Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new GoldWing owner, I am looking forward to doing some touring. My wife rides along, so it's predictable that the luggage capacity is pretty maxed out. By the time, I take my cover, a few clothes for each of us and our toiletries, all the the space is about used up. We use the helmet locks under the top box...that takes care of part of the bulk...but here's my question: We both have rather bulky riding clothes...First Gear Kilamanjaro jackets and riding pants... What do you do with those when you stop? The jackets themselves would fill up the top box to the total exclusion of everthing else. I'm a bit baffled....what can i do with our jacket and pants during a stop?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rain gear goes in a bag on the luggage rack, with a little extra room. Then we each have a saddle bag for clothes. That leaves the trunk open for the lap top and ridding gear. My wife keeps her purse and a few other things in the trunk, which come out when we stop. We have found ways to cut back on clothes... use LD comfort undergarmets, which we rinse out each night. With riding gear and Gerbing heated liners, we do not need to pack heavy clothes. No jeans, just windbreaker pants, and light shorts and t-shirts.

·
Super Moderator
9,846 Posts
I have a trunk rack and bag that holds jackets, sweatshirts and other stuff that we can put on or take off during the ride. The trunk is for my daughters stuff and the side bags are for mine plus tools, rags and bike cover. We travel for a week so it can be done.

Remember there is always a Wallyworld somewhere if you need something. Ride safe..

·
Registered
691 Posts
I finally convinced Jeanne that real biker women dont need makeup or a purse. I agree on the light weight clothes and cutting down. In the older days my Dad would ride for three days, buy new clothes and mail his dirty ones home to my grandmother. Anyway, there are laundrymats in most towns and some motels.
Walmart sells rain gear in a pouch that works better, takes up less room and can be replaced at a reasonable price. just keep it away from hot exausts and valve covers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As a new GoldWing owner, I am looking forward to doing some touring. My wife rides along, so it's predictable that the luggage capacity is pretty maxed out. By the time, I take my cover, a few clothes for each of us and our toiletries, all the the space is about used up. We use the helmet locks under the top box...that takes care of part of the bulk...but here's my question: We both have rather bulky riding clothes...First Gear Kilamanjaro jackets and riding pants... What do you do with those when you stop? The jackets themselves would fill up the top box to the total exclusion of everthing else. I'm a bit baffled....what can i do with our jacket and pants during a stop?
Either one of these is a good option to haul more stuff.

rickrae

Attachments

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The more you travel the less stuff you will take, Each trip you will find out that you don't use al; the stuff you take. Big bulky riding gear is a problem. Get lighter jackets with removeable liners that will work in cold and warm weather. You don't need to change pants everyday so 2 or 3 pairs of jeans will last a week, and most motels have laundry rooms so you can do laundry on a long trip. I used a trunk rack with a rack bag attached and I had my rain gear and cold weather gear in that. Just don't overload it or it might cause cracks in the trunk lid. If you still need extra room and you don't want to haul a trailer, which if you do a lot of travling is the best way to go, you can get a pakit-rak system.
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/22945_pakit_rak/29386_gl1800_accessories_pakit_rak_for_gl1800_without/?goto=/pgroup_list/gl1800/22945_pakit_rak/mfg/

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have found during my biking years that one needs to realize the cubic area of manageable/safe cargo space of the bike as compared to that of a four wheeler.

To date, I have not been unable to convience my wife of this, if left up to her we would hang bags all over the bike while pulling a trailer, better still, "Two Trailers".

Still searching for solutions other than putting her on plane, train or in a car and having her meet me there. :D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Yes it can be done. When we traveled on our CB750 Custom, we had a set of Bagman soft bags, a Hein Gherick tank bag and a Hondaline tail trunk (remember those really 'nice' black textured plastic cases?) and still carried two small sleeping bags, a light airmattress and a two person tent. Leather jacket and riding pants we wore everyday, one spare pair of jeans each and a couple t-shirts, bathing suits and spare undies. Rain suits in pouches were stuffed in there somewhere (accessible) and still managed to pack a hand-axe and a folding camp shovel. When we got the GL1200, we still used the tank bag until we got the first trailer, and I kept using that on the Interceptor.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a Packing Tip for those who do not already do this.

Take all the cloths you are bringing and "ROLL" them up in a tight roll, do not fold them, ROLL them up! Jeans, shirts, undies, ect. Just roll them all up.
Do your self a favor and buy the GL1800 luggage bags from Wingstuff that are made for the GL1800.
Give one side bag to the wife and one is yours. Tell her what does not fit, does not go then start packing.

We went on a 4 day trip a while back and we did this. I managed to fit 4 full changes of cloths in my bag and she got 4 days worth in hers. They were tightly packed but because you have the bags that are shaped like the side bags on the wing, you can find ways to get it all in without having to load and unload it from the bike till it's all in and the doors close.

Once that was done, we filled the trunk bag up with shoes, boots, hair dryer, toiletries, ect and even managed to fit a laptop, camera and small soft side cooler.

So I know for a fact that 4 days of gear with a female passenger will fit in a wing.
Had we not had the bags from wingstuff and had we not rolled the cloths up like I explained, this would not have been possible.

Take my advice and get the bags, they really do make that big of a difference!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts