Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all for the input on my 1500 vs 1800 question. After a bunch more reading I think the 1800 will better suit my style. What do you think of this 2004 1800 in Calgary:

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-touring-2004-Honda-Gold-Wing-W0QQAdIdZ340878189

195,995 km is roughly 115,000 miles. The mileage doesn't scare me IF the bike was properly maintained. If it was a trade in, the dealer might know nothing of the bike's history....

What would you do if the bike's in excellent condition but there's no maintenance history? What concerns should I have?

Thanks!

Peter

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
Good looking bike!!!
I bought my 02 with no history, but it just had 41,000 Miles. I have been thrilled.
I know 115,000 is okay, but thats still a lot for an 04.

It does look well maintained.

·
Premium Member
7,509 Posts
Nice looking bike. Perhaps you can pay a mechanic to go over and look at it with you or get permission to take it to a qualified motorcycle mechanic for inspection.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
20,000 miles a year.... it has been ridden. Great looking bike for sure.

Like Dan said, having it inspected by a mechanic familiar with the 1800 would be a very good idea. The small things he finds wrong would give you some negotiation tools, the big things he finds will help you to decide elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Nice wing......great color too.......wished it was mine....;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I found another GL1800 on Kijiji, a 2001, with around 70,000 miles, for a good price. He might even take my vstrom on trade.

I know 2001 was the first year of this generation, and there were a few problems with these machines as I recall. Was there something about frame cracking, and if yes, what was done about it? Should I be concerned? Is there anything special I should look for during inspection?

Peter

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
If the frame recall was done and repaired there should be some sort of lettering or mark stamped near the infamous crack area or look at the VIN decal on the frame near the left handlebar. A punch mark there indicates that the frame has been inspected/welded for the frame cracking recall. . A visual inspection should show evidence of re-welding and added support.

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
I would not let the milage worry you...mine is a 97 GL1500 SE with 198,000 and still going strong. I would also not be too concerned with the frame cracking. I think you can check where the VIN is located and if the wing has been inspected or repaired there will be an ID mark there. There were several other recalls for that year also. Here is a list I found.......

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/results.cfm

You could always carry it to a dealer to have them check out the recalls for it.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
The bikes are out there Pete but that 04 looks well cared for.

Search a bit more would be my suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
for any recall a dealer can run the vin and let you know if the work or any mantinance work has been done

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Hey there PipelinePete, welcome. I couldn't view the pic , but there's no reason the bike shouldn't be sound if it's been looked after. PM me the VIN and I'll do a maintenance/warranty claim search on it. I have that em, ability(?):D

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Pete, I know that dealership (not well but I've met a couple of the guys there). They can also do the VIN lookup for you (should if they're interested in actually selling you the bike. Price wise, I looked in the Bluebook and it's below average condition price level so it's not a bad deal. Biggest thing is you need to know is that the frame recall was done, which I would guess it has been given the mileage on it. If it hasn't, Honda is still on the hook for it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
From what I understand about the frame cracking issue they are no longer welding them they are replacing the frame. Takes about 3 full days to do with good Mechanics doing the job. I've got an 'O1 with only 36,000 and keep checking the frame but haven't seen anything yet. But I'm not going to let it worry me... I LOVE THIS BIKE!

·
Registered
306 Posts
It looks great, last summer I bought a 2001 with 19,000 for $9,000. It had some pitting on the aluminum because it was near the ocean. The dealer painted the wheels and replaced the tires, paint was perfect except a few minor scratches. There was some rust on the crash bars and mufflers, but I figured I could live with those minor issues for the price. I was also concerned about the frame but the dealer said it check out ok.
No complaints here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.