Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fairly new to Wingworld have a 1995 SE.

My wife walks over to me this morning and hands me a key ring and a wallet that she got from EBAY. Emblazoned on both are a gold bird the "Gold Wing" emblem with GL in the middle of the bird. Got me to thinking.......what does the GL stand for and is the bird an Eagle, a Phoenix or ??????:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
24,119 Posts
There are many guesses as to what the " GL " stands for. I'll see if I can dig some up from another forum. The bird looks to me to be a Thunderbird variation.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
The unofficial meaning of GL.

Get Lost
Grand Luxury
Gold Ling
Great Looking

·
Registered
9,536 Posts
It's for Going Long on the road. GL

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
GL = GOOD LORD what too me sooo long to buy one :)

·
Premium Member
24,632 Posts
As far as I can recall the bird was supposed to be a Condor also. GL is a model designation that I wonder if anybody remembers what it originally stood for right from the release of the first GL1000. GL was on both the 500 and 650 Silverwing also. Not to be confused with the transverse twin CX Turbo.

·
Super Moderator
15,162 Posts
i would have to go with grand and luxury. if you read the book gold wing the first 20 years it states that honda wanted to build something grand and luxurious

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
Some refer to a Wing as a lardy or a grande, mucho big bike. So; the Grande Lardy.

·
Premium Member
6,718 Posts
Great Looker?

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
I googled it and found it stands for 'Gold Ling"

·
Super Moderator
12,265 Posts
Geriatric Lounger.

:D

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
Gordo's love

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
I think Ron nailed it.

·
Registered
316 Posts
It's actually Grande Luxe. Which means Grand Luxury This what I found after a search on several forums. But I also found it means nothing like the CB, etc, etc prefixes. Like the grand luxury best though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts