Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
29,074 Posts
The term actually stands for Dual Clutch Technology. A Honda development term that allows to let the bike shift via preprogrammed settings in various modes Sport, Tour, Wet, and Econ while still allowing a rider to choose to manual shift via the paddle shifter as @Oldhand described. There is also an optional foot shifter available but it is not hugely popular. Many folks just ride the bike allowing the shift points to happen in one of the 4 chosen modes just as @ironhorse54 indicated.

I have said to lots of folks who either have disdain for the technology or feel that they have to shift a bike manually that they had better not ride one then because they are amazing machines.

·
Administrator
15,393 Posts
I've test ridden them and was impressed on how well they worked. It was in the mountains in North Carolina and muscle memory kept me reaching for the clutch that wasn't there. Just when I would have shifted the bike shifted itself. Both up and down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very interesting. Thank you all for your insights.
I have a Honda Pioneer 1000 that is much the same. I have the paddle shifter option or put it in gear and go. Nice.

I'm just getting back to owning a motorcycle and kind of enjoy shifting. Starting from a dead stop and running through the gears is exhilarating. But, I have to admit I use to prefer standard shift in my cars. More sporty and more fun, but today all my cars and trucks are automatic. I'm sure I could get used to a DCT bike pretty easy, and love it, but for now I'll enjoy the clutch and gearbox.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm new to Goldwings. Purchased a 2014 CSC trike and love it. But I hear all the talk about newer Goldwings haveing DCT. What is it and why should I want it. :D JK (I hear it enough I'm just curious)
For the majority of my 50 plus years of driving, I have made it a point to own manual transmission vehicles - I bought a 2019 DCT Tour and in my opinion the transmission is sublime. I do not miss having to use the clutch (albeit said, one gives up the "friction zone" and has to put in practice to adapt to slow moving functions). At any point in time there is the option to use paddle shifters to up or downshift or completely return to a manual paddle driven ride. Meaning, if the auto is being used, one can use the paddle shifter any given moment and then it will automatically revert to the auto transmission. There is a designated button to determine if you want full time auto or manual. I am 100% in appreciation of the transmission and as you drive over time, the transmission "learns" your driving style and gradually makes minor shift changes to better suit your style. Should you encounter erratic behavior you can easily reset the transmission. Many owners do it regularly when they do an oil change, as the engine oil and transmission oil are changed at the same time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to Goldwings. Purchased a 2014 CSC trike and love it. But I hear all the talk about newer Goldwings haveing DCT. What is it and why should I want it. :D JK (I hear it enough I'm just curious)
I just got my first GW and I got the DCT after reading many reviews.
I love this bike I traded in my Indian challenger for the DCT GW out of 18 motorcycles I have owned it is my favorite of all of them with my triumph scrambler XE a very close second.
On that note I don’t think these bikes are for everyone but I for one am happy with my decision.

·
Registered
2021 dct tOUR
7 Posts
I too have had more than a handful of Wings and made the jump to DCT in July. I don't miss the manual shift at all. And have found that almost at every moment that it's in the right gear at the right time. occasionally I'll tap the shift up button in town, especially if I was a little froggy coming off the red light (its waiting to see if I want to thump it a moment longer) and I will normally hit the downshift if a rapid passing situation arises. But on the whole I am exceptionally pleased with the 7 speed. I like it !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts