anything to the tank by way of additives or cleaners.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The thing most people don't realize is that octane is a rating not a 'thing' but Migolito hit it right on the head as to what it will and won't do (I got the same information in the same way man;)) Unless expressly designed for it higher octane numbers can actually be harmful to your engine. I put 92 in my bike once a year, when I fill the tank to put it away for the winter, premium stays more stable longer than regular does and I still put stabilizer in itas well. Do it on all my seasonal machines.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
I've always run 87 octane witout any problems. Maybe once a year I would give the Wing a treat and put 92 octane but it's really a waste of money.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
dont no if this has anything to do with it but i was using 87 octane and was getting 43 miles a gallon i started using 92 (don't know why) and now i get 38 , it could be that i finally broke the bike in , who knows

1 - 10 of 10 Posts