Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this is my first post in this forum, not a current wing owner but I'm shopping for an upgrade to my 05 vtx1300, been lookin at Harley's and now wings, thinking wing but not positive yet. Not sure if new or used??

Local dealer has a couple new 2010 wings:
comfort/nav/abs for 23,693 OTD
Decent price?? (Atlanta area)
Also extra year on warranty (4 instead of 3)
+ 1500 in Honda stuff
Buy now or wait till spring (will be paying cash, got $$$ currently in stocks & bonds will liquidate enough for bike)
(realize winter is upon us but here in GA i ride year around, avoid the rare snow)
Took one for a test spin today, sweeeet.

Thanks in advance for any tips, comments, suggestions, etc.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Welcome & greetings from Florida.
If the bike sounds good to you and you want it, you could trade in your 05 and finance the rest until your investments mature and then pay it off. This way you can be enjoying riding a new Wing ahead of time, if you wait too long it could be gone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies thus far, not sure if I'll keep the vtx or not, probably will for now, might give to son or keep to ride around town.
Honda has 1% interest rate on new wings, might just finance most of it and leave money where it is, gonna talk to my money man and see what he sees in his tea leaves for the future economy. I was just curious if people thought the price was reasonable, I haven't shopped wings that much, will check and see what Southern can do.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Came off an '06 1300vtx myself last November. The OTD price you gave is about the same up here 25 miles west of Washington D.C. The only downside, no joke, is that if you used to ride with other like bikes they will wonder why you haven't been around lately.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Sounds like a good deal. See, you made the mistake of taking it for a test ride. It's like going to the pet store and holding the puppies, once you do your hooked.. Enjoy the forum and ride safe. And congrats on your furture purchase..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thats a great price i paid 24000 for mine without the ABS if you go with the wing Honda is giving 1000 in accessories. Make sure you get the newest update for the navi system, work out the details prior to signing. Let the dealer get the update from 09/10.Its just a sims card. I did not and now i am arguing with garmin an Honda got a new bike less the 3 weeks old we should be entitled to the newest update.

Harleys look great but in no way ride or handle like the wing, who want to do the required maintenance 35,000 Valves, 50,000 Lower end.Plus down here in florida its crazy hot i like the cooling system down here. Theres no better ride then a Goldwing

Good Luck

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
That sounds like a very fair deal to me; $3000 below MSRP and taxes and with the goodies included too. HFS has no penalties for early payments, so yes you could take advantage of the finance and keep your investments to maturity and reap the benefits. Check the finance details though, there could be a set time period for the 1% rate as well as a min/max $ amount. Ditto about the gps card update, if you can get that put in the deal, bonus. I paid $300 Cdn for mine and it's well worth it in my mind.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I moved also 7 months ago from a VTX which I really liked, to an old 93 triked wing and I love the wing. I miss the two wheels just alittle bit after riding for over thirty yrs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
New bike

I wrote a reply to this post detailing my recent out-of-state buying experience of my new 2008 Goldwing. There were some positive and negatives. When I reviewed my post, although I addressed the positives and negatives, it clearly sounded as if I was bashing the salesperson and dealership (however much it was deserved). In the interest of the spirit of this website and those at the dealership who did good things, including my salesperson, I chose not to post my reply in it's entirely.

The following are my recommendations to anyone contemplating a motorcycle purchase, particularly if you're buying out-of-state.

Double check the accessories promotion as the $1500 accessory promotion I took advantage of was actually two separate promotions as follows: A Honda promotion in which the purchaser must buy "in excess" of $1000 of Honda accessories and will then receive $1000 credit towards the purchase of the bike, and an "In-house dealership" promotion in which the purchaser must buy "in excess" of $500 in aftermarket accessories and will then receive $500 credit toward the purchase of the bike. Keep in mind you still have to pay any installation labor, if applicable, and tax.

If traveling any distance to buy your bike and financing your bike through the dealership, make sure you get your Honda (or other lender's) finance rate IN WRITING prior to traveling to the dealership to buy the bike.

If you get accessories for your bike, obtain part numbers for the accessories you want and provide those to the salesperson, as well as the MSRP of each item, ensure all of them have arrived, and have been installed or are at the dealership before traveling to the dealership to pickup the bike.

Get an out-the-door price (to include any and all fees, taxes, etc.) before traveling to the dealership.

If you're an out of state buyer find out in advance your state's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) requirements and/or time frames with regard to registration, title, and taxes, and then find out when (by date) and who (by name) will be processing your paperwork at the dealership and sending it to your state's DMV. Time frames for your state's DMV may be different than the state you're purchasing in and your state may penalize you if you violate their time frames.

After purchase, (being 2000+ miles from the dealership) I was not getting resolution to a few pending issues. From that point forward, when I sent emails to the recipient inquirying about those issues, I also cc'd a supervisor, or called them, and mysteriously, issues started getting resolved. When I buy my next bike, I'm going to contact the Sales Manager of the dealership first, advise them I'm not the average customer and insist on dealing with an experienced salesman who is on top of their game, has no problem dealing with demanding customers, will follow up with me on all of my inquiries in a timely manner, and ask them to direct me to "that salesperson" whom they know will take care of "MY" business.

This post is getting longer than I wanted it to be so I'll close by advising any purchaser to remember these golden rules:

Treat the people you deal with the same way you would want to be treated and give them the opportunity to do their job and take care of business. But if they don't, don't hesistate to go to a higher authority!

NO ONE cares about your business and much as you do!

·
Registered
74 Posts
So this is my first post in this forum, not a current wing owner but I'm shopping for an upgrade to my 05 vtx1300, been lookin at Harley's and now wings, thinking wing but not positive yet. Not sure if new or used??

Local dealer has a couple new 2010 wings:
comfort/nav/abs for 23,693 OTD
Decent price?? (Atlanta area)
Also extra year on warranty (4 instead of 3)
+ 1500 in Honda stuff
Buy now or wait till spring (will be paying cash, got $$$ currently in stocks & bonds will liquidate enough for bike)
(realize winter is upon us but here in GA i ride year around, avoid the rare snow)
Took one for a test spin today, sweeeet.

Thanks in advance for any tips, comments, suggestions, etc.
I would suggest looking at the deals on eBay. I saved serious money by not buying local and driving about 125 miles to another in-state dealer. I had everything setup through email, walked in signed the paperwork that was all in order with what was agreed, and then road the bike home. The savings for the 6 hour round trip was about $200 per hour based on what the local dealer could do.

I bought a 2010 audio-comfort, and could have got an '09 out of state (and another 100 miles away) that had ABS and Nav for approximately the same price (Shawnee Honda in Oklahoma). The 2010 was $19,200 + 6% sales tax, and the '09 was approximately$19,600 plus tax.

Having all the details in writing and in-hand when you travel to buy a motorcycle is always good. I had them with me when I went to get the bike (not a trusting sort), but didn't have to refer to them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
before you buy call southern honda in chattanooge,tn.
:)
We stopped by and checked them out yesterday on our way back from TN. They have the best selection and prices thus far, unless a better deal drops in my lap we'll probably get one there.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Great advice Jamnjim. If I had your advice before I bought by Wing my experience could have been a lot better. Not knowing much about the dream bike I wanted, I had them give me suggestions and I added over $3000 in extra stuff. Will the luggage rack for the back was a piece of chome, the headsets could not fit into the GW's speaker system and the list goes on. It was a very frustrating day to get all the things straightened out. I don't think of it anymore except when there are treads like this that get my blood boiling again. Most of the time I just forget about it and love my ride.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got mine at Lawrenceville Honda outside Atlanta in the spring and have been extremely happy with the experience. Best price in the nation at that time (researched the internet for best prices). Sounds like a great deal- jump on it!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
OP, sent you a PM.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.