Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've relocated from CT to Northeast Florida. I'm also changing my riding habits... From one hour jaunts to longer trips of three, four or longer hours. Up North, I carried some leather chaps and electrically heated gloves which I would put on if the temperature took a dip while I was on the road. Hardly needed them then and very unlikely to need them now. I think there's a set of Honda tools in there someplace and of course the owners manual and insurance stuff. I also have a spare pair of sunglasses and a tire pressure gauge. But that's about it.

There are some folks on the forum with way more experience than what i have. Question for you: what do you carry in your saddle bags, trunk and fairing pockets and why?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Okay, here's my list;

• Summer gloves
  • Winter gauntlet gloves
  • Tool bag
  • LED flash light
  • First aide kit
  • Cleaning supplies
  • A can of Tuner Cleaner and Silicon spray (for sticking buttons)
  • Folder with all paper work
  • A few clean rags, paper towels & regular towel

I think that's about it, lol. :)

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
And don't forget: If you're a Hoon from Australia, apparently you make your wife carry a bbq grill strapped to her back!:p

·
Super Moderator
7,603 Posts
I carry the following:
Rain suit
Off road goggles
Camping knife
Multi-tool
Small first aid kit
Goldwing tool kit
Owners manual
Bungee cords/net

·
Premium Member
8,002 Posts
OK, being serious:
-Complete original Honda tool pouch for the '85 Aspencade, even including spare O-rings (Hell, that's probably worth more than the bike!)
-A few other tools: multi-tip screwdriver, channel-locks, vice-grips, socket wrench with full set of metric sockets and Allen wrenches.
-Foul weather gear.
-Clear faceshield for night riding.
-Good LED flashlight.
-And, most important: A fully charged cellphone with internet capability!

·
Administrator
28,998 Posts
Always the following:

Goldwing manual
Toolkit
Flashlight
Tire guage
Plexsus w/microfiber
Small notebook /Pen
Small Road Atlas
Extra sunglasses for different weather
Extra do rags (for her)
Spare gloves (for both)
Tire Plug Kit
Air hose for compressor
2 sets Rain Gear
Vest (for her)
Bike Cover

·
Registered
68 Posts
Welcome to Paradise! I just moved here from NH in May myself. I'm going to love the no snow part...

I pretty much carry the same stuff I did in NH, but my emphasis is less towards cold weather (It's 70 here this morning, and that's the lowest I've seen in months) and more towards rain, since it pretty much rains every day here.

So, like others, flashlight, tools for our Harley friends, Plexus and microfiber cloth, gloves, shades, hand mirror for the wife, bungees, motorcycle jumper cables, and he other standard stuff.
I also carry a small ran cover ( http://www.tourkingcovers.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=3 ) and rain gear always, since Florida seems to need a rinse every afternoon. A sun cover for the seat ( http://www.exigentbikecovers.com/accessories.htm ) is a good idea, since the sun here can make a black seat REALLY bun-blisteringly hot in just a few minutes. I also have those bandanas that you soak in water and they evaporate, providing some nice cooling for your neck. And, a small cooler with water for hydration. Did I mention it gets hot here in the summer? This one works really well. http://www.polarbearcoolers.com/polar-bear-coolers/green-6-pack-polar-bear-coolers.html

Tire Plug kit and small compressor, spare fuses, relays, little green clips for the saddle bag openers, and some other clutter that I thought might be useful over the years and just tossed in.

For the summer here the emphasis has been on hydration, heat management, and rain protection.

So, where in Northeast Florida are you?

=Dave=
Old Dog Moto Works

·
Registered
363 Posts
This is a great thread! Looking at the other things people carry makes me aware of cretin items I don't currently have on board! ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Love Bugs

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this to you, but I'm sure you've noticed the love bugs, since it's the season right now.
All those annoying little critters want to do is eat, mate, and smear themselves over the front of your bike or car. Sadly, the only predator they have is the automobile, motorcycle or semi truck.
Their guts are caustic, and will ruin your paint, so make sure you clean them off as soon as possible, and don't leave them to eat away at your finish.
A clean bike is a happy bike...

=Dave=
Old Dog Moto Works

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
For a day ride I carry a cell phone, a plug kit and small compressor, jacket and sun glasses.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You guys are great! Thanks for all the great ideas. I've already experienced the hot seat and the rain EVERY FRICKEN' AFTERNOON. Having to deal with a flat tire while out on the road scares the sh*t out of me.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dont forget the juice!

1995 GL1500 SE anniversary; Make sure you have a bottle of fuel additive like Beriman if you can find it. I couldnt so I carry STP. Saved me on a trip to Branson. Gas stations are suposed to check ther tanks for water but go figure. Two miles down the road the bike went down to 3 cylinders. The STP works great too and immidiate. So this and a tire plug is the most priority to me. Riding gear and everything else.
Ed........

·
Super Moderator
12,269 Posts
Honda tool kit
Small first aid kit
Second jacket either lighter or heavier than the one I'm wearing
Second pair of gloves, same as above
The luggage liners live folded in the bags
Garage door opener
Sea Foam
Extra fuses and light bulbs
Owners manual packet
Pledge and microfiber cloths

I think that's about it.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Let's see...

rain gear
slime air pump
tire plug kit
bike cover
bungie cords
quart of oil
tools
duct tape
kick stand parking pad

And the all important "go anywhere bag"

·
Registered
126 Posts
Left box: armored mesh jacket
Rear box: His and Hers helmets, gloves, bungie cords, towel
Right box: His and Hers rain gear, tool kit, air hose, first aid kit, bottled water, air gauge, bit of fuel line
Rear arm rest baggies: Bottled water, pen, paper
Right front box: Wire, fuses, bulbs, electrical tape, clamps
False tank box: Tire repair kits, factory preasure guage
Left front box: Kickstand support metal plate, .45 magazine, 20 bucks
Somewhere: Paperwork for bike and G21 or .41 magnum revolver
My skinny behind :D

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Here's a typical list for me alone on a day run:
-OEM tool kit with supplements and manuals
-rain gear/liners
-water bottle
-Pledge and micro fiber cloth
-cell phone
-map
-Goldbook
-spare key (always)
-pressure guage (always)
-can koolie
-mini maglite
-camera (not just the i-phone)
-eye glasses (for reading above map if necessary) and sun glasses
-full riding gear (ATGATT)
-emergency contact info

·
Registered
835 Posts
Inexpensive CO2 Cartridges -

Has anyone thought to take along one of those CO2 cartridge kits to air up a tire in an emergency ? There are two types of cartridges - With and Without threads on the neck. Just make sure to buy the air-valve nozzle that accepts either type for ease of cartridge replacement.

After noticing a screw in my back tire and installing a temporary plug just ahead of a fast moving thunderstorm, the CO2 kit saved me a lot of grief when trying to quickly refill my tire. I've only used it one time when my air hose and tool kit was packed somewhere down in the bottom of a saddle bag.

If my wife is not traveling with me - I also like to place a small zippered soft sided travel bag on the right hand passenger foot board. I use this pouch for quick access to my soups and cans of chilli that I often eat for lunch. Simply tie the bag's strap to the frame around behind the side cover for security and use a bungee cord around it's middle. Zip it open when it's time to eat, pull your single burner propane stove out, pop the pull tab half open to allow the can to breath as it heats and in 15 minutes you're ready for a nap on top of a pick-nick table.

Michael, :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.